Anti virus recommendation

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Mt wife still has XP on her computer. What anti-virus should I buy for her ? She doesn't want to upgrade to a new operating system.

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

ESET NOD32 still runs on XP. It's also my current favorite antivirus. They offer a free trial.

-Rich

Microsoft Security Essentials will still run and update until July 14, 2015. Free. As good as any (but we like NOD32, too). You must realize this... NO ANTIVIRUS PRODUCT REALLY PROTECTS YOU FROM MOST ATTACKS. Every day we remove malware/viruses from computers (Macs too) that have top name-brand antivirus installed. Norton/McAfee/NOD/Trend/MSE/WebRoot... you name it.
Most viruses no longer attack holes in the operating system or browsers. They've found it much easier to attack YOU. If they can trick you into clicking something, they are home free, and even the best antivirus can't stop it - because you OK'd the installation.
The best Antivirus program lives between your ears.
With XP, it's possible the criminal syndicates will turn back to directly attacking the OS, as it won't be patched any more.... time will tell.

Last edited:
I like security essentials, avast is okay, eset is cool, there are a few options for now. I don't know how long AV vendors will support XP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on XP, but on W7 Zone Alarm has turned my internet from reasonably fast to are you kidding me no page loads slow. Stay away from ZA. I have done all the typical fixes and nothing works. Its a ZA known problem.

ESET NOD32 still runs on XP. It's also my current favorite antivirus. They offer a free trial.

-Rich

I used this and it worked well to get a couple bad actors Malwarebytes missed. But then it started crashing my system on startup, and giving me continuous "kernel communication" errors. Tried all the fixes I could find, got nowhere. Finally used the ESET uninstaller, but it it won't remove the startup file. I deactivated it from the start menu, but the start executable won't go away.

SpyBot, AVG Free, & MalwareBytes. All free. Also make sure you get the weekly download of Microsoft's security software (for as long it they continue to support XP for malware).

Run away as fast as possible from Norton.

I used this and it worked well to get a couple bad actors Malwarebytes missed. But then it started crashing my system on startup, and giving me continuous "kernel communication" errors. Tried all the fixes I could find, got nowhere. Finally used the ESET uninstaller, but it it won't remove the startup file. I deactivated it from the start menu, but the start executable won't go away.

Have you tried booting to your favorite live Linux distro (or ERD if you have it) and banishing it that way? Then just remove any remaining registry entries.

That being said, ESET's probably the only antivirus I've had in a decade that hasn't misbehaved on me -- yet. I don't own shares in the company, so I'm not married to them. I've been using it for about four years, though, which I think may be a record for me for antivirus.

-Rich

Back