iPad Air: black or white? 64 or 128?

mswmsw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mswmsw
I am finally going to join the 21st century, and get an iPad Air. It'll primarily be used for flying and aviation related apps. I will be putting ForeFlight on it immediately, and probably other apps as well later on. I will also probably be putting some digital copies of various aircraft manuals, POH's and training handbooks/manuals on it too. My questions are:

#1. Has anyone noticed any difference in the quality or viewability of viewing maps and ForeFlight stuff, with a black bezel versus white bezel on the iPad Air? Also, has anyone noticed that the iPad Air with black bezel is more prone to overheating in the cockpit than the iPad Air with a white bezel?

#2. 64G or 128?

#3. Is AppleCare+ worth it for the iPad Air?

My white ipad is noticeably cooler in the sun than my black one was. I'd highly suggest white. 64 gb should be more than sufficient, unless you're planning on having a ton of media on it. I have pretty much every option downloading in foreflight and it only occupies something like 13 gb.

I got black because I didn't want to look at the bright white. I've experienced no heat issues.

I originally got 32GB....then 64GB....and my latest Air is 128GB. I'm not using even half of it, but I like knowing I have the extra capacity.

And you WILL use it for more than aviation stuff. Mine is with me all the time.

When I bought my first iPad I thought I would use for flying mainly also. It basically obsoleted all my other computers ( laptop, desk). I use it for just about everything but updating databases. Mine also is with me all the time. I have a iPad Air 128 now and love it. I especially like it's slightly shorter stance and how light it is.

I've got a white 128GB, but if I were using this only for FF and aviation apps I'd probably just get a 32GB model. I've had both black and white iPads and I've had the black one overheat. I've never overheated a white one.

I have a white 64Gb and I enjoy it, use it as a supplement to my MacBook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a white 128GB, but if I were using this only for FF and aviation apps I'd probably just get a 32GB model. I've had both black and white iPads and I've had the black one overheat. I've never overheated a white one.
I think 32GB is a bit low for aviation only use. Granted you can load all of FF in a bit less than half of 32GB but with what the OS and typical app suite occupies you won't be able to update without first deleting what's about to expire if you put anything else on it. 64GB should be plenty though for anyone that doesn't store videos. And chances are if you eventually run out of room you could sell your 64GB iPad and buy a 128GB one for difference about equal to what the extra memory costs today.

I am finally going to join the 21st century, and get an iPad Air. It'll primarily be used for flying and aviation related apps. I will be putting ForeFlight on it immediately, and probably other apps as well later on. I will also probably be putting some digital copies of various aircraft manuals, POH's and training handbooks/manuals on it too. My questions are:

#1. Has anyone noticed any difference in the quality or viewability of viewing maps and ForeFlight stuff, with a black bezel versus white bezel on the iPad Air? Also, has anyone noticed that the iPad Air with black bezel is more prone to overheating in the cockpit than the iPad Air with a white bezel?

I've only ever owned black iPads, but the only time I've had one overheat was when I left it sitting on the black glare shield on a sunny day for an entire fuel stop. When we went to leave, it was so hot I almost couldn't touch it.

So... I wouldn't worry about the color too much, provided you don't put it on an already hot glare shield on a sunny day! ;)

#2. 64G or 128?

64G is enough, but I've long had a policy of maxing out my devices when I buy them, and I've never regretted it. By the time you NEED more, it's generally not worth upgrading the device you have, and in the case of an iPad, not possible. So you buy a new one. By maxing out memory and storage when I buy, the longevity of my devices is much improved.

#3. Is AppleCare+ worth it for the iPad Air?

Yes, yes, YES! And I'm a guy who NEVER goes for extended-warranty type plans, but IIRC it costs about $60 for an iPad, and I guess someone at the Apple Store talked me into it when I bought my mini. Later, I had it in my pocket and it caught on the door frame when I sat in my car, shattering the screen, bending the case, and breaking a bunch of the innards. Because I had AppleCare+, I got a brand-new one for 50 bucks. So, it's already paid for itself.

And I managed to crack the screen on the new one recently. Again, by putting it somewhere that I probably shouldn't have because the little bugger is so darn convenient! So it'll pay for itself again soon.

Mine lives in an OtterBox case.

Cannot imagine carrying a naked iPad, at least the way I end up abusing things in real life.

iPhone as well. Has saved me many times over.

Oh, never bought AppleCare and never would have needed it if I had (to date, anyway).

Mine lives in an OtterBox case.

Cannot imagine carrying a naked iPad, at least the way I end up abusing things in real life.

iPhone as well. Has saved me many times over.

Oh, never bought AppleCare and never would have needed it if I had (to date, anyway).

An OtterBox likely obviates the need for AppleCare+, but I think it costs more. :rofl: They're definitely tough, but they're also really bulky and prevent you from sliding devices into your pocket easily.

I have the iPad naked so I don't have to try to peel a case off it to drop it in the RAM mount to go flying.

Incidentally, I use the OtterBox cover as my RAM mount, with appropriate SuperLok tape.

12908199974_49685c6abc.jpg

12926639325_89792065d8.jpg

For me, keeping my phone from sliding easily out of my breast pocket is a benefit, not a drawback!

Last edited:
I'd look at SquareTrade for iPad warranty. http://www.squaretrade.com/ipad-warranty
It includes accidental damage coverage.

You have to get the coverage within 30 days of purchase with SquareTrade or AppleCare.

I didn't get SquareTrade in time, so I got a LifeProof case as my "insurance."

Last edited:
Mine is:

1. Black (I have not experienced heat issues)
2. 128 (you can't add on memory so I wanted the max)
3. Got Wifi and Cell option
4. Like Apple Care

I have music, a full EFB (Foreflight and other apps) as well as training apps, training resources, POH and other documents loaded on the iPad. I've used 68G so far.

There you have it....but that's just my preferences.

Last edited:
I succumbed to the Dark Side last month, and switched from Android over to an iPhone 5S and a white 128GB iPad Air. I somewhat regret making the change with the phone, but already the iPad has proven to be much more useful - inside the cockpit and out - than my Galaxy Tab 10.1 ever was. Garmin Pilot also runs far, far more smoothly.

Color is a matter of personal preference, but get as much memory as you can afford. Better to have too much than too little, and looking for files to delete in order to make room for new ones (as I'm doing right now with my "old" 32GB iPod Touch) is a PITA.

I went with black and 128Gb on my new Air, but I also use iPhoto and keep a lot of photos.

So... I wouldn't worry about the color too much, provided you don't put it on an already hot glare shield on a sunny day! ;)

I was doing a short cross country with a buddy this weekend (120nm each way). OAT was 6C at our altitude. Full sunny day. I'm in the left seat (DA40XLS) with my white iPad Air, he's in the right seat with a black iPad 3 or 4. 30 minutes into the flight his shutdown with the overheat warning. Mine kept going all the way there and back.

For the airplane I have a black 64g MAXiPad. Works great, never had any issues for heating with it at all.

For personal use I use a white MINiPad. Sized for my everyday data needs. I like it much better than the MAXiPAD for everything other than Foreflight which looks better on the larger display.

White will stay [marginally cooler] its more about if the wife already has a white one - then you want black - you never want to take the wrong one to the airport.

128 - ALWAYS get the most memory you can

You can live with wifi only if you have a phone that can be used as a 4G hotspot.

Verizon - sorry everyone else- biggest, widest most accessible 4G network.

Applecare? No -

The things either fail immediately [infant mortality] or they will last years - we still have our iPad 1 bought in October 2010 - still works fine.

White will stay [marginally cooler] its more about if the wife already has a white one - then you want black - you never want to take the wrong one to the airport.

You can live with wifi only if you have a phone that can be used as a 4G hotspot.

Applecare? No -

The things either fail immediately [infant mortality] or they will last years - we still have our iPad 1 bought in October 2010 - still works fine.

Ha! I just bought my wife an iPad for her birthday...got her white since I have black!

I buy AppleCare within the 30 days more as an insurance policy against accidental damage than as an extended warranty for technical problems. Seems pretty cheap insurance, especially on a $1000 item. (128G Air Verizon)

Applecare? No -

Applecare's deal on screen breakage is worth it if you know you're hard on gear. 3 replacements at significantly discounted prices, and the total of the AppleCare plus the first couple of replacements doesn't add up to the price of a new one.

Applecare's deal on screen breakage is worth it if you know you're hard on gear. 3 replacements at significantly discounted prices, and the total of the AppleCare plus the first couple of replacements doesn't add up to the price of a new one.

I watched a new iPad slip from a student's hands and land just right on the corner of it so as to crack the screen.

I haven't broke one yet....but I attribute that to having had AppleCare! ;) Without it, I have no doubt disaster would have struck one of mine!

I think 32GB is a bit low for aviation only use. Granted you can load all of FF in a bit less than half of 32GB but with what the OS and typical app suite occupies you won't be able to update without first deleting what's about to expire if you put anything else on it.

Only if you insist on having the entire country on there. I have basically everything east of the Mississippi, VFR and low-enroute, and it's like 5.7GB. I actually went down from a 64GB iPad3 to a 32GB mini retina and space is a non-issue, even with a gig of music and 10 gigs of videos.

64GB should be plenty though for anyone that doesn't store videos.
Still disagree... that's PLENTY of space even with videos.

And chances are if you eventually run out of room you could sell your 64GB iPad and buy a 128GB one for difference about equal to what the extra memory costs today.
Agreed. It's not a big deal if you decide you need to upgrade down the line.

You can get a screen for under $100 - replaced - in pretty much any city with a large college . . . there are people working at a loss and trying to make it up on volume

Back