Eye Floaters

bottle2throttle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
b2t
Hey Folks, I am new to PoA but have been reading up on some threads here and figured this place would be a good a place as any to ask these questions...

Background: So about 4 months ago I started seeing a few more than just 3 or 4 floaters in my eyes when I looked up at the daytime sky, thinking it was just due to lack of sleep and (since I had just turned 21) a bit more alcohol consumption then my body's used to.

However, Just recently I have had an abundance of eye floaters (about 8 or so) in my vision at all times, I see at least one no matter where or who I look at. The only time I get relief is at the dead of night...

Diagnosis? I went to my ophthalmologist, he said I have some of the best eyes he has seen and he did see a few floaters when he dialated me, but nothing substantial and definitely no Retinal detachment, maybe a little PVD if any...

My worry? Well, I have been flight instructing for just over a year now, and I have acquired enough time to head to the regionals, and I am not going to lie when I say these things are the definition of SUCK... I can no longer look outside of the plane especially above clouds, without seeing tons of these big dots, small dots, and webs float in and out of my vision, I am only 23 years old and I don't think this should even happen to the older folks...

Anybody have these (to my severity)?
If so do any of those who do work in the airlines?
How do you deal with them (diet, exercise etc)?
Have they ever gone away?
Bruce, any laws against me flying with these and possessing a first class?

All of your help is very appreciated, I have gotten so desperate, there is not medication, no drops, no nothing, just possible blinding laser or vitrectomy surgery... I do not know what to do!! :(

Welcome to POA. As a caveat, I'm not a doctor.

Since your eye doctor has given you a clean bill of health, you should be reasonably confident that these little guys are benign. Watch the video above, it's actually pretty good. Pay attention to the part about sensory adaptation. Since the floaters are relatively new to you, they're annoying. But your brain will eventually adapt to them, and you'll notice them less and less often. I can't imagine that this would affect your flying in any way. You'll get used to them, and there will be no affect on your flying.

I'm not a doctor either, just had similar experiences.

I started noticing floaters in my mid twenties as well. They were really noticeable on bright backgrounds (like the bright sky while taking my flying lessons) so I went to the eye doc too..a little freaked out. Turns out I had floaters and a tiny little scar on my retina in my left eye that I just thought was a floater. Eye doc says I could have been born with the scar (there's a more technical term for it that I forget) and they just watched it over time to make sure it didn't change or grow. He said not to worry about the floaters, they would get less noticeable over time. Otherwise my vision was just fine. After a while (a couple of months or so) I realized I hadn't noticed the floaters in a month or more. Amazing what the brain can just ignore or tune out, especially when you stop fretting over it and looking for them all the time. I rarely notice them some 25+ years later unless it's really bright and I'm not wearing my sun glasses. Put sun glasses on, and they disappear very quickly. Never been a problem.

That was a great video. I'm a doctor, but not that kind of doctor, but since you've already seen a doctor, that shouldn't matter much. What I can tell you is that IME, the video is right on. Once the floaters have been around for a while you just won't see them. Especially if you stop thinking about them.

I'm also a 23 year old CFI with floaters. I started noticing them a few years ago and started worrying like you. However, it is not a big problem just like your eye doctor said. I still notice one or two if I'm looking against a bright blue sky, but not once has it hurt my ability to spot traffic.

As stated above I'm not a doctor. What I can recall, my eye doctor basically said its just a grouping of "thicker" fluid in your eye. It comes and goes with any number of causes.

Same story. Noticed mine in my 20s. Now in 40s. Eye doc says no problem. Protein clumps in the jello basically.

Had a fancy laser/mirror scan of eyes a couple years ago because he has the machine and it was only $30 extra on my vision plan at the time. Cool to see almost the whole inside of your eyeballs in different spectra on the PC screen in the exam room I guess. Nothing BSD found.

Lying on a bed staring at a white ceiling with eyes not really focused on a bright sunny day, I'll notice them. Otherwise the DSP filter between my ears seems to get rid of them.

Doesn't get any better ,just have to learn to live with it .

Susac syndrome, an autoimmune disease, can cause vision problems like you describe. Saw that on an episode of Mystery Diagnosis (I think it was that show).

Susac's syndrome is a rare disorder characterized by three main problems: impaired brain function (encephalopathy), partial or complete blockage (occlusion) of the arteries that supply blood to the retina (branch retinal artery occlusion, or BRAO), and inner ear disease (hearing loss, most notably).

Three main forms of Susac's syndrome have become apparent. In one form, encephalopathy is the main problem. In the second form, BRAO and hearing loss are the main problems, and there is little or no brain disease. In the third form, encephalopathy is the main problem in the beginning, but recurrent episodes of BRAO and hearing loss become the main problem after the encephalopathy goes away.

. Eye doc says I could have been born with the scar (there's a more technical term for it that I forget)

I have one too. It's called a CHRPE, pronounced "chirpy". It's like a small, flat birthmark or freckle on the retina. Nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it
for changes. Mine's never caused me any problems whatsoever.

I was diagnosed with a PVD in my right eye several years ago. I consulted Bruce immediately. His advice was to get a full eye evaluation including a Humphrey fields test. As long as that test shows no problems, you're good to continue flying. You will need to get a full eye evaluation documented on an FAA Form 8500-7 within 60 days before your next FAA medical evaluation, bring that form with you to the AME, and report all this on the medical application form 8500-8.

And make sure the AME sends a copy of the eye evaluation form 8500-7 in with the 8500-8 or you will get a nasty letter from Oklahoma City about a month later demanding that completed form -- BTDT, smacked the AME.

All that said, the symptoms you describe are far more severe than mine. You say you are working with an ophthalmologist, and I would suggest returning for further evaluation and possible treatment. It sounds like you may be having significant leakage into your eye, and that could spell retina trouble, not just vitreous. Have you had any head trauma, like a vehicle or sports accident recently which could have either caused or aggravated this problem? I would definitely not be flying until the root cause is identified and those symptoms are under control.

Last edited:
Okay so I did get an official diagnosis, and that is that my vitreous is just "changing", and he said my floaters are primarily at the front of my eye, not the back, like PVD would lead to...

Ron, as part of my eye exam they made me do a Humphrey field test and I scored a perfect on it, recognizing all the peripheral cues as I should have for my age, which is why this sudden increase is so strange and freaky for me. There was no bleeding, leaking, tearing, or detachment of my eye or retina...

I can spot traffic just as good as ever... That has always never been an issue and still is not to this day, however it is a sanity issue more than anything... and also I am not sure if airline or 135 guys have these and still fly...

I tried to attach a picture I drew up to show you but I cannot attach things apparently...

With respect to Ron, who knows much more than eye do (see what I did there?), I don't think any of that is necessary. You've been evaluated and given the all clear. All that's left to do is come to terms with the fact that they're benign and you'll get used to them soon.

Eyes and the brain are an amazing team. My wife and another friend both use monocular contact lenses. (non pilots) One lense is for far sightedness and the other for near sightedness. The first week it made my wife crazy. Read with one eye and see far with the other. After a week or ten days, her brain had completely compensated for it. She doesn't even realize it unless the gets the left contact in the right eye and vice versa.

I agree with Ron Keating. Floaters are common and concerning when you first recognize them. But it's part of the human condition. Just do your best to try to ignore them. They're somewhat of a nuisance, but at least you'll get a lot more of them as you age.

Okay so I did get an official diagnosis, and that is that my vitreous is just "changing", and he said my floaters are primarily at the front of my eye, not the back, like PVD would lead to...

If your floaters change significantly or you have any flashing lights, see your any ophthalmologist asap.

Ron, as part of my eye exam they made me do a Humphrey field test and I scored a perfect on it, recognizing all the peripheral cues as I should have for my age, which is why this sudden increase is so strange and freaky for me. There was no bleeding, leaking, tearing, or detachment of my eye or retina...
Ask your ophtho to fill out a 8500-7 and state those things including the normal results from the VF. Yes it's a hassle, but getting your medical back from OKC because of it would be even more of one.

Getting old is hell, and it doesn't improve.

Getting old >> true. Doesn't improve >> not necessarily -- I'm 66 and my eye doc always comments on all my floaters, but I don't see them (OLD FART BRAIN POWER). :yes::goofy:

I have one too. It's called a CHRPE, pronounced "chirpy". It's like a small, flat birthmark or freckle on the retina. Nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it
for changes. Mine's never caused me any problems whatsoever.

That's it! Its never changed since the day they first took a picture of it. Doc takes good high quality pics of it during my annual eye exam about once every couple of years now. He started off doing it every year until it became pretty clear the thing wasn't changing. I have a photo album of what the inside of my looks like going back years. :D

That's it! Its never changed since the day they first took a picture of it. Doc takes good high quality pics of it during my annual eye exam about once every couple of years now. He started off doing it every year until it became pretty clear the thing wasn't changing. I have a photo album of what the inside of my looks like going back years. :D

My first photo lab job was running a night shift of slide film from several eye hospitals and clinics around St Louis, typical night had a few hundred rolls of 35mm. The mounting machine had a light table built under the fold and press part so you could see it mounted correctly. That's a lot of retinas to look at every night lol. It would go fast enough 2-3 per second, it was almost like watching a movie of a still image and sometimes a monster would pop up out of the consistent orange disks.

I've had a fair number of floaters for the past 15 years or so (I'm 36). I probably have 10+ in each eye, many of them being quite large. 90% of the time I don't even notice them. On a cloudy day, or when looking at a white background of any kind they definitely become annoying, but nothing that you can't live it. You'll get used to them.

Last edited:
Earlier you posted:
I can no longer look outside of the plane especially above clouds, without seeing tons of these big dots, small dots, and webs float in and out of my vision
That is not consistent with your latest post:

I can spot traffic just as good as ever...
...so I have no further advice for you other than to contact Bruce Chien for further assistance.
http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Not at age 23 to the extent originally described ("tons of these big dots, small dots, and webs float in and out of my vision").

Ron, Sorry for the discontinuity in my statements, I CAN spot traffic just fine, however, that does not change the fact that I am having these large amounts at such a young age... Like I said, I was trying to post a picture I drew to show you all but it won't let me attach it...

I will definitely contact Bruce on the matter as I am definitely making sure I am good for flying, it doesn't change my safety of flight, however, it does significantly change the quality and beauty of flying I remembered having not too long ago... And that is what I am most afraid of losing forever :(

Contact the eye doc first. Unless I missed that you already did. Health first, FAA medical second. Bruce will say the same thing.

The can go away. Or my brain learned yo ignore them.

The can go away. Or my brain learned yo ignore them.

I had some about 10 years ago, they either "went away" or my brain learned to ignore them, I don't see any of them now.

I have a bunch of floaters also. I mention them occasionally at the eye doctors which his response is usually if there is no significant change and you don't see flashes, don't worry too much about it. Normal vitreous density changes.
There was that one time I saw flashes. It took me a minute to realize some chucklehead was playing with a flashgun.

Back