As a CFI, how do I log the student "Performing the duties of PIC"?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
When flying with a CP-ASEL trainee, some of the previously "solo" tasks are allowed to be done as "performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board".

My trainee wanted to get some of the "10 landings at a towered field at night" requirements knocked out while we were flying the other night. So we did.

What would be the proper way to log this in his logbook? I did write something like "61.129 performing the duties of PIC with authorized CFI". But do I log it as dual received? Is the intent of this reg that I essentially sit on my hands and do nothing? If so, was it really "dual received"?

You'll have to decide if you did anything instructional or not. If you were not instructing you don't have to write ANYTHING in his logbook. If you were instructing, you log what instruction you gave.

In your own log book if you're qualified as PIC, you can log pic for being the right seat ballast as you are acting as the authorized instructor.

PIC and dual received, like normal.
...and reference the specific section of 61.129 involved, e.g., if it was the long XC required by 61.129(a)(4)(i), you enter "61.129(a)(4)(i) long XC performing duties of PIC" in the remarks block.

BTW, it may be only training received, and not PIC time, if the trainee is not rated in cat/class, e.g., a PP-ASEL doing initial CP in a twin.

Back