neuropsych testing

jd1368

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jd1368
Does anyone have any idea as to the relative cost of neuropsychiatric testing? I'm looking to get a class 3 medical, but have a formal diagnosis of substance abuse in my history. 3 yrs of documented sobriety including over 180 negative drug tests (chain of custody testing) over that time. I think it's kinda crazy that for a class 3 with that kind of evidence of recovery they would require formal neuropsychiatric and psychologic evaluations.. but it's my understanding it is what I'll have to do. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Thanks

You are correct that it is what the FAA requires, and I think it's a positive sign that you accept that fact. For reliable, factual information on the process and its costs, I suggest you contact Dr. Bruce Chien at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com. He is one of the nation's experts on difficult aviation medical certifications, with deep experience in such problems.

My best wishes to you. Congratulations on three years.

The standard PPP work up as far as the testing they want will run you about $1000 typically. The MMPI is pretty typical and it's computer scored but the others require interpretive analysis by the shrink administering them and that takes time. The really pricey part is what the psychiatrist will want to evaluate you (may take more than one session with him) and write his report. Of course if you have providers who are already familiar with you, you may be ahead of the game on this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back