Flying "secrets" - I assume most of these are BS?

"The captain has almost limitless authority when the doors are closed. He is allowed to arrest people, write fines and even take the will of a dying passenger"

Wow - cool! I had no idea I could do all that!

"The captain has almost limitless authority when the doors are closed. He is allowed to arrest people, write fines and even take the will of a dying passenger"

Dude - I'm going to start arresting and fining right away!

22. Why would you care that the flight is carrying organs?

24. Why is is a bad thing that airplanes can glide a long way?

27. True. Performance is worse on hot days. Any pilot knows this.

29. I think the signal USED TO BE wing flaps down but they don't use that method any more.

30. That one is true. When we picked up our airplane I tried to decline the ashtray but was told that we needed it in case we were ramp checked because it's a required piece of equipment for the reason stated.

Last edited:
Pretty funny stuff! I hope they were joking.:D

I was mostly fixating on three things:

Baby poo on the trays
Disgusting coffee water - you mean they don't use bottled water? I assumed they used bottled water.
Blankets that you take out a plastic wrapper (sealed, no less) that aren't clean. Say that isn't so? I know that if it's not wrapped it has been re-used (and I won't touch it) but in a wrapper?

Considering the author's research consisted of a reddit thread, I'd take what was report with slight less than a grain of salt. Another stupid clickbait article.

I love the sources they used....my dad was a pilot and so what he told me must be true.

Blankets that you take out a plastic wrapper (sealed, no less) that aren't clean. Say that isn't so? I know that if it's not wrapped it has been re-used (and I won't touch it) but in a wrapper?

It may vary between airlines, but all they have to do is run the blankets through a shrink wrap machine and you think you are getting a fresh blanket or headset.

Just like hotel maid service. Some clean things better than others.

"Most of the time we fly slower than normal to make more money. The only time we fly fast is if ATC tells us to or if it’s the go home leg."

Um, dudes.... aren't you guys salaried?

I think the comments are better then the original 30 secrets
Pilot here – most people don’t know this… but the plane is actually flying upside down for the majority of the trip! It’s supposed to help with air sickness.

I'd sound like Oprah up there. "And you're under arrest! And you're under arrest! And you're under arrest! Everybody is under arrest!"

Not being a germophobe and having a private pilot level of aviation knowledge, nothing on that list was particularly surprising or bothersome.

"Most of the time we fly slower than normal to make more money. The only time we fly fast is if ATC tells us to or if it’s the go home leg."

Paid by the flight hour actually.

Some parents with babies don't care a lick about anyone but themselves (and certainly not their babies). I've seen some parents do some truly disgusting things with baby diapers. When my son was a baby, we carried plastic bags to wrap the diapers in but I've seen parents just toss the thing in the trash and in a couple of cases, just leave them on the sink because they didn't want to use the trash.
I doubt the tray tables could support a 6 pound baby and they certainly aren't large enough for a toddler.

They also do it to screw over the airline. If the union isn't getting along with management they will fly as slow as possible to be:

One- Late
Two - Duty Day Time out

I talked to a guy that flies for a regional. He said lately they been trying to stick it to the airline. The goal is either to get more money from management or fail the airline.

Last edited:
I talked to a guy that flies for a regional. He said lately they been trying to stick it to the airline. The goal is either to get more money from management or fail the airline.

That's about as irrational and infantile as it gets. If they can afford to fail the airline then they can afford to quit and work someplace they like better.

That's about as irrational and infantile as it gets. If they can afford to fail the airline then they can afford to quit and work someplace they like better.

We all win when we vote Union Yes! Or so the thugs at union told me...

LOL - maybe for a ship's master in international waters during the Age of Sail.

I loved the comment about PEDs and their inability to bring down the plane. True, however there is still the potential to interfere with NAV/COM systems. Oh well, that argument is over and you can use your tablets throughout the flight. Now I must might have to get a window seat so the GPS in my NEXUS 7 can keep up with where we are using Garmin Pilot. I already load in the filed flight plane (collected from FlightAware). :D

What the one about landing harder in rain on wet runways to break through the water barrier? I don't believe it. Is this true?

I was mostly fixating on three things:

Baby poo on the trays
Disgusting coffee water - you mean they don't use bottled water? I assumed they used bottled water.

Trays? Possible. I have seen women changing diapers on tray tables. I can almost guarantee that some seat cushions have been peed upon.

Coffee water is not bottled. It comes from plane water tanks.

I know folks that have gotten blankets that had "stuff" on them Dirt, food, other sticky stuff, and unknown substances. Yes, they we're shrink wrapped blankets.

Most of them are actually true. The one about the flaps for hijacking was backwards. But it isn't used anymore.

Trays? Possible. I have seen women changing diapers on tray tables. I can almost guarantee that some seat cushions have been peed upon.

Coffee water is not bottled. It comes from plane water tanks.

I know folks that have gotten blankets that had "stuff" on them Dirt, food, other sticky stuff, and unknown substances. Yes, they we're shrink wrapped blankets.

Gross.

An FA recently asked me why I used the hot towel they gave me to clean every surface in my pod. I told her because these planes are filthy. The water on the towel was not fit to be in contact with my face but at least it was hot and might kill a germ or two on the table.

An FA recently asked me why I used the hot towel they gave me to clean every surface in my pod. I told her because these planes are filthy. The water on the towel was not fit to be in contact with my face but at least it was hot and might kill a germ or two on the table.

On many flights, the flight attendants have those alcohol-infused wetnaps. That's a better way to disinfect....

Got pink eye twice from those hot towels, don't use them on your face!

Back