I have PTSD, anxiety, and depression from War, but need a class I medical!

U

Unregistered

As the title states, I have been diagnosed, and receive benefits (pay) from the VA. I need to know what needs to happen to discontinue said benefits and get a clear bill of health so that I can attain a class I medical. Thanks in advance!

Semper Fi,
Luke

Essentially, you will have to prove to the FAA's satisfaction that you do not in fact have either PTSD or clinical depression. That will be an expensive process taking at least months and not covered by insurance (don't know whether the VA will pay for any of that or not -- you'll have to ask your VA benefits counselor). Bruce can give you the details of how to go about that.

And I thank you for your service under what must have been very difficult circumstances -- it is regrettable that it damaged you in this manner.

Last edited:
Essentially, you will have to prove to the FAA's satisfaction that you do not in fact have either PTSD or clinical depression. That will be an expensive process taking at least months and not covered by insurance (don't know whether the VA will pay for any of that or not -- you'll have to ask your VA benefits counselor). Bruce can give you the details of how to go about that.

And I thank you for your service under what must have been very difficult circumstances -- it is regrettable that it damaged you in this manner.

+1 for contacting Dr. Bruce
Plus another +1 for the thank you
Good Luck

Plus another one

Makes me wonder where commercial aviation would be if we treated WWII Vets/pilots with a diagnosis like this.:confused:

Makes me wonder where commercial aviation would be if we treated WWII Vets/pilots with a diagnosis like this.:confused:
We didn't have such a diagnosis back then. The disorder did not exist in the literature until 1952 (as "gross stress reaction"), and then disappeared from the DSM in 1968. It did not exist under the current name PTSD until 1980. In any event, like ADHD, it seems to be diagnosed as a medical condition (under whatever name) with far more frequency today than it was half a century ago, but I don't want to engage in speculation as to why this is so since that isn't relevant to the problem at hand (FAA medical certification of someone with that diagnosis).

Recent studies have shown that a lot of that has to do with how warriors come home now. In WWII and previous battles you sat on a ship for a couple months crossing the ocean and had time with your brothers that were there, to vent, talk about it with, and just wind down a bit. Now a days you go from being in the field to back home in less than a week, a couple days waiting to get out of country, and a couple of days waiting to get the rest of the way back home. Not much of a transition time.

We didn't have such a diagnosis back then. The disorder did not exist in the literature until 1952 (as "gross stress reaction"), and then disappeared from the DSM in 1968. It did not exist under the current name PTSD until 1980. In any event, like ADHD, it seems to be diagnosed as a medical condition (under whatever name) with far more frequency today than it was half a century ago, but I don't want to engage in speculation as to why this is so since that isn't relevant to the problem at hand (FAA medical certification of someone with that diagnosis).

I remember many pilots from WW 2 who never wanted to step inside an aircraft much less fly it! A pals dad, graduate of West Point , flew 20 missions in a 17 in England. Had to be helped from the plane, he had married a British girl who returned home with him. She took care of him and He did little more than stare out the window for the rest of his life. Seems like a few sessions with a good mental health professional discussing the flying situation would be a good idea. Could be it's just not a good idea to fly, especially commercially if that's the object.

Recent studies have shown that a lot of that has to do with how warriors come home now. In WWII and previous battles you sat on a ship for a couple months crossing the ocean and had time with your brothers that were there, to vent, talk about it with, and just wind down a bit. Now a days you go from being in the field to back home in less than a week, a couple days waiting to get out of country, and a couple of days waiting to get the rest of the way back home. Not much of a transition time.

Makes me wonder if this has something to do with the military suicides exceeding number of KIA.
Not to hijack he thread, just wonder why making a label for traumatic experiences makes it difficult to obtain a Medical of any level.

I remember many pilots from WW 2 who never wanted to step inside an aircraft much less fly it! A pals dad, graduate of West Point , flew 20 missions in a 17 in England. Had to be helped from the plane, he had married a British girl who returned home with him. She took care of him and He did little more than stare out the window for the rest of his life. Seems like a few sessions with a good mental health professional discussing the flying situation would be a good idea. Could be it's just not a good idea to fly, especially commercially if that's the object.

I'd have to say a man who flew 20 combat missions and made it home could fly me anywhere , anytime. If he chose to pursue a career in civil aviation.

Pretty much says it all. One vet to another, Thanks! and I hope you're able to reach your goals.

I'd have to say a man who flew 20 combat missions and made it home could fly me anywhere , anytime. If he chose to pursue a career in civil aviation.

He made it home but the trauma of those missions obviously had a very traumatic affect on him. It's also interesting that many many accidents in WW2 occurred due to bad weather, especially while forming up. Many manycrashed into each other with a full bomb load. Etc. This also contributed to bad nerves. Even with much better instruments, today, solid IFR can be vexing to some. Many years ago, flying a lot of right seat in a shrike commander , turbo commander, in solid IFR, turbulence, etc. I realized it was not my bag. I never pursued it for this reason.

Last edited:
Like Ron said it wasn't diagnosed in WWII but I've read you could apply for disability benefits from it later on. My grandfather fought on Tarawa, Guadalcanal and Saipan. Only 20 % disability for two bullet wounds. Nothing for the horrors he experienced in his mind.

In Vietnam, it was often less than 24 hours from the rice paddies to the streets of home. And the American public didn't help matters by treating them as pariahs, not to mention zero recognition of the condition by the VA.

In any event, for someone thus diagnosed today, the process is what it is -- long and expensive. I sure hope VA helps with that process because I know insurance doesn't.

...just wonder why making a label for traumatic experiences makes it difficult to obtain a Medical of any level.
It's not the label that's the problem, it's the manifestations of the underlying mental disorder. See the VA's web page on that, and think about how some of those symptoms in a pilot could compromise safety. That's why the FAA wants a full psych eval on anyone who's been so diagnosed before they're allowed back in the cockpit. My personal feeling is that if this is a result of military service, it ought to be on the VA's nickel (or the military's if you're still in), but that's another story and I don't know whether that's done or not.

Last edited:
Interesting how different people handled it. My uncle recently died at 93. He and the pilot bailed out their B24 over polesti. ( he had three missions left) the airplane immed. Exploded killing everyone else. He spent a year in stalag , went on to fly in A26s, b 50s, b 47s and 52s. Retired as lt. Col. After thirty years. Very calm, funny, great person, raised 6 nice kids. ( if you look up the total crashes of B47s and 52s, many coming apart in turbulence, with atomic weapons on board, etc. he must have had nerves of steel.)

Last edited:
Interesting how different people handled it. My uncle recently died at 93. He and the pilot bailed out their B24 over polesti. ( he had three missions left) the airplane immed. Exploded killing everyone else. He spent a year in stalag , went on to fly in A26s, b 50s, b 47s and 52s. Retired as lt. Col. After thirty years. Very calm, funny, great person, raised 6 nice kids.
My late Uncle Wilbur was a waist gunner on a B-17 shot down over Germany and spent a year in a Stalag -- much he didn't like to talk about, but he did say Stalag 17 soft-pedaled it some. My other Uncle Murray was a gunner on an A-20 which crash-landed and caught fire at their base on a Pacific island -- only survivor, with serious burns (you can still see the scars on his neck and disfigured ear). It was fifty years before he would talk about it at all, and even today at age 89 is reticent about it, and mention of the rest of the crew chokes him up and brings tears to his eyes, and all he ever remembered is being on final approach and then waking up in the burn unit

It was serious then, and it's more serious now with fewer people with whom to share one's experiences (my father and every one of my uncles served in WWII -- not even close with my brother and cousins, and less still in my son's generation).

Last edited:
In Vietnam, it was often less than 24 hours from the rice paddies to the streets of home. And the American public didn't help matters by treating them as pariahs, not to mention zero recognition of the condition by the VA.

Amen!

We were proclaimed as the world's Baby Killers, ridiculed and spat upon; shunned and never thanked and now often question how much "appreciation" now is mere pandering, because "it is the thing to do."
Many of us are still "gun shy, thank you"

We were proclaimed as the world's Baby Killers, ridiculed and spat upon; shunned and never thanked and now often question how much "appreciation" now is mere pandering, because "it is the thing to do."
And you know who today are the ones who say "Thank you for your service" to the old folks like us when they find out we served? The kids now in uniform, not our contemporaries. :sigh:

Amen!

I was pretty young when my dad came back in '67, but I was old enough to still remember those days.

The first two minutes is the most pertinent. The rest is just humorous.

And the American public didn't help matters by treating them as pariahs, not to mention zero recognition of the condition by the VA.

And that is the truth. As a VN Era vet who never served in-country, I experienced some of the reaction to returning vets and it was worse for those who were the real heros. My hat was, is, and will be off to those who were in combat.

-Skip

I get really angry when I see these commercials on TV for support of wounded warriors. Because I truly believe our wounded warriors should want for nothing in the first place.

I think the approach where PTSD is concerned should be: Innocent until proven guilty. Start with the assumption that unless there is some obvious compelling reason these folks should be able to pursue their dreams. We should be able to test this and we should foot the bill for any testing.

It's not the label that's the problem, it's the manifestations of the underlying mental disorder. See the VA's web page on that, and think about how some of those symptoms in a pilot could compromise safety. That's why the FAA wants a full psych eval on anyone who's been so diagnosed before they're allowed back in the cockpit. My personal feeling is that if this is a result of military service, it ought to be on the VA's nickel (or the military's if you're still in), but that's another story and I don't know whether that's done or not.

Did the OP mention flying? I'm thinking this might be for a Dispatcher's cert and not pilot.

Like Ron said it wasn't diagnosed in WWII but I've read you could apply for disability benefits from it later on. My grandfather fought on Tarawa, Guadalcanal and Saipan. Only 20 % disability for two bullet wounds. Nothing for the horrors he experienced in his mind.

It was certainly diagnosed in WW2! It was called shell shock in both WW1-2. Many were treated not only after the war but in temporary hosp. Near the battle field. If the patient responded with bed rest and decent nourishment, they returned to battle, if not sent home.

It was certainly diagnosed in WW2! It was called shell shock in both WW1-2. Many were treated not only after the war but in temporary hosp. Near the battle field. If the patient responded with bed rest and decent nourishment, they returned to battle, if not sent home.

Well if it was available my grandfather never received any professional treatment. Perhaps it was pride, but he never sought out any help. I can tell you that he suffered nightmares for years after the war.

Did the OP mention flying? I'm thinking this might be for a Dispatcher's cert and not pilot.
Unless I missed something in the regs (Part 65 Subpart C or Part 121 Subpart P, there is no requirement for any medical certificate to act as a dispatcher, even in Part 121 operations, and the OP specifically said a First Class medical is the goal.

Well if it was available my grandfather never received any professional treatment. Perhaps it was pride, but he never sought out any help. I can tell you that he suffered nightmares for years after the war.

Back then mental problems, like cancer were never spoken of. Great stigma attached to mental problems, still is! I'm sure many did not want to admit they had a problem. With what combat troops go thru, you'd thing governments would get the message but most wars start by politicians who have never been in combat. After the war they don't seem too keen on providing the BILLIONS needed to help these troops, but only to willing to provide billions for unsavory defense contractors if it helps their reelection.

Amen!

Thank you. I thought I was the only Nam vet with those feelings. It is now to the point where it turns my stomach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a close family friend who suffered burns over 30% of his body in Vietnam saving a fellow soldier. The struggles he had and continues to have with the VA should be criminal. He was a 20 year old kid. I am always amazed when I realize how young the soldiers were (and are) going to war. They look like babies and sending them off to war is just hard to imagine.

To quote H.L. Mencken......" Show me a patriot....I'll show you a son of a *****!" Unquote. Lots of these in congress. Big advocates for war but never served in combat and if they did serve , never left the states. Lindsey graham, G.W. Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney, would come quickly to mind.

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry was a B-17 pilot in the Pacific during WWII. After leaving the Army, he never touched a yoke again, and refused to talk about his service.

This isn't accurate. He did fly B17s in the Pacific theater and he was awarded the DFC. After he left the military he flew for Pan-Am for awhile.

As I recall, correct me if wrong,Senator George McGovern, flew B24s DFC, never said much about it un less questioned specifically about it.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I was out of town and unable to reply over the weekend. I will email the doc mentioned in the reply and get to work on whatever is necessary (psych eval etc). I am wanting to fly commercially, nothing less will do. I will be heading to the VA after class to see if I can get the ball rolling with them somehow. Thanks again.

Semper Fi
Luke

.................., it seems to be diagnosed as a medical condition (under whatever name) with far more frequency today than it was half a century ago, but I don't want to engage in speculation as to why this is so since that isn't relevant to the problem at hand (FAA medical certification of someone with that diagnosis).
I think the answer should be obvious ($$$), OTOH like you say...that's not relevant to the problem at hand.

John C Saubak, Spc 5 (ret)
Huey Crewchief, Viet Nam 1967-68
wounded in action 17 May 68
60% disabled, gunshot wounds to the left arm and hand

Thank you. I thought I was the only Nam vet with those feelings. It is now to the point where it turns my stomach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds about right, my Grandfather fought in WWII and Korea and after coming home from Vietnam promptly left the military. According to my grandmother he came home from Vietnam a different person, unlike his previous combat.

Interesting how different people handled it. My uncle recently died at 93. He and the pilot bailed out their B24 over polesti. ( he had three missions left) the airplane immed. Exploded killing everyone else. He spent a year in stalag , went on to fly in A26s, b 50s, b 47s and 52s. Retired as lt. Col. After thirty years. Very calm, funny, great person, raised 6 nice kids. ( if you look up the total crashes of B47s and 52s, many coming apart in turbulence, with atomic weapons on board, etc. he must have had nerves of steel.)
I had an older cousin in the Navy in the pacific in WWII, his boat (destoyer I think?) was hit by a Japanese Kamakzi and barely limped into friendly port taking on water faster than they could pump it out. He was always a little (well, maybe a lot) paranoid as I remember him in later years, spent most of the later years as an outpatient/inpatient in the mental ward of the VA hospital at Sheridan, WY. Last time I saw him a few years before he passed was at his mothers (my aunts) funeral........I'm not too sure he even knew what planet he was on? Sad case indeed. OTOH, I've known two members of the older generation that were captured by the Japanese in the Philippines early in the war and were unwilling participants in the infamous Bataan death march followed by a POW camp 'til they were liberated eventually by advancing friendly forces. They both went on to lead long and fruitful civilian lives, so why do some retain their sanity while others snap? I don't pretend to know.

As the title states, I have been diagnosed, and receive benefits (pay) from the VA. I need to know what needs to happen to discontinue said benefits and get a clear bill of health so that I can attain a class I medical. Thanks in advance!

Semper Fi,
Luke

I'll be really blunt.

If you do have PTSD, anxiety and depression, you should not get a class I medical. If you don't have PTSD, anxiety and depression, you shouldn't be receiving VA benefits. Which is it? Maybe a little more info would be helpful.

BTW, I'm an ex Nam-era vet and I'm not necessarily unsympathetic to your issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back