FAA Cleaning House

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Just did Jepp revision 3 of the US dated Feb 14th. I noticed an over abundance of new airports getting added for the first time (whole additions) and, more alarmingly, a whole bunch of airports getting entirely deleted.

I'd guess a dozen or so got added and two dozen deleted. Anybody know what caused this? Seemed way way more than usual. Normally I'm a little surprised to see 1 get added or deleted in an entire revision.

I'd guess a dozen or so got added and two dozen deleted. Anybody know what caused this? Seemed way way more than usual. Normally I'm a little surprised to see 1 get added or deleted in an entire revision.

Public airports or private landing strips ? With the runup in corn-prices, many farm-strips have been plowed under to maximize the amount of money extracted from the goverment. Fewer 'flying farmers' than there used to be it seems. Spraying your own fields and small Ag operations also seem to go by the wayside due to liability and regulatory issues.

I can't believe this is just sitting here. I thought for sure someone here would have the inside scoop.

Airports? Freaking noisy wastes of land IMO. Good riddance, they didn't have any commercial flights out of them anyway so what use are they?

I can't believe this is just sitting here. I thought for sure someone here would have the inside scoop.

Provide a list of the airports that were added and the ones that were removed and perhaps we'll have more insight.

Been two years since I've done Jepps. Could it be just a bunch of airports are being renamed?

Ever seen an airport labeled 'objectionable'? Looks like the object was to get rid of them.

Ever seen an airport labeled 'objectionable'? Looks like the object was to get rid of them.

Just means that the airspace review was negative (less than X miles from another airport, right underneath a victor airway, traffic pattern overlaps with someone elses farm-strip), has no effect on the legality of it. A couple of years ago they started replacing the given names of those airports with the term. Makes no sense.

Provide a list of the airports that were added and the ones that were removed and perhaps we'll have more insight.

Yeah, I threw out the change sheet. Ill try to see if I can't get another copy. This thread would be much better with that list.

Break;

Note also that just because an airport is removed from my Jepp binder doesn't mean the airport is closed. It could be renamed or just had its approaches rescinded?

Also, I didn't see much evidence of renamed airports. I did try a little to match airport diagrams within a state that had added and subtracted fields.

Airports added:

AK
Pocahontas
FL
New Smyrna Beach
GA
Nahunta
Reidsville
IL
Peoria (20-9)
IN
Winchester
KS
Benton
St Francis
Smith Center
KY
Russellville
MI
Allegan
MN
Cook
Mora
MO
Boonville
Eldon
Macon
NB
Superior
NC
Ft Bragg
Plymouth
Wallace
OH
Napoleon
OK
Hugo
Stigler
OR
Grants Pass
SC
Laurens
Newberry
Sumter
TN
Cleveland
TX
Decatur
Hearne
Navasota
WI
Siren

Airports Deleted

CA
Placerville
FL
Apopka
Jacksonville (40-9)
Umatilla
IL
Greenville
Pinckneyville
IW
Webster City
KY
Falmouth
LA
Rayville
Reserve
MN
Bigfork
Elbow Lake
Montevideo
Orr
NB
Atkinson
Central City
David City
Tecumseh
NY
Malone
ND
Lint on
OK
Chandler
PN
New Castle
SD
Parkston
Philip
Wagner
TX
Hillsboro
VA
Bumpass
Forest
Gordonsville
Lynchburg
WA
Port Townsend
Snohomish
Wilbur

I guess the split between added and deleted is closer to even. Still weird though...

What type of Jepp subscription does your company have? Sometimes companies will tailor them for certain things like runway lengths, etc. Just thinking out loud...

We have Can/US and Latin America. No tailored by runway length or anything as far as I know.

Pretty sure New Smyrna Beach had an airport prior to this Jepp cycle. Most of those are probably name changes, addition of weather reporting etc.

Pretty sure New Smyrna Beach had an airport prior to this Jepp cycle. Most of those are probably name changes, addition of weather reporting etc.

+ new procedures. All the ones in my neighborhood are new approaches, not new airports.

Hillsboro TX still exists. I drove by it three days ago and saw a plane landing.

People...I never suggested any airports closed or opened. This thread is about entire airport approach procedures being added or deleted...not the physical airport and runways and buildings and stuff.

People...I never suggested any airports closed or opened. This thread is about entire airport approach procedures being added or deleted...not the physical airport and runways and buildings and stuff.

You did not mention approaches at all, just airports getting added or deleted

Well, i posted in "Cleared for the Approach" and said Jepp revision 3 in the OP, as well as post #9 spelling it out (right after the 'break').

Anyway, no. Approaches...not airports. Entire airport approaches added and deleted from Jeppesen instrument approach binders.

" and, more alarmingly, a whole bunch of airports getting entirely deleted."

And? Deleted from jepps...revision 3.

I thought I was being as clear as I could and still can't imagine how I could have said it better.

I looked up Phillip, SD because I've been there several times and done the previous VOR 12 approach (I think it was 12 back then and not VOR A) and I see the VOR A is "new" and there are also GPS approaches to 12 and 30 that were not previously there. So maybe Jeppesen is a revision behind the government charts for small airports with new procedures like that?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPHP

And? Deleted from jepps...revision 3.

I thought I was being as clear as I could and still can't imagine how I could have said it better.

You could have, oh say, used the word approach instead of airport?

He could have, but given the forum, I knew what he was talking about up front. Now, I'm going to have to check my Jepp binders tomorrow (I'll get home from LAX way too late tonight to even think about it) and see what I have for Port Townsend, WA.

Update 2/22/14 - I have a single approach into 0S9 in my Jepp binder. RNAV (GPS)-A. Sets you up for rwy 09. Plate is dated 3 Jan 14, so it's new. And this was a reissue, no changes.

Last edited:

A single 'approach' getting added or subtracted from an airport happens all the time. The bulk of revisions are replaced charts and sometime it effects every plate like a tower freq change or something.

But I'm talking about an airport losing every single approach or having every single approach added from scratch...nothing before.

So how do you say that? To me, I qualified what I was talking about both by location 'Cleared for the Approach' and identified that I was updating my Jeppesen approach plates and then described what happened.

Obviously it's not the people readings fault as several were confused. But my mind honestly can't come up with better words to describe it. 'Approach' doesn't help either as that's the point of revisions.

Whatever, hopefully the point is made and we can move on. I am curious what happened. As many pilots as read this forum someone must have insight.

Back