I have to be the luckiest SOB ever.

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
My dad got his ticket in the early 2000s, had a 4-way partnership with a 182, which ended around 2006 when one of the other guys ran it off the runway. At that point he was pretty mad and just quit flying.

This summer when I was doing my training, he had talked about possibly buying something, getting current, and flying again.

July came, mom was diagnosed with cancer, so dad threw all of that out the window for more important things. I never even bothered to ask him about it. Did fly him to an airport once for lunch which he seemed to enjoy.

Fast forward - January 11, mom passed(God rest her soul) and after a few weeks, dad started talking about it again. A group of hangars is being built at 6P3 this summer, and he bought one. "I will probably just store my cars in it till I decide if I want an airplane"...

I go to Mexico for a week, come back and he shows me the purchase order for an Evektor Harmony...

661341-L.jpg

He outfitted it with every option you can get, except a parachute. Dual 10" Dynons, 2 axis autopilot, upgraded brakes, etc etc.... I THINK delivery will be in May sometime.

Best part? I have full access as long as I get checked out, and pay my portion of the insurance as a pilot on his policy, as well as fuel. Win!!!!

He outfitted it with every option you can get, except a parachute. Dual 10" Dynons, 2 axis autopilot, upgraded brakes, etc etc.... I THINK delivery will be in May sometime.

So, in other words, every option you would ever want :D

: Duck for cover :

I wanted so badly to take Mom on a ride but by the time I had passed my checkride, she was just too weak to do it.

Dad reserved an N number which is her year of birth and her middle initial(couldn't get her first one).

Cancer Sucks!!!!

Congrats on the new ride.

I go to Mexico for a week, come back and he shows me the purchase order for an Evektor Harmony...

Wow.

I have spent most of my short time flying by flying in Evektor SportStars and, once, in a Harmony (like a pregnant SportStar). They are really fun planes, with incredible visibility!

Have fun flying with your Dad!

Wishing peace and joy for you and your father.

Nice plane! Enjoy the friendly skies!!

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I lost my Mom at the age of 86 a few years ago.

Always remember the good times, that way she'll always be with you!

That is a tough loss. I miss my mom tremendously. Congrats on a great opportunity to spend quality time with your dad. Enjoy!!
Oh and the plane is cool too. :thumbsup:

I would give up my certificate in a millisecond if I could have her around for just another week.

Dad and I have not had much of a relationship in the past so this should help:)

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. Mine passed away 19 months ago. I hope the new airplane will be just the ticket to bring you and your Dad closer. Enjoy the flying.

Sorry for your loss. Celebrate her in your every breath.

Congrats on having a great Dad...and access to a smoking ride!

I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost family to cancer as well. It's awful and I would do anything to have them back.

Congrats on the plane!

Bill,
Welcome to 6P3. We are looking forward to you and your dad flying here.
Joe

It would be even luckier if your dad bought a real airplane!:rofl:

I am of course completely, utterly, and unabashedly kidding. Aircraft looks spanky, congrats, and of course sympathies about your mum. If it makes you feel any better my mum is in a home, doesn't know who she is, who I am, or where she is, and wears diapers because she wets herself. There are times when I despise the strong tumor suppressor alleles that seem to run in my family.

Bill,
Welcome to 6P3. We are looking forward to you and your dad flying here.
Joe

Thanks Joe. My first ride EVER in an airplane was in your Commanche, 2009 or 2010(I think) at Pancakes and Planes. I remember it was very bumpy that day.

Sorry for your loss.

Fathers and sons (or brothers) sometimes have difficulties just visiting or picking up the phone to see how things are going. By having a plane in both your lives, it make a nice excuse to keep in touch. I have kept a partnership in a boat with my brother far beyond it's usefulness to me, just for that reason. Good on your Dad!

Congrats,hope this brings you and your father closer together.

I totally get it. My wife of 25 years lost her battle with cancer in 2005. For a few months immediately following her death I would drive to the cemetery almost every day and just hang out. To get to the cemetery I would pass the entrance to KDTO and would say to myself that some day I'm going to turn in and see if there was a flight school there. Indeed, there was, that day came when I did turn in, found myself on a discovery flight on the spot and 8 years, PPL, IR, 300 hours, and 4-way partnership in an immaculate 2007 Diamond DA40 later, I credit my decision to learn to fly as the one that started my journey on a path to happiness that I could never have imagined possible during that time after she died that I call "the void."

When I started the lessons I realized that for the first time since her death, my mind was not completely occupied by the grief. There's no time for grief when you're trying to just survive the lesson :).

My daughter, who was 21 at the time of her mother's death, also started to take lessons but she didn't finish. I guess she didn't need the relief as much as I did. Meanwhile, I recovered as much as anyone could be expected to recover. I no longer feel the pain of that grief but will always have a vivid memory of the pain. I found love again with a new life partner, coincidentally a widow, and we are living as hard as we can, frequently jumping in our "Ferrari in the sky" to new and interesting destinations as much as we can. Life is good.

I totally get it. My wife of 25 years lost her battle with cancer in 2005. For a few months immediately following her death I would drive to the cemetery almost every day and just hang out. To get to the cemetery I would pass the entrance to KDTO and would say to myself that some day I'm going to turn in and see if there was a flight school there. Indeed, there was, that day came when I did turn in, found myself on a discovery flight on the spot and 8 years, PPL, IR, 300 hours, and 4-way partnership in an immaculate 2007 Diamond DA40 later, I credit my decision to learn to fly as the one that started my journey on a path to happiness that I could never have imagined possible during that time after she died that I call "the void."

When I started the lessons I realized that for the first time since her death, my mind was not completely occupied by the grief. There's no time for grief when you're trying to just survive the lesson :).

My daughter, who was 21 at the time of her mother's death, also started to take lessons but she didn't finish. I guess she didn't need the relief as much as I did. Meanwhile, I recovered as much as anyone could be expected to recover. I no longer feel the pain of that grief but will always have a vivid memory of the pain. I found love again with a new life partner, coincidentally a widow, and we are living as hard as we can, frequently jumping in our "Ferrari in the sky" to new and interesting destinations as much as we can. Life is good.

Thanks for sharing. Blessings on you and your new bride. Life (and death) remind all of us eventually that life doesn't last forever. Glad you went down the "live more fully" path.

Thanks for sharing.

Sunday he did the start of his flight review. No one figured he'd pass it on his first "lesson", he's a bit rusty(I rode back seat). But he had a lot of fun and he will get it back soon.

So yeah, he's just surviving the lessons right now:yesnod:

Very sorry to hear about your mom.
Aside from that part of your story, I share the rest.

Dad used to fly, quit when we were young.
I started taking lessons and I think he figured I wouldn't stick with it.

I soloed and brought him my shirt tail.
He was current again 2 weeks later and then bought us a plane.

Like you I am flying for the price of fuel and I Love flying with my dad.
We fly frequently and trade legs. He flies out and I fly back.

I am also a lucky SOB ;)

You guys are really lucky. I can't think of one thing I did with my old man. Not one.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.

One of my main regrets in life will be not taking Mom flying with me. She always wanted to, but it never worked out. Now she's almost 80.. She's pretty mobile, but overweight and I don't think it would be possible to get her in (or out, God forbid an emergency).

Dad was always scared of flying, he would come to the airport and watch me. He always had tears in his eyes. Not sure if it was pride or fear.

Cancer took Dad.

I tell you this because you obviously have a tremendous opportunity to cash in your monetary riches for riches you can't buy. Enjoy every minute you can with your Dad in your venture. You someday will look back and tell your children what a great time you had with your Dad as he aged.

Still keep my first E6B in my bag that Dad bought me with his last $25 in 1989. I can't get rid of it.

Thank you for sharing.

Much appreciated.... I can say this much, the same thing could happen to him and 6 months later he could be gone. So for me this is a good chance to make up for what has been absent. The means justifies the end. I think we will have a lot of fun!

I thought I'd bump this.

Airplane was delivered shortly after Airventure. There have been a few issues with it, but it's a great flyer and the cockpit is like a little airliner. I've got about 20 hours in it now and really like it a lot!

Shot in Czech Republic before shipping it off to the US:

c1087bd790b50d0085f4d8682d5fef96-L.jpg

Of course the first thing I did was fly it to the local FBO:p

10433235_10204785827835464_247357067942833193_n-L.jpg

unnamed-L.jpg

The skin wrinkle due to wing flex is a bit disconcerting, but I assume it's normal for the breed:

unnamed%20%281%29-L.jpg

Nice. I've seen a couple up close. If they fly anywhere close to as nice as they look...:)

I've managed to do all kinds of fun things with my Dad when growing up. I've allways flown right seat with him because at the time I had no PPL. But After I got my PPL he allowed me to use his 182 to get my HP endorsement. We worked it in at a time we were both at the same place at the same time. (He lived in CO, and I lived in GA)
At age 85 he allowed his medical to lapse, and put the 182 on the market. As luck would have it, I was in CO for a visit, and was able to fly with him in right seat in his 182. (kind of a "full circle" thing) If I lived closer, I would buy something that he could fly LSA for the cost of gas. Shoot!! I'd buy the gas!!. He's 87 now, sharp as a tack, and about as phyically fit as one can be at 87.
I just wish I lived close enough to warrent regular visits every few weeks.

To the OP; I'm glad ya'll can have fun together. (and kinda jelous too :D)

You didn't mention ADS B. Hope you have both out and in.

Congrats on the plane now fly safe.

You guys are really lucky. I can't think of one thing I did with my old man. Not one.

That's one of the saddest things I've read. My dad was a busy guy when I was growing up, but he still engaged us in his activities as often as he could, and took an interest in our activities as much as he could. In his late eighties now I talk to him at least once or twice every day and value his wisdom and insight.

I've tried to be even more involved in my son's life. Countless hours on our lake since he was two. Taught him to waterski and wakeboard, and spent hundreds of hours (and 100s of gallons of gas!) pulling him around the lake for the last 20 years. Taught him to fish, snow ski, shoot a gun, camp, etc., then taught him to fly....forever a highlight of my life for me. May get to do his instrument rating next summer after he graduates from college with ATC major in May.

So to the OP, enjoy the time you have with your dad!

Last edited:
It does have in and out. You name it, it's got it. Only thing I wish it had was a second com. Currently it's got a single flip flop.

That's sad. Sorry to hear. I was lucky enough to know all of my grandparents, both parents of course, and two great grandmothers.

The skin waviness in post 32 bottom pic is normal inflight. Lots of RV's have this, including mine (.025" outboard skins).

Back