what do you keep in your hangar?

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
Can you suggest some must haves in a hangar? We have shelves and a table with chairs, what all do you keep in yours? Thanks

Tables with random aircraft parts, cleaning supplies, flight bag with charts, aircraft maint logs (not always there), tools, battery charger, broom.

Right now the whole place is covered in pollen.

A plane and I think there's a quart of oil in there too. Oh and an empty alternator box I've been meaning to remove.

...fridge, desk with paperwork, logs, various parts and tools, windshield cleaner/appropriate rags, oil and tools to change the oil, chairs of course and our Stratus that we leave plugged in and charging for the next guy.

If you do any owner assist stuff then you'll have more, like we do...including an old microfiche machine with all the manuals so our A&P can look stuff up in the hangar.

Cruiser bike to ride around the airport :yes:

Catch the latest episode of Horders to get aim idea of what some of the hangars I've seen have.

BBQ, got to have a BBQ to go with the fridge and good stereo. :yes:

In my Culpeper hanger I've got:

1. The plane (part of the time)
2. A filing cabinet with the logs, some additional supplies, etc...
3. A small table and chairs
4. A fridge and trashcan
5. A small workbench with a smattering of tools
6. Spare hydraulic fluid (it's a Navion after all)
7. Small air compressor (for inflating tires mostly)
8. Some random nonessential junk.
9. Small electric tow bar

In the North Carolina hangar:

1. A sink with hot/cold water, paper towels, and Gojo
2. Air compressor
3. Shelves with assorted parts, cleaning supplies, etc... and more hydraulic fluid.
4. Work bench with tools.
5. Projection stand with video projector, blue ray player, and wireless link for laptop
6. Shelves with boat supplies on it
7. Boat trailer and during the winter months a 24' Triple cockpit wooden runabout
8. Shelving for wood for the adjacent woodshop.
9. During the winter lots of lights and shelves for Margy's overwintering plants
10. Pig cooker.
11. Hydraulic lift so I can change the lightbulbs in the ceiling, etc...
12. Small electric tow bar
13. Movin' Cool portable air conditioner.
15. The plane (when not at CJR)
16. 2HP cyclone dust collector for the woodshop
17. Two storage rooms (one for general stuff, the other is party central which has all the party supplies and other seasonal stuff and also the laser printer).
18. Woodshop.
19. Stairs into the garage
20. Stairs into the rest of the house.

Last edited:
I have just a basic T hangar, so not a lot of room to turn into some exotic man cave, or toy box. Just the plane and stuff to work on the plane. I've got-

• 3x6 work bench with shelves, vise and two drawers.
  • Air compressor and hose reel with tire chuck and blow off.
  • Nut and bolt cabinet with AN hardware in it.
  • Battery chargers for my screw gun and Sidewinder electric tow.
  • Rolling dental cabinet full of tools.
  • Craftsman tool chest full of tools.
  • Shelving with supplies, parts, extension cords, larger tools.
  • Refrigerator.
  • Box fan for summer and space heater for winter.
  • Cabinet with lubes and cleaning supplies
  • Engine Hoist.
  • Wing Jacks.
  • Rolling Stool
  • 6' Ladder.
  • Oil change bucket.
  • Trash can, brooms, dust pan.
  • Sidewinder electric tug.
Non airplane stuff-

• Window air conditioner unit. Still scheming on how to use it in the hangar.
  • Small home drill press. Don't really need it, but somebody was throwing it out and being a scavenger I took it, spent about $20 fixing it and there it sits should I ever need it. I don't need it in my home shop because I have a much better one there.
  • Car ramps for changing oil on my car along with car oil change supplies and drain pan.
  • 3 speed bicycle. Another dumpster dive save. $25 later, she works great and I use it all the time to get around the airport.
  • Skateboard. What I used before the bike.
  • Two patio chairs.
  • Salvaged 8' florescent fixture I swear I'm going to put up someday.
Stuff I still want-

• More overhead lighting.
  • Adjustable creeper for rolling under the plane.
  • Better portable work lighting.
  • Small folding table for putting tools on while working.
  • Timer outlet for my compressor that I sometimes forget to turn off.
  • Motion sensor light to help get in at night.
  • Hangar fairy to fix the leaks in the roof, adjust the spring tension on the main hangar door and magically keep water from creeping under the walls.

Oh, the NC hangar also has an exposed i-beam with a trolley and 3 ton chain hoist. Haven't used it for the airplane, but I've pulled the transmission out of my boat and the engine out of a friend's boat with it.

A broom, lights, extension cords, spare oil. Then in a plastic tote I have microfiber towels, paper towels, aviation window polish, bug remover washer fluid, and dry wash/wax.

In the summer after each flight I spray down the leading edges of everything with the washer fluid to take the bugs off.

• air compressor for tires (2 gallon)
  • brooms
  • short ladder
  • step stool
  • creeper
  • cardboard sheets for lying on the floor if I don't use the creeper
  • 5-gallon pails of water as a supply, and a two-gallon pail for washing
  • winch for pulling the plane in, when it is icy
  • Battery Minder to trickle charge the 24V battery
  • extension cords
  • tool box
  • cart, from harbor freight, to wheel up to the cowling. Has oil, funnel, Battery Minder, extension cord for engine heater
  • sleeping bag to cover cowl when using engine heater
  • cleaning supplies
  • shoes to wear in plane, if my street shoes are muddy

our hangar costs 180/month to store my wife's boat. Her boat is expensive in many ways. OTOH my airplane costs nothing to keep a roof over.

Attachments

• hangar photo.jpg
    hangar photo.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 92
Table, extension cords, trouble light, battery minder, small air compressor, mountain bike to go in the plane, electric cart, push broom, regular broom, orbital buffer, trash barrel, oil, blankets, electric heater for warming the engine.

Cases of oil
All types of Cleaners
Micro fiber towels, normal towels, paper towels
Basic set of tools

Clock radio. Nice to rock out while cleaning the plane.

And a couple cigarette lighters so I can see into the tanks and check how full they are before a night flight.

I refuse to be one of these pilots that runs out of fuel. Don't want to be come a statistic.

And a couple cigarette lighters so I can see into the tanks and check how full they are before a night flight.

I refuse to be one of these pilots that runs out of fuel. Don't want to be come a statistic.

I find road flares or sparkler fireworks also work well.

All of the above, plus a beamer, an old XJS, and sometimes a hemi ... ;)

Fridge and microwave
Shelves with supplies like oil, paper tools, rags, polishing compound, etc. along with spare parts
Work bench with assorted tools
portable Air compressor
large box fan for the summer time
shop vac
table w/chairs
several ladders of different types and sizes
wheel chocks
hand cleaning station

In my Culpeper hanger I've got:

1. The plane (part of the time)
2. A filing cabinet with the logs, some additional supplies, etc...
3. A small table and chairs
4. A fridge and trashcan
5. A small workbench with a smattering of tools
6. Spare hydraulic fluid (it's a Navion after all)
7. Small air compressor (for inflating tires mostly)
8. Some random nonessential junk.
9. Small electric tow bar

In the North Carolina hangar:

1. A sink with hot/cold water, paper towels, and Gojo
2. Air compressor
3. Shelves with assorted parts, cleaning supplies, etc... and more hydraulic fluid.
4. Work bench with tools.
5. Projection stand with video projector, blue ray player, and wireless link for laptop
6. Shelves with boat supplies on it
7. Boat trailer and during the winter months a 24' Triple cockpit wooden runabout
8. Shelving for wood for the adjacent woodshop.
9. During the winter lots of lights and shelves for Margy's overwintering plants
10. Pig cooker.
11. Hydraulic lift so I can change the lightbulbs in the ceiling, etc...
12. Small electric tow bar
13. Movin' Cool portable air conditioner.
15. The plane (when not at CJR)
16. 2HP cyclone dust collector for the woodshop
17. Two storage rooms (one for general stuff, the other is party central which has all the party supplies and other seasonal stuff and also the laser printer).
18. Woodshop.
19. Stairs into the garage
20. Stairs into the rest of the house.

No FAR/AIM?

Single Malt Scotch, Crown Royal, Gin and Tonic Water, Cigars, BB Guns, Scooter, Golf Cart, R/C Planes PLUS, all the other airplane crap mentioned above.

Mike in NJ

P.S. Upstairs has Home Theater with projector, hooked up to an Xbox for rainy days. Futon also for whenever.

I'm confident that I've posted this here before...

Just remember, that if you put "electrical appliances" in your hangar (i.e. refrigerators, air compressors, radios, etc.) then please do everyone a favor and keep them at "table top" height or higher.

There's a reason outlets in a hangar that was built to code are at light switch height. It's because gas fumes are heavier than air and they sink to the ground.

No doubt about it...no fool should fuel an aircraft in an enclosed hangar.

But it's also a fool who leaves electrical appliances sitting on the floor waiting for the gas vapors to arrive from a neighboring hangar. Also, fuel bladders, sumps, etc., can and do spring leaks.

Live electrical components, or worse, unsealed motors at floor level, can spell disaster.

I won't even keep extension cords plugged in and laying on the floor.

I also approach all electrical devices in my garage at home with the same caution. Everything electrical is kept at least 3' off the floor.

Granted, the chances are probably quite slim...but it's not a chance that I'm willing to take especially since I'm in a ten unit T-hangar and could affect many others.

high wings are nice for that

Yessiree..... :yes:

I'm confident that I've posted this here before...

Just remember, that if you put "electrical appliances" in your hangar (i.e. refrigerators, air compressors, radios, etc.) then please do everyone a favor and keep them at "table top" height or higher.

There's a reason outlets in a hangar that was built to code are at light switch height. It's because gas fumes are heavier than air and they sink to the ground.

No doubt about it...no fool should fuel an aircraft in an enclosed hangar.

But it's also a fool who leaves electrical appliances sitting on the floor waiting for the gas vapors to arrive from a neighboring hangar. Also, fuel bladders, sumps, etc., can and do spring leaks.

Live electrical components, or worse, unsealed motors at floor level, can spell disaster.

I won't even keep extension cords plugged in and laying on the floor.

I also approach all electrical devices in my garage at home with the same caution. Everything electrical is kept at least 3' off the floor.

Granted, the chances are probably quite slim...but it's not a chance that I'm willing to take especially since I'm in a ten unit T-hangar and could affect many others.

That's some good advice right there .... :yes:

Something not mentioned:

Fire extinguisher

great advice up above. I always wonder about the fume situation. Its much like a boat. I had fumes ignite in a boat once. not fun. everyone was safe, my arm hair was not.

I find road flares or sparkler fireworks also work well.

A little dramatic - a Hoyo de Monterey Epicure no. 1 works fine fine. I dip it in until I hear the quenching noise.

A little dramatic - a Hoyo de Monterey Epicure no. 1 works fine fine. I dip it in until I hear the quenching noise.

I had to google it.
But then I had a good laugh

Mine was my man cave, so I had a TV, Fridge, microwave, poker table, BBQ grill plus all my tools and cleaning supplies.

A Jon boat, my wife's mosaic studio, an RV10, and a mess I need clean up.

A big hangar is a joy and a curse.

Something not mentioned:

Fire extinguisher

The Culpeper hangar doesn't have one (there's two in the plane), it probably should. There are both hand extinguishers and a halon/dry chemical automatic system in the NC hangar.

Back