just another scam

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Chris and I were in the kitchen cooking dinner last night when my cell phone rang; just once then quit.

I joked "it's probably the scam you read about the other day."

I walked over to the phone and checked the number, saw that the call was from 268-762-0077, Googled the area code and, sure enough, it actually was the scam.

268 is the area code for Antigua and Barbuda. The scammer's goal, by only letting your phone ring once, is to get you to call back to see who was calling. If you return the call, then you'll be billed a $10 fee that the scammer somehow profits from.

I never return a call from a number I don't know, this is another good reason why.

Here's a discussion about it on the Verizon forum:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/815133

Be careful out there.

Chris and I were in the kitchen cooking dinner last night when my cell phone rang; just once then quit.

I joked "it's probably the scam you read about the other day."

I walked over to the phone and checked the number, saw that the call was from 268-762-0077, Googled the area code and, sure enough, it actually was the scam.

268 is the area code for Antigua and Barbuda. The scammer's goal, by only letting your phone ring once, is to get you to call back to see who was calling. If you return the call, then you'll be billed a $10 fee that the scammer somehow profits from.

I never return a call from a number I don't know, this is another good reason why.

Here's a discussion about it on the Verizon forum:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/815133

Be careful out there.

I always leave a message because most people, including me, won't answer unknown numbers.

I always leave a message because most people, including me, won't answer unknown numbers.

Don't do that, half the people on here will shoot you for leaving a voice mail.

Maybe instead of 1-268-number dial 0-268-number and see if you can get them to answer collect. :D

That's one of the nice things about having domestic-only service. It reduces the scam ratio.

-Rich

Another good one for telemarketers is to call their 800 numbers from payphones. They have to pay the quarter or whatever it is to the payphone operator for those calls.

My attitude is that if it's important, they'll call back.

I do enjoy putting telemarketers on hold though. "Hold on for just a moment will you? I'll be right back". If they can waste my time, I can waste thiers. Turnabout is fair play. Or the morons who say they are from Microsoft and are checking my computer security. I can keep them on the phone for at least 30 minutes before they catch on they are being had.

Last edited:
Another good one for telemarketers is to call their 800 numbers from payphones. They have to pay the quarter or whatever it is to the payphone operator for those calls.

What's a pay phone? ;)

There are still pay phones?

Yup, there is even one at 16th and Court (mid-ish block) here on the Mall in Denver. I've even seen people using it. I think Denver Health should examine it for critters...

My wife was been getting the 268 area code eveyday this week. We get a lot of telemarketer at work, usually selling oil stocks. If my day is slow, I will have some fun with them. It the same idiots who call back dispite us telling them to stop. So we waist their time.

My wife and I both had the same thing at exactly the same time a couple days ago.

I just never answer any number I don't recognize. Out of my area code? Fugiddaboutit.

I kinda have to answer unrecognized numbers since my cell phone is the number listed for the airport.

I actually think I read this idea here...

When a "telemarketer" calls, put on your best southern baptist (holier than thou) voice and tell them "I'm so glad you called, I've been wanting to speak with you about our lord Jesus Christ. Are you a believer?"

I've been doing this for about three months now and they ALL immediately hang up and NONE call back.

:thumbsup:

What's a pay phone? ;)

Yup, there is even one at 16th and Court (mid-ish block) here on the Mall in Denver. I've even seen people using it. I think Denver Health should examine it for critters...

Wow! There still is one. Who would have guessed?

If you don't recognize the number and they didn't leave a message,why would you call back?

I haven't noticed the sign and haven't seen any geezers.

Ask Tim my mood when I answer a number I don't recognize...:D

:rofl:...:goofy:

No comment. Well, except to say that you would've thought that I was a OSU player landing in the stands in Texas.

<jk>

Last edited:
I signed up for NOMOROBO the other day. It regularly intercepts four or five calls a day that I might have considered answering.

I haven't noticed the sign and haven't seen any geezers.

The geezers are there occasionally, but they are friendly. I tried to walk through the gate once and bypass the office and one came running out and asked me to visit.

If you don't recognize the number and they didn't leave a message,why would you call back?

It's beyond me, but I get calls at the dealership at least 3-4 times a month from people who saw our number on caller ID, call back, ask for me and want to know what I want?:confused: These are the type people being targeted by this scam, people who think every call must be returned and investigated. ;)
The only time I call back a missed call is it's from someone I know, I never call back numbers I don't recognize, if it's important they'll leave a message or call back, that's what I do when I call someone and they don't answer. ;)

Don't do that, half the people on here will shoot you for leaving a voice mail.

Then he's a dead man because the other half of us will shoot him if he calls and just hangs up without leaving a message.

And I would like to shoot those of you that return calls without listening to the detailed message I left you and expecting me to explain the whole thing again. But I think we already beat up on that dead horse a while back. For some reason, nobody changed their minds on the subject.

Back