May have screwed up

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I purchased an Electronics International US-8A-4 engine analyzer off of Ebay for what I thought was a good price. Called up E.I. to get a price for a set of CHT/EGT probes. I found out that a set cost almost as much as purchasing the whole setup new!:mad2:

Any constructive ideas?

I started out just wanting a single analogue EGT for leaning. Then mission creep happened.

EI wasn't particularly willing to trade when I was looking at moving to an MVP-50 from a UBG-16. They basically said tough luck, ya gotta buy the entire MVP-50 kit to conform with the STC and they weren't interested in the UBG. Consequently they didn't get the MVP sale.

EI wasn't particularly willing to trade when I was looking at moving to an MVP-50 from a UBG-16. They basically said tough luck, ya gotta buy the entire MVP-50 kit to conform with the STC and they weren't interested in the UBG. Consequently they didn't get the MVP sale.

Sorry to hear that. I have been flying w an MVP-50 and love it.

However, it was something that was added to the plane by the previous owner. I don't know how much it costs, but I bet it was quite expensive.

Also, be aware that you need a Letter of Authorisation by the STC holder to be able to legally put it on, and many won't do that or charge a huge sum for it. I've done the same mistake myself just last year, so beware of used STC'd parts. They will more often than not come bite you.

Started a thread about it last year.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65563

Last edited:
They cover buyer's remorse? Was the item not as represented?

If it was misrepresented, file a claim within 45 days I bought a 1965 Fender Jaguar guitar that was misrepresented. They were very good at tefunding my money and let me keep the guitar which I then parted out.

Go to eBay for a refund ,it's worth a try. Then buy the whole kit with. The stc.

Ebay didn't sell it. Ebay doesn't refund money. I doubt the seller much wants the unit back just because you found out it's expensive to install. If you act fast before the listing gets purged from the system (120 days or so) you have all the info and pictures needed to list it yourself.

Curious why you think you were "owed" a trade in value :confused:

Thanks. I'm going to try and make this work for me.

There still remains the issue of the STC, unless you are putting this in an experimental aircraft. Buying probes from somewhere else, as interchangeable as they may be, puts you even further away from being able to legally install the analyzer. Try to resell it, you're getting in a ditch.

There still remains the issue of the STC, unless you are putting this in an experimental aircraft. Buying probes from somewhere else, as interchangeable as they may be, puts you even further away from being able to legally install the analyzer. Try to resell it, you're getting in a ditch.

That, the most important part if this is a certified plane is the STC, and that is only available from EI. If they act like STEC, they'll charge you full price for the sheet of paper.

Ebay doesn't deal with the money. If you used paypal, they will hold the money and open a dispute. Not sure on other payment methods, I always use paypal.

Worth a shot. :thumbsup:

Curious why you think you were "owed" a trade in value :confused:

Did I say I thought I was "owed" something? No I didn't.

Does it make sense to work with customers? It does to me. Maybe it doesn't to you. Such is life.

That, the most important part if this is a certified plane is the STC, and that is only available from EI. If they act like STEC, they'll charge you full price for the sheet of paper.

EI didn't do that with me. They were just as helpful with the installation of used EI gauges as they were with some new ones I had installed in my bonanza. They're a top notch company to work with.

The STC's are available on their website too - imagine that :rolleyes:

Last edited:
EI didn't do that with me. They were just as helpful with the installation of used EI gauges as they were with some new ones I had installed in my bonanza. They're a top notch company to work with.

The STC's are available on their website too - imagine that :rolleyes:

Sure the STC is there but you also need the permission letter. For that you have to pay.

Back