I get to fly a ...

Those birds sure do get around. Are they that "cheap" to operate?

Have fun!

Those birds sure do get around. Are they that "cheap" to operate?

Depends on your definition of 'cheap'. They typically run around $1000-$1500/hr to operate. Cheap compared to a Citation or Gulfstream.

Enjoy!

Let us know how it handles.

Flying new planes is fun!

I flew is a Christian Eagle today for spin & acro training. The response is amazing.

Have a great time,a flight you will remember forever.

Have fun. Enjoy the ride.

I'm looking forward to it! However, I bet the helmet will be too big... So, I'm gonna take a knit hat to wear under it in the hopes it will snug it up a tad.
It's all good, but I sure don't want the helmet dipping over my eyes :D

Nah, I really haven't even been able to fly it but 2 hrs since I got her home....

Its just that the guy in the jet agreed to take me up for a hop. My husband, Kevin, went over and asked him while I was up in the 152 with a student and told me when I got back. Prolly only 20 mins since I'm buying the fuel... We'll see how it goes. Turns out he's a long time good friend of one of my students. They used to play polo together when they were younger. Maybe he'll give me a break on the cost....

I've already looked at The specs for the aircraft and PDF checklists and written down the V speeds ... Don't know how much he's going to let me fly, he isn't a CFI and doesn't know me but he knows I fly acro and tomorrow he'll know I'm teaching his good buddy ... I'm hoping to do some competition turns and rolls and maybe a 3G loop and just go fast. I love fast.

Love the L-39 and its a fun bird.

The only other bird that I enjoyed flying more was the T2 buckeye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hangar partner owns a half interest in one but he's trying to sell it. I helped him rework some of the avionics and O2 systems but so far I've never gotten a ride in it.

Well, we flew the aircraft today. Sweet plane. If I had a LOT more money I believe I'd get one for fun for about a year.... Sucks fuel like a big dog though, wouldn't really want to feed it but hey, it was fun.
I was surprised at how quiet it was. And how really I couldn't tell how fast we were going without looking at the AS. We did do a low approach at high speed and that was obvious as we were very near the runway.
We started aileron rolls from 210 and loops from 320. We did some other just winging around too. It was interesting to start the dive for speed for a loop at 14,500. We lost about 2500' in the dive before the pull.

Anyway, it was swell. Easier to manage than the eagle in some ways. I couldn't reach the rudders but since it's a jet that was ok and I could reach the stick :D

I'll try to post a picture in the next day or so.

Well, we flew the aircraft today. Sweet plane. If I had a LOT more money I believe I'd get one for fun for about a year.... Sucks fuel like a big dog though, wouldn't really want to feed it but hey, it was fun.
I was surprised at how quiet it was. And how really I couldn't tell how fast we were going without looking at the AS. We did do a low approach at high speed and that was obvious as we were very near the runway.
We started aileron rolls from 210 and loops from 320. We did some other just winging around too. It was interesting to start the dive for speed for a loop at 14,500. We lost about 2500' in the dive before the pull.

Anyway, it was swell. Easier to manage than the eagle in some ways. I couldn't reach the rudders but since it's a jet that was ok and I could reach the stick :D

How much did you end up paying for fuel?

I'll post pics later tonight.......

We flew about 20 mins. Fuel burn roughly 180 gph :)

Awesome!

Did it have the bicycle grip brakes?

Yes. And he was going to have me taxi back after the landing but I couldn't reach even after I loosened my shoulder harnesses and leaned forward at an angle from my seat. The stick has to stay full forward to keep full weight on the nose for a pressure switch for the brakes so, I didn't get to try the differential hand brake taxi routine.

Last edited:
I'll post pics later tonight.......

We flew about 20 mins. Fuel burn roughly 180 gph :)

180GPH! Oh My.
I've been meaning to ask. Do you do tail wheel endorsements? Been looking for an excuse to make the drive out there from good old Alvin.

Sorry, I can't do tailwheel endorsements as I no longer have a plane that is good for that.
But, if you come out this way be sure to get in touch.

Back