I got laid off

Why do people expect you to wear a suit to an interview? I worked at Bell for 5-6 years, and I can honestly say, I have NEVER seen anyone wear a suit, except people walking around who were in an interview process.

I haven't worn a suit since a high-school dance. It does not fit anymore. People seem to expect me to go out and potentially pay $300-$400 for a cheap suit, that I most likely won't wear again anytime soon? Why? Pay $400 for a suit, when I am clearly in a situation where spare money is non existent? They (Hr/employers) know I won't wear a suit as part of the job, why am I expected to put on a fake display?

I'm not talking about showing up to an interview in sandals, shorts, and a tank top, but, why do people seem to think that wearing nice pants, and a basic shirt/tie combo isn't enough?

sorry, rant over... Just arguing with my mom.

Two reasons, it shows respect for yourself and for those interviewing you. Old fashioned, sure. Still part of the business culture, absolutely. Will you wear a suit on day 1, probably not -- unless you are in sales and even then it has become less common.

As someone who has hired hundreds over the past 30 years, anything you do to set yourself apart from the crowd makes an impression. Whether it is a positive or negative impression is up to you -- the guy who showed up with a "rather be fishin" tie did get hired. For honesty... Turned out to be one of the best hires I ever made.

Why do people expect you to wear a suit to an interview? I worked at Bell for 5-6 years, and I can honestly say, I have NEVER seen anyone wear a suit, except people walking around who were in an interview process.

I haven't worn a suit since a high-school dance. It does not fit anymore. People seem to expect me to go out and potentially pay $300-$400 for a cheap suit, that I most likely won't wear again anytime soon? Why? Pay $400 for a suit, when I am clearly in a situation where spare money is non existent? They (Hr/employers) know I won't wear a suit as part of the job, why am I expected to put on a fake display?

I'm not talking about showing up to an interview in sandals, shorts, and a tank top, but, why do people seem to think that wearing nice pants, and a basic shirt/tie combo isn't enough?

sorry, rant over... Just arguing with my mom.

A) because that's what's expected for an interview in most places.
B) because in many companies folks are expected to wear suits for certain jobs, events, or functions. Customer-facing folks (sales, capture, etc) it's expected (though tech folks generally not unless they're meeting customer leaders.
C) Makes you look good. Though lay off the cologne.
D) In some cities and cultures it's still the expectation.

What are, cultural norms and whether or not you feel like playing such games, for 500, Alex.

And yet I've lost jobs because I was too well dressed. Too often every one of the employees at the interview are in jeans and tshirts, even the manager. When I was on the other side, interviewing prospective employees I made sure I was dressed professionally - might not be the suit but definitely business casual.

I interviewed at a placement company once (who shall remain nameless but goes by the initials Robert Half) and was told I was inappropriately dressed. It was 95 deg, summer, and I was in a khaki suit.

My response, as I walked out the door, was to mention that among the companies I've worked for, with extensive customer interaction, were Exxon & Boeing, and in my younger days, my mother would NEVER let me out the door if I wasn't dressed properly.

Should have told them to eff themselves, and that you never actually intended to take their lousy job anyway, and that you interviewed with them just confirm what scum they really are.

All this ridiculous bs has gone way out of hand!

And yet I've lost jobs because I was too well dressed. Too often every one of the employees at the interview are in jeans and tshirts, even the manager. When I was on the other side, interviewing prospective employees I made sure I was dressed professionally - might not be the suit but definitely business casual.

I almost lost out on a job in a similar way - I suited up, showed up for the interview, and was met by my future boss, who was in a t-shirt and jeans. The interview went really well, and later, he told me that the suit almost made him pass me over because he wasn't sure I'd fit in with the team.

You can get past it - its not always easy, and sometimes, the subjective stuff seems unfair, but if you interview really well, I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed any day.

It helps that I make a suit look good. :)

Your first post in this thread was on 26 January and your Linked-In profile is essentially blank. That thing should look better than your resume! Hang it out there for the world to see.

BTW, I keep getting suggested jobs for a Project Engineer position with Beech in Wichita, Kansas. I know that is not WHERE you want, but Beech is doing well and they are hiring.

Jim
A couple of more hints & tips I've learned if I may: if you would be embarrassed to have your mother visit your Facebook page, better get that cleaned up too. Employers look.

Oh, and have bad credit, bounced checks, and bills in collections? Your credit history will be checked. I was about to hire a guy who seemed like a good fit, until we learned he was a deadbeat financially.

A couple of more hints & tips I've learned if I may: if you would be embarrassed to have your mother visit your Facebook page, better get that cleaned up too. Employers look.

Oh, and have bad credit, bounced checks, and bills in collections? Your credit history will be checked. I was about to hire a guy who seemed like a good fit, until we learned he was a deadbeat financially.

So, unemployed and can't pay your bills makes you unemployable? Sounds like a bit of a Catch 22....

This makes me quite glad my employer looks at the bigger picture. I may have been a financial failure previously but that doesnt mean I will be a terrible employee. Credit history should play a part in certain positions but not be the only qualifier. Someone with perfect credit can turn out to be the next bankruptcy---

Security clearances are often roughly 70% about your financials and 30% about character. Broke people take bribes to hand over secrets.

Did not know that about security clearances... Most enemies of the state could afford to pay enough to make it "significant money" for almost anyone, I would assume.

Then again, I suppose it would be difficult to "hide" and launder 7 figures...

Welp, I was one of the unfortunate ones who got laid off this past week. I got walked out on Thursday.

I was the sole provider for my little family (wife and pets). My wife was trying to go back to school.

Needless to say, I have to make extreme cuts to make my severance last as long as possible, while I look for new jobs.

I have done all of the "obvious" things. I am making extreme spending cuts, I have applied for unemployment benefits, I have been updating my resume, and have started the tedious process of searching for a new job.

I suppose I can really try to pick up free-lance ground instructing in the mean time.

My Linkedin profile is here:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-stoner/3a/93/540

If you are genuinely interested, I can send you my resume.

If anyone has any good leads of a structural engineering (aerospace/mechanical engineer) position in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area, I would greatly appreciate it. I know Aviation is a somewhat small world.

This past July my company missed payroll. I was not 'walked out' as I was on vacation in Europe. The paycheck just didn't show up and I was out of work. My severance pay was great, in the sense that it was easy to count...zero.

So, I got laid off, no severance and was in Europe. Did I make a whiny post? No. So, I say...enjoy your severance pay and 'suck it up cupcake'.

BTW, my state has the absolute WORST unemployment benefits ever. $295 per week and that's lower than all the rest. I was making $2,300 per week. So...in terms of insurance, I crash a BMW through no fault of my own and the insurance pays me for a KIA...great f'ing state I live in.

I'm only here under court order...kids from a prior marriage and such. Bottom line, Florida sux. Full of old retired ding dongs from other states that refuse to fund education and vote republican so my unemployment....excuse me..."re-employment' benefits blow chunks.

Seriously, GOP controlled states are by far and away the worst! I had a six figure job that went out of business and now I have to live on $12K a year. Total BS. I paid into unemployment. I did my part. But the GOP governor has seen to it that I get screwed along with all the other unfortunate souls out there.

Why you people continue to watch Faux and berate the democrats is beyond me. You know they don't care about you either...they just play to your fear.

What's the latest?? Oh yeah...the Presidents 'Mom Jeans". There ya go...rally behind that. Ya know when your news source has a talking point of 'mom jeans' then they must be on to something serious!

F'ing retards.

Seriously, GOP controlled states are by far and away the worst! I had a six figure job that went out of business and now I have to live on $12K a year. Total BS. I paid into unemployment. I did my part. But the GOP governor has seen to it that I get screwed along with all the other unfortunate souls out there.

You didn't pay into state unemployment insurance. Your employer did (it's that 'you didn't build that' thing).

This past July my company missed payroll. I was not 'walked out' as I was on vacation in Europe. The paycheck just didn't show up and I was out of work. My severance pay was great, in the sense that it was easy to count...zero.

So, I got laid off, no severance and was in Europe. Did I make a whiny post? No. So, I say...enjoy your severance pay and 'suck it up cupcake'.

BTW, my state has the absolute WORST unemployment benefits ever. $295 per week and that's lower than all the rest. I was making $2,300 per week. So...in terms of insurance, I crash a BMW through no fault of my own and the insurance pays me for a KIA...great f'ing state I live in.

I'm only here under court order...kids from a prior marriage and such. Bottom line, Florida sux. Full of old retired ding dongs from other states that refuse to fund education and vote republican so my unemployment....excuse me..."re-employment' benefits blow chunks.

Why you people continue to watch Faux and berate the democrats is beyond me. You know they don't care about you either...they just play to your fear.

What's the latest?? Oh yeah...the Presidents 'Mom Jeans". There ya go...rally behind that. Ya know when your news source has a talking point of 'mom jeans' then they must be on to something serious!

F'ing retards.

At $2300 per week, my math says you should have been able to toss a few bucks in savings here and there not have to depend on the government to take care of you. If you're worth six figures a year, it shouldn't be terribly hard to find something better than unemp.

At $2300 per week, my math says you should have been able to toss a few bucks in savings here and there not have to depend on the government to take care of you. If you're worth six figures a year, it shouldn't be terribly hard to find something better than unemp.

Lateral mobility in aviation is not one of the industry strong suits.

F'ing retards.

I think you finally got the whiny post in. ;)

Sorry you're looking for work.

At my "aviation" college in the 90s, they had a whole semester on company bankruptcies, layoffs, Union disputes, and story after story of people going broke.

It was titled, "Aviation History". :). Mandatory course, even...

F'ing retards.

So, other than that, every thing is just fine.

Just thought I would update this....

I sucked it up and bought a suit (well, not quite, I bought some nice stuff, shirt/tie/sports coat at Mens Warehouse)

I had my first actual interview March 18th, and I GOT A JOB OFFER!

hey, congrats! we need more details though!

Come on, what kind of suit?

Nice! What type of work is it?

Gerhardt:

Its an Egara shirt, Nautica Tie, and a Wilke Rodriguez jacket.

ebykowsky:

Its an Engineer Structural II position doing Durability and Damage Tolerance (DaDT)/Fatigue evaluation type work.

I sucked it up and bought a suit (well, not quite, I bought some nice stuff, shirt/tie/sports coat at Mens Warehouse)

I had my first actual interview March 18th, and I GOT A JOB OFFER!

See, buy a suit, get a job :yes:

Congratulations !

Gerhardt:

Its an Egara shirt, Nautica Tie, and a Wilke Rodriguez jacket.

ebykowsky:

Its an Engineer Structural II position doing Durability and Damage Tolerance (DaDT)/Fatigue evaluation type work.
Congratulations!

'Gimp

I was hoping you would update us with that good new! Congratulations!

There may not have been a direct cause and effect due to the suit, but obviously, it didn't hurt. And now you have some nice duds.

My nice duds haven't left the closet since starting my job nine weeks ago. Before this round of interviews, they spent the last several years in the closet, too. Even weddings and funerals are now business casual at best. But sometimes you gotta play the game.

Congratulations. Good luck with your new endeavor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicely done. Congratulations!

Im not going to start saying bad things about where I used to work, but working somewhere else has been eye opening.

I worked at my last job right out of college in 2009 till earlier this year. It was my only professional experience. Now, I'm learning a ton of new ways to do things. Very eye opening to see how other companies do things.

Im definitely gaining some valuable experience now.

Back