Report established on the localizer

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I usually report when I'm very close to having the needle centered. On my last flight I was still two dots away when approach reminded me to report once established. So..... Is established at first sign of needle movement or closer to center?

In the US, "established" is an English word. I don't report established until my heading and course are somewhat aligned and the needle is close.

I don't care what anyone says about deflection alone - having the needle exactly centered while moving 90° through it is not "established."

My answer... if you are on a standard 30 degree intercept, when the needle comes off the peg and is visibly moving towards the center of the CDI.

You can eat up some distance once the needle gets closer to the center. Going from two dots to almost centered you could cover a mile.

I don't care what anyone says about deflection alone - having the needle exactly centered while moving 90° through it is not "established."

But, but, but that's the only time I'm on the localizer...:(

Thanks for that read. Saying you are established when within standards..so to me than turning on course at 3/4 deflection would satisfy as established. It appears there is a good bit of difference when people report established. All through training I was closer to center of the LOC and this was the first time I was reminded. So Ill adjust and report quicker, especially locally here. But honestly to me, I'm not established until I'm on the approach course heading with the LOC centered or close to it. In this case I had not made the approach course heading yet, close obviously but no there.

Wally, the guy who wrote is is or was a poster here...and on the AOPA board as well...

Wealth of knowledge he is...

Thanks for that read. Saying you are established when within standards..so to me than turning on course at 3/4 deflection would satisfy as established. It appears there is a good bit of difference when people report established. All through training I was closer to center of the LOC and this was the first time I was reminded. So Ill adjust and report quicker, especially locally here. But honestly to me, I'm not established until I'm on the approach course heading with the LOC centered or close to it. In this case I had not made the approach course heading yet, close obviously but no there.

If we go to the Pilot/Controller Glossary, we find the following definition:
ESTABLISHED-To be stable or fixed on a route, route segment, altitude, heading, etc.
Hardly useful. However, if we go to the Instrument Procedures Handbook, we see:
...an aircraft is considered established when it is “within half full scale deflection for the ILS and VOR; or within ±5 degrees of the required bearing for the NDB"...
...and that language is quoted from the ICAO. That definition is also consistent with the tolerances for the final segment of an instrument approach in the IR PTS. That works for me. 3/4 scale might work for enroute/terminal operations, but for approaches, I'll stick with 1/2 scale.

Personally, I like to think in terms of when I mentally change from interception to tracking.

For purposes of reporting I'll report "established" when I get around to it. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. , in that order. If ATC's getting a little impatient that's HIS problem, not mine.
OTOH for purposes of for example when I'm OK to start down intercepting the final approach course I'll consider myself "established" when I start the turn with a half scale deflection on the VOR or LOC or within 5* on the ADF on a 45* intercept.

For purposes of reporting I'll report "established" when I get around to it. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. , in that order. If ATC's getting a little impatient that's HIS problem, not mine.
OTOH for purposes of for example when I'm OK to start down intercepting the final approach course I'll consider myself "established" when I start the turn with a half scale deflection on the VOR or LOC or within 5* on the ADF on a 45* intercept.
Good points. Reporting established isn't nearly as important as being established before leaving your last assigned/published altitude. Descending too soon has killed too many people. Stick with what JC and I said about when you are "established", and you'll live to make that report.

My guideline to IFR students is when the needle is 1/2 scale deflection or less.

Good points. Reporting established isn't nearly as important as being established before leaving your last assigned/published altitude. Descending too soon has killed too many people. Stick with what JC and I said about when you are "established", and you'll live to make that report.

So I can l learn...what does being "established on the localizer" (ref Post #1) have to do with descending?

I have been on localizer for 15 or more miles before descending...RWY 6 at Teterboro comes to mind...

You might be stressing the importance of BEING established (on both glide slope and LOC before descending...I want to make sure that I am not missing a lesson or nuance here...or if I am...have it explained...

Established means the needle has come off the peg AND you're able to keep it that way.

So I can l learn...what does being "established on the localizer" (ref Post #1) have to do with descending?

I have been on localizer for 15 or more miles before descending...RWY 6 at Teterboro comes to mind...
There are many places where you are vectored to join a localizer only a few miles outside the FAF. In those places, you may be vectored to join the localizer with the last vectoring altitude being higher than the published altitude for the intermediate segment you are joining. In that case, you cannot safely (or legally) leave the last assigned altitude for the published intermediate segment altitude until "established" on the localizer.

Imagine you are being vectored to join the ILS 4 at Easton MD (KESN). The controller has you at 2000 feet (the MVA in that area), and you get the following "final vector" call: "Cessna 123, 4 miles from WEGRO, turn right heading 010, maintain 2000 until established, cleared ILS 4 approach." Since you are only 5 miles from WEGRO, you know you're inside RIKME and the segment altitude once established is 1600. However, you cannot leave your last assigned 2000 for the intermediate segment/GS intercept altitude of 1600 until you are established on that segment, i.e., the needle is within half scale and stable.

You might be stressing the importance of BEING established (on both glide slope and LOC before descending...
Different issue, but still important.

There are many places where you are vectored to join a localizer only a few miles outside the FAF. In those places, you may be vectored to join the localizer with the last vectoring altitude being higher than the published altitude for the intermediate segment you are joining. In that case, you cannot safely (or legally) leave the last assigned altitude for the published intermediate segment altitude until "established" on the localizer
Yes, that plus there are also places where radar vectors to final are not available, you fly the full published approach initiating via a procedure turn or DME arc the published minimum altitude of which might likely be higher than the minimum altitude of the intermediate segment between localizer intercept and glideslope intercept.

Here's a good reason to understand at what point you should consider yourself "established" on the final approach course and OK to start descending to MDA, link is to the NDB 29 approach to Wolf Point, Montana.
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1402/06018N29.PDF

Now you're flying this one the purist way, ADF and timing to determine how far to go outbound while insuring you remain within 10 miles of the beacon. Back in the "good ol' days" the procedure turn minimum altitude was a few hundred feet lower than it is now but it was pushed up to 4300 about fifteen years ago to allow for a huge (tall) concrete grain elevator that was built out in the PT area. Keep in mind that you're determining distance outbound by the imprecise method of estimating groundspeed for timing so you prob'ly should fudge it a little on the short side to insure you don't go outside the ten mile limit. Also note the NDB is located about a mile & a half beyond the center of the airport. Now let's say our estimating and timing is perfect and we intercept inbound at 8 miles, to descend 1420' from PT altitude of 4300' to MDA at 2880' in the five miles that'd put us on a 1 mile final to runway 29 for a straight in ................. :) Even if everything goes right it requires a pretty good rate of descent to make it work, now factor in the fudge factor plus a wind out of the southeast quadrant that's delaying your final approach course intercept while blowing you closer to the airport and it could be tempting to call yourself "established" and start descending early..........until you think about that huge (tall) grain elevator :yikes: So you see, in some cases it's best to know exactly at what point it's safe to consider yourself "established".

later comment; here's something I just noticed, why would we have an MSA that's 100 feet lower than the minimum procedure turn altitude?, charting error perhaps :confused:

Last edited:
Here's a good reason to understand at what point you should consider yourself "established" on the final approach course and OK to start descending to MDA, link is to the NDB 29 approach to Wolf Point, Montana.
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1402/06018N29.PDF

Now you're flying this one the purist way, ADF and timing to determine how far to go outbound while insuring you remain within 10 miles of the beacon. Back in the "good ol' days" the procedure turn minimum altitude was a few hundred feet lower than it is now but it was pushed up to 4300 about fifteen years ago to allow for a huge (tall) concrete grain elevator that was built out in the PT area. Keep in mind that you're determining distance outbound by the imprecise method of estimating groundspeed for timing so you prob'ly should fudge it a little on the short side to insure you don't go outside the ten mile limit. Also note the NDB is located about a mile & a half beyond the center of the airport. Now let's say our estimating and timing is perfect and we intercept inbound at 8 miles, to descend 1420' from PT altitude of 4300' to MDA at 2880' in the five miles that'd put us on a 1 mile final to runway 29 for a straight in ................. :) Even if everything goes right it requires a pretty good rate of descent to make it work, now factor in the fudge factor plus a wind out of the southeast quadrant that's delaying your final approach course intercept while blowing you closer to the airport and it could be tempting to call yourself "established" and start descending early..........until you think about that huge (tall) grain elevator :yikes: So you see, in some cases it's best to know exactly at what point it's safe to consider yourself "established".

later comment; here's something I just noticed, why would we have an MSA that's 100 feet lower than the minimum procedure turn altitude?, charting error perhaps :confused:

C'mon, John, you know better than that. The MSA has no significance whatever to the approach procedure.

Bob Gardner

C'mon, John, you know better than that. The MSA has no significance whatever to the approach procedure.

Bob Gardner
Yes Bob, I'm certainly aware of that. But still:confused: .........it looks like they're sayin' "you're gonna' hav'ta do the slam-dunk here to avoid crashing into the grain elevator, but hey....if you're a hundred feet low?, don't worry about it :wink2: That's kind'a like the sign that said "NO TRESSPASSING, and if you do....please close the gate". :D

Last edited:
Back