Getting my PPL

cyclepro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cyclepro
Hi, so im currently getting my PPL and have around 36 hours. I love flying and grew up doing it commercially not so much in ga planes. I seem to have an issue dealing with "turbulence". I love flying but it freaks me out. I think its due to me being not having confidence in my skill to fix something in an emergency but i am not sure. Is there anything i can do to try and fix this?

Fly in turbulence more!

Experience has a way of turning stressful events into daily occurrences. I'm not sure where you're based but in New England winter is synonimous with light to moderate turbulence so we get a lot of practice.

The best times to fly to avoid it are in the morning, say before 10:00AM or at night after dark

Hi, so im currently getting my PPL and have around 36 hours. I love flying and grew up doing it commercially not so much in ga planes. I seem to have an issue dealing with "turbulence". I love flying but it freaks me out. I think its due to me being not having confidence in my skill to fix something in an emergency but i am not sure. Is there anything i can do to try and fix this?

Are you fearful of the turbulence causing excessive loads on and damage on the airframe, or are you afraid of it putting you in an unusual attitude you can't recover from?

Or just some other fear?

I think my fear is the plane becoming inverted or getting into a spin at a low altitude such as on final. I went up on Wednesday and it was somewhat bumpy and I was getting used to it by the end of the flight. I.should mention I have only flown 2 times since October. Maybe I'm just having a tough time getting back into it. And im based out of kpwk in Chicago

You're not going to be flying in winds strong enough to do the things you fear... because if it's that windy, you're either not going flying that day, or you're not going to land at your intended airport.

At your current place in training your CFI simply won't let you fly when the winds are dangerous. Part of your CFI's job is to also impart this to you, along with the concept of you setting your own "personal minimums" (or in this case, a personal maximum crosswind component).

I too had a fear of turbulence. My fears were met head on once I realized the plane has a big safety factor in the load department. 3.8xThe gross weight of the plane.

I now fly in turbulent air and don't think much of it. It gets my attention but not like it used to.

I used to get nervous, even on airliners, but now turbulence just annoys me.

Are you getting sick or just fearful?

For me, the thing that got me over any fear was simply learning the facts about turbulence and knowing that the plane wants to fly. It isn't going to fall out of the sky because it's getting thrown around.

When you drive or ride a boat and hit some bumps/waves does it scare you? Assuming it doesn't, well, it's no different in the sky for the most part. The plane may bounce around but it's not going to stop flying.

And as others have said, simply fly when turbulence isn't that big of a deal. Winds under 10 knots, in the morning (or at night after you have your PPL). And remember, that once you have your PPL (assuming the airspace allows it) you can simply fly high enough to usually remain pretty smooth. If you are always training at 1500-2500 AGL (I am because I'm by D.C. and have to stay under Class B), turbulence will be pretty constant. But it's not always going to be like that.

Last edited:
I know this doesn't help but the issue is just that you have 36 hours.
When you have 86 you wont care anymore.

Just like being on a boat. It is sometimes bumpy.
It wont make you go inverted or spin. Might feel that way because it hits rapidly but it is not pitching / rolling the plane near as much as it feels like it is.

Plus there are SOOOO many more things to fear than turbulence ;)

Plus there are SOOOO many more things to fear than turbulence ;)
You must have learned your techniques of comfort from my CFI :)

He took my step-mom up in his Stearman for her birthday and part of his pre-flight safety brief to her was to point out the big red radio button. He told her if he dies in mid-flight, she's to push that button and yell "I'M GONNA DIE! I'M GONNA DIE!"

You must have learned your techniques of comfort from my CFI :)

He took my step-mom up in his Stearman for her birthday and part of his pre-flight safety brief to her was to point out the big red radio button. He told her if he dies in mid-flight, she's to push that button and yell "I'M GONNA DIE! I'M GONNA DIE!"

My CFI was similar.
He would ask "What happens if there is a fire?" I explain
Then "What happens if the engine goes out?" I explain
Then "What happens if a wing comes off?" I say "I guess we would just die but that can't really happen can it?"

He'd say "Man, I hope not"

Turbulence hasn't bothered me so far, but I haven't experienced anything more than light. I imagine I'll be nervous with moderate, and wanting to be on the ground with severe.

For the next few weeks pay close attention to how bumpy the roads you travel are. In my opinion, driving on local roads is much more jarring than 90% of what we experience in the air.

Thanks for all the advice. One more thing,
. I hate slow flight, I can do the rest of the maneuvers fine and not worry but I don't handle slow flight well it makes me nervous and uncomfortable. Is that normal?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I think my fear is the plane becoming inverted or getting into a spin at a low altitude such as on final. I went up on Wednesday and it was somewhat bumpy and I was getting used to it by the end of the flight. I.should mention I have only flown 2 times since October. Maybe I'm just having a tough time getting back into it. And im based out of kpwk in Chicago

I'm based out of PWK as well. Sometimes because the the landscape, the proximity to the lake the winds and thermals do get bad. It will just take time to get used to it. The best way, is to just fly. I'm not a fan if bumpy rides, but it's part of the experience. Some thoughts: Learn to relax and breathe; don't exaggerate the inputs as it will make it worse; relax; hold the yoke lightly; nothing will happen if you've learned the proper way of handling the plane. Lately, the x winds have been vicious at PWK. Practice x wind to and landings with your CFI . Pm me if you want to chat. Good luck!

. I hate slow flight, I can do the rest of the maneuvers fine and not worry but I don't handle slow flight well it makes me nervous and uncomfortable. Is that normal?

Why do you get nervous? Only thing that's annoying is the stall horn for me. Again, it takes practice. Have you done p/o stalls? Are you ok with them? Flying with mushy controls is not my favorite thing to do, but we need to learn the feel and experience as this is what's occurring prior to landing.

Last edited:

It can be uncomfortable (I run out of trim doing it and have to manhandle the yoke a bit more to hold altitude), but there's nothing to fear in slow flight vs. any other maneuvers. Aren't those maneuvers usually done at least 2000 feet and 70 mph anyway?

That's well above stall speed. You will have to do it for your check ride so just practice it more until you get comfortable. Slow flight may bother you because the pitch of the plane is so skyward, but remember that it's just like a boat. A boat doesn't sink just because you are going slow and the bow hasn't dropped like it does at higher speeds. The plane is just as capable of flying at 70mph with a high pitch as it is at 130mph and a level pitch.

The most uncomfortable maneuver for me was the power on stall because you have to really point the plane extremely skyward to make it happen (in the PA-140 at least…I know other planes stall easier and more violently).

Yesterday, I did forward slip to landings and those may make you nervous because you are hard rudder, hard opposite aileron, and pointing the plane at what feels like straight at the ground vs. a regular approach.

Once you do some more of those kinds of things you'll hopefully begin to get a feel for the limits of the airplane, which should in turn make you feel much more comfortable in normal flight and regular turbulence.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's pretty normal in my experience, but you should get good at it! After all, that's basically how you want to be flying when you land.

Slow flight should be easy to talk yourself into not minding - especially with just a little more flight practice. Mentally though, just remember that no matter how slow you go, the worst that can happen is you cannot maintain altitude anymore - in which case the nose is going to drop with or without your consent, and that's going to fix the problem. You can always trade altitude for airspeed. The trick to being comfortable with that is knowing you have enough extra altitude to spare.

Curious if you've done dead stick landings yet?

Please, please get comfortable at the low speed end of the envelope! Practice transitioning from pattern speed to slow flight and back again until you can do it without conscious thought. Remember that the wing develops maximum lift just before the stall...but you don't have to stall to prove that. Also, good landings are slow landings... an approach speed of not more than 1.3 Vso gives you a thirty-percent cushion over the stall; 1.2 Vso over the fence and you still have a twenty-percent cushion...all of this in normal winds, of course; the only time you want to add any airspeed is in gusty conditions...no added speed for crosswinds.

Being afraid to slow down causes problems for many pilots...like floating the length of the runway and into the trees.

Bob Gardner

It can be uncomfortable (I run out of trim doing it and have to manhandle the yoke a bit more to hold altitude), but there's nothing to fear in slow flight vs. any other maneuvers. Aren't those maneuvers usually done at least 2000 feet and 70 mph anyway?

Don't manhandle the yoke for altitude. Pitch for speed, power for altitude.

Just keep working at it. If your not comfortable dealing with turbulence, then how will you react with a real emergency? Just my .02. Be a cautious pilot not a scared pilot

Don't manhandle the yoke for altitude. Pitch for speed, power for altitude.

I came to edit. I was thinking of power off stalls. To hold to the point of stall, you run out of trim in the 140 and have to keep the noise up or it's going to want to drop well before you complete the stall. Takes a lot of back pressure to do and can be pretty uncomfortable.

I can trim it pretty perfectly in slow flight and it fly itself.

Stall training has made me wonder how in the world most people stall their airplanes accidentally, at least Cessnas and smaller Pipers.

The power on stall in the PA-140 is so extreme in pitch I don't see how someone rotating at 60-65mph could possibly do it by accident.

But I know it happens. I assume being overweight is the most common cause of a power on stall on takeoff.

Last edited:
I learned how to fly because it was scary. I always thought the plane would just fall out of the sky from turbulence, slow speed, ... turning... I flew with a pounding heart and sweaty hands for my first 5 hours or so.

One thing that really made me feel better was the idea that the plane *WANTS* to fly. I was getting my TW endorsement and we were practicing stalls and I would just hold the stick back through the stall and the plane "magically" recovered anyway. It lost altitude, but it stuck the idea that the plane wants to fly home for me.

I also did some intentional spins, which helped make that a lot less scary (and fun, really), too.

Just wanted to share with you something that was a light bulb moment for me.

I was flying today and well it wasn't very bumpy im definitely getting used to the plane again. As for slow flight I seem to have over come my fear. I did it today for about 10 minutes and was fine. My instructor said it was near perfect. Thanks for all the help

I was flying today and well it wasn't very bumpy im definitely getting used to the plane again. As for slow flight I seem to have over come my fear. I did it today for about 10 minutes and was fine. My instructor said it was near perfect. Thanks for all the help

I overcame my fear of slow flight and stalls quickly when I was flying with a CFI but when I got to the point where I was practicing it solo the fear came back. I remember being seriously worried about getting into a spin if I stalled when the plane was uncoordinated. I eventually got past that when I understood that an airplane cannot spin if you use the rudder to prevent rotation. For me, understanding trumps most fears.

I overcame my fear of slow flight and stalls quickly when I was flying with a CFI but when I got to the point where I was practicing it solo the fear came back. I remember being seriously worried about getting into a spin if I stalled when the plane was uncoordinated. I eventually got past that when I understood that an airplane cannot spin if you use the rudder to prevent rotation. For me, understanding trumps most fears.

Go a step further, have your CFI show you how to recover from a spin. That way the worst thing that can happen is you recover from it like you were instructed to and its no big deal

Go a step further, have your CFI show you how to recover from a spin. That way the worst thing that can happen is you recover from it like you were instructed to and its no big deal

I went up with my first instructor (got a new one half way through training) in a diamond and did spins because the thought terrified me ended up loving it. I love seeing people's reactions when they see the video

Good news, I went up today with my instructor and he didn't touch the controls once during the 1.5 hour flight. Also I've become perfectly fine with turbulence/ thermals

Good advice but if it was aimed at me you're a little late. :D

Good news, I went up today with my instructor and he didn't touch the controls once during the 1.5 hour flight. Also I've become perfectly fine with turbulence/ thermals

Good to hear. I had an instrument training flight yesterday on a mini XC. Did great on way to destination, but on way back it was bumpy as heck. Found my concentration was a bit off on ride back, and had issues aviating (holding altitude), navigating (holding heading), and communicating (some nerves in my voice). We were tossed all over the place. I've got to get over that....

Back