EGT acting up today

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
So I was out flying today and my EGT started climbing about 1h 30m into my flight.

I was over central PA when this happened and my first thought was, "Well it must be carb ice." OAT at 7,000' was right around freezing, much warmer than at the surface. I have experienced carb ice before, even at cruise, so I applied carb heat. That worked, to some degree, but I was really chasing the EGT with the carb heat knob. It was a LOT squirrelier than other carb ice events. I tried enriching the mixture, no change. I tried re-leaning the mixture and it ran rougher than I liked, so went back to richer. The CHT didn't flinch the whole time. All analog, single point gauges (yeah, yeah, I know - get a nice digital engine analyzer with sensors on every cylinder).

I called ATC and adjusted my route to go over a class D airport on my route in case I decided to land and sort things out. I started messing with everything I could think of wondering why it was behaving so oddly. Then I tried switching from my right tank back to both (I had switched from both to right only at 0h 30m into the flight). Almost immediately the problem abated!

What does that say to you?

My working theory is that there was a little bit of water contamination in the right tank that was frozen while on the ground during my preflight check. After an hour plus at cruise it warmed up and started going through the engine, behaving kind of like carb ice (leaning the mixture more than my mixture knob setting indicated it should've). Carb heat helped it some, but the real fix was to dilute it by pulling from both the left (presumably non-water containing) tank and right tank at the same time. Sound plausible?

In your entire post I didn't see where the engine was running rough or losing power. Was it?

It reads like everything was just fine except for an errant EGT reading.

Not that I would necessarily try in the air (I might in this case), but did you switch back to the problem tank and the problem reappear? Every once in awhile there could be a problem that fixes itself as you happen to make an adjustment and it has nothing to do with your "fix."

It could very well be related to fuel from one tank. It could be ice (or other debris) just blocking a line and slowing flow down/leaning the mixture. What are you flying? How are the sumps after flying? Do you normally get water or debris in your fuel? How about tank vents? Are they plugged?

From what you've said, I'd look at the fuel system from the tank to the selector valve for a blockage. If you warm the A/C up and get some water, maybe I'd let it go at that. But it sounds to me from what's been stated that something was dislodged and slowed flow down somewhat draining from the tank to the valve.

What's your tail number? I was heading back home yesterday afternoon and heard a few Skylanes, was wondering if you were out. I was in Twin Cessna 488 Sugar Pop.

Ted, was that your twin cessna we were envious of while chatting with Youngstown approach and trying to find a less bumpy altitude?

Skylane 9231X

Ted, was that your twin cessna we were envious of while chatting with Youngstown approach and trying to find a less bumpy altitude?

Skylane 9231X

Yep, that was me. I just stuck with the bumps because I was trying to get home faster. :)

Yep, that was me. I just stuck with the bumps because I was trying to get home faster. :)

I had the wife right seat. That meant smoothest possible ride, ground speed be darned! She's a good sport, but I want to encourage her flying with me...

I had the wife right seat. That meant smoothest possible ride, ground speed be darned! She's a good sport, but I want to encourage her flying with me...

Absolutely agree. I would've done similar were I not solo. But it was just me and the plane, and the plane is a good sport. When I passed you I was truing out about 190 KTAS, LOP. :)

I'd actually wondered if that 182 was you, since I thought I'd heard something on the radio about you going towards your home drone.

However, since at that altitude it can easily cruise at the top of the green arc on airspeed, I did pull the power back a bit once I got to 4,000.

Back