Twin makes emergency landing in Parker CO

wow, they didn't say "a plane crash landed..."

Hmm. Was Ric flying it? Does Ric still even own it?

Hmm. Was Ric flying it? Does Ric still even own it?
I pretty sure no to both. Ric doesn't live around here any more. I sometimes communicate with him on FB and he hasn't mentioned the airplane in a long time. I know he had his share for sale but that was a number of years ago.

That was the last I recall as well. Interesting situation.

The way the props are bent looks like windmilling only?

Yeah, I have a feeling the 'mechanical problem' was running out of fuel.

Probably, good smooth looking spot to put it down! :D

Look a little closer, they were lucky if they don't have back injuries - a 30 degree turn would have put them more-or-less parallel to the draw instead of going through it.

The way the props are bent looks like windmilling only?
Not necessarily. The direction that the props bend is a factor of RPM and forward velocity. You could get bending like that from the engines being close to idle at touchdown.

I guess curious minds want to know!

No, I was not flying the old girl, as I have not been an owner for almost a year. It is still based in KCOS, and currently owned by my previous partners. Not sure if it is still on leaseback with the pilot center we had it with before my departure.

ironically, I still get FlightAware notices every time it files a flight plan, or departs / arrives on that flight plan.

Shame to see it go down.... but it doesn't look too beat up!

It'll probably be the end of her flying days. Double prop strike on its own is probably enough to total it. Sad. :(

I guess curious minds want to know!

No, I was not flying the old girl, as I have not been an owner for almost a year. It is still based in KCOS, and currently owned by my previous partners. Not sure if it is still on leaseback with the pilot center we had it with before my departure.
So I guessed right? :D

Nice seeing you here again Ric.

It was getting a bit long in the tooth... Engines were pretty much gone, but the parts are still worth a bit... And the stack was pretty extensive... So good luck to the guys in salvaging what might be...

It was getting a bit long in the tooth... Engines were pretty much gone, but the parts are still worth a bit... And the stack was pretty extensive... So good luck to the guys in salvaging what might be...

That's the thing with most twins. Even with our 310 that has new engines and a good hull value, I think a wreck like that would consider it totaled. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

That's the thing with most twins. Even with our 310 that has new engines and a good hull value, I think a wreck like that would consider it totaled. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Depends on the insured value vs cost to repair. If the cost to repair is less than 80% insured value it will get repaired. Aircraft policies aren't ACV like car insurance, they are a Stated Value policy.

Depends on the insured value vs cost to repair. If the cost to repair is less than 80% insured value it will get repaired. Aircraft policies aren't ACV like car insurance, they are a Stated Value policy.

That's my point. I'm pretty sure that, even for a 310N with a pretty high stated value, the double prop strike would exceed that 80% point.

That's my point. I'm pretty sure that, even for a 310N with a pretty high stated value, the double prop strike would exceed that 80% point.

Might, but I would think it would take more than just the prop strike damage.

Might, but I would think it would take more than just the prop strike damage.

If you have a double prop strike, you probably also have other damage...

I thought that big azz step would save everything?

The step on the 310 is retractable. Even if it doesn't come up with the gear fully like it should, it will pivot on its bolt. It won't be very useful.

I was joking, but didn't realize it was retractable.

I knew you were joking, but that won't stop me from providing some education. :)

The step is also really weak. The Aztec step would actually support the plane.

Back