Random Fun: What famous people have you met?

I did go to high school with someone who has an Oscar and a couple of Grammies, though. She played quite a number of high school gigs, too - Melissa Etheridge. I don't think she made it to our last HS reunion, but she has been to a few...maybe next time. Whenever I hear her on the radio I tell my wife, "Hey, it's my old girlfriend!"
We have something in common there, sorta.

As you drive into Leavenworth, Kansas, there is a sign in the shape of a guitar by the side of the road, announcing that Leavenworth is the hometown of Melissa Etheridge. A little further down the road is a sign in the shape of a banjo with the name of another Grammy-winning Leavenworth product, Randy Sparks, folksinger, songwriter, founder and lead singer of The New Christy Minstrels. Randy, a good friend, still maintains the World Headquarters of NCM in Leavenworth.

Photo%2520Jul%252012%252C%252010%252058%252059%2520AM.jpg

Remember this 1963 album?

Ramblin_Front.jpg

Here's a photo from a 2007 NCM concert in California. Randy is in the middle, yours truly is second from right, and Barry ("Eve of Destruction") McGuire is at the far left.

On%2520Stage%2520with%2520NCM_2e.jpg

We have something in common there, sorta.

As you drive into Leavenworth, Kansas, there is a sign in the shape of a guitar by the side of the road, announcing that Leavenworth is the hometown of Melissa Etheridge. A little further down the road is a sign in the shape of a banjo with the name of another Grammy-winning Leavenworth product, Randy Sparks, folksinger, songwriter, founder and lead singer of The New Christy Minstrels. Randy, a good friend, still maintains the World Headquarters of NCM in Leavenworth.

Photo%2520Jul%252012%252C%252010%252058%252059%2520AM.jpg

Remember this 1963 album?

Ramblin_Front.jpg

Here's a photo from a 2007 NCM concert in California. Randy is in the middle, yours truly is second from right, and Barry ("Eve of Destruction") McGuire is at the far left.

On%2520Stage%2520with%2520NCM_2e.jpg

I remember when we met for lunch a couple years ago - you were on your XC and mentioned this.

PS - you didn't say anything about the Wayne Simien sign. His uncle lives two houses down from me.

When I was in high school, I dated Gram Parson's sister. Let's see how many people recognize that name without looking it up.

When I was in high school, I dated Gram Parson's sister. Let's see how many people recognize that name without looking it up.

Famous for his nudie suit with weed and pills on it.
Member of the Byrds...briefly.
Friend of the Stones (Possibly wrote Wild Horses)
ODed. Friends stole his corpse.

I'm a fan. Have Grevious Angel on the iPod.

Didn't look nuthin' up.

Ummm who was his girlfriend? Ummmm Was in the last waltz.... Not Jonie Mitchell. Emmie Lou Harris... GOT IT.

What do I win?

Kirby Grant (Sky King)

Didn't really "meet" him, but Ben Davidson formerly of the Oakland Raiders hit me in the crotch with his helmet once.

So Share. What famous people have you met?
What were the circumstances?

Having worked in TV all my life, there have been numerous famous people through the stations where I worked. The ones that come to mind related to aviation are Ben Abruzzo, Maxie Anderson, and Larry Newman from Albuquerque who made the first balloon flight across the Atlantic. Larry manufactured ultralights in a shop there in Albuquerque, and was under contract to ABC to fly with condors in South America for an ABC Sports special. I was farmed out by my station to help install a miniature microwave transmitter on his ultralight. Was at dinner that evening with Larry, listening to first hand accounts of being in the middle of the Atlantic in a balloon. (Their primary radio frequency was 121.5 - yes, when you are in the middle of the Atlantic in a balloon it IS an emergency.) Also a lot of great antidotes about his close friend astronaut John Young.

Bobby and Al Unser were also Albuquerque locals who came by the studios for interviews and to make commercials, etc. Would often see Bobby's Aerostar at the airport with its N500BU registration.

Donald Engen, Jerry Jones, Richard Bach, Roy Acuff, Shelley West, David Frizzell, Minnie Pearl, Senator Stuart Symington

I've met several, but usually I'm not too impressed by celebrity. Some if my favorites, however have been the celebrities who go on USO tours to inhospitable areas. Here is one of my favs.

I hope this works, I'm doing this from my phone.

Another bay area pilot!

The most revered and accomplished astronaut of them all!

Very true. Two Gemini flights, including the maiden flight. Apollo 10 orbiting the moon, Apollo 16 and 3 days on the surface of the moon. Two shuttle flights including the maiden flight. Held record for most flights for a long time.

I know I've met some. Apparently didn't leave much of an impression. William Perry is from my hometown. Also knew Strom Thurmond. Saw James Brown downtown one day getting out of a limo when he was supposed to be in jail. I know George Patton's grandson.

I remember the "squeezing out sparks" album back when I was a DJ.

Dwight Eisenhower
Gerald Ford
George HW Bush
Jeb Bush
Herman Cain
Robert Goulet
Doc Severenson
Ed MacMahon
Larry Holmes
Jerry Jenkins
Billy Graham
Frank Robinson
Cal Ripken
Rollie Fingers
George Brett
Whitey Herzog
Ernest Borghnein

Last edited:
Lemme see, the memorable folks:

Music:
Quincy Jones (and everyone else on the We are the World sessions, which was an internship for me)
Ricky Skaggs
Billy Joel
All of the Cars
Aimee Mann and Paula Cole were schoolmates
Frank Zappa
Steve Vai
Scott Thunes
Ike Willis
Bruce Hornsby
All of Kansas
James Brown
Chaka Khan
Arthur Fiedler
Steve Miller
Jimmy Buffet

Actors/Actresses/Media:
Sharon Stone (biotch)
Geena Davis (sweetheart)
Diane Lane
Harrison Ford
Marina Sirtis
Jeri Ryan
William Shatner
John Travolta
Bette Midler
Barbra Streisand (not a biotch, but very focused and very precise)
Walter Cronkite (narrated a piece at the Coast Guard academy, then conducted "Semper Paratus" and went out with the band for pizza/beer afterwards)

Writers:
RAH
Spider Robinson
Stephen King

Politicians:
Janet Reno
Both Clintons
Both Bushes
Obama
John Ashcroft
Senator Pat Schroeder
Senator James Warner
Congressman Frank Wolf

Aviators:
Bob Hoover
Sean Tucker
Jim LeRoy
Jane Wicker
Neil Armstrong
John Glenn

Worked on Usher's HVAC and Kenny Rogers' helicopter.

I met Henning once.... And Ted Dupuy (sp) too......

Neither one would give me an autograph...:sad:

I just realized that I do have one name to post here:

John Bowman (Red Baron Pizza flight team lead for many years) was one of my primary flight instructors

The other "famous" folks I've met are all industry types who are little known outside the oil patch - but several are past members of the national academy.

I remember the "squeezing out sparks" album back when I was a DJ.
If you're veeery quiet you can almost hear Graham Parker smack his forehead every time someone does that. :rolleyes:

Nauga,
and the switch that turns on the endless night

Had an arrest warrant for a rapper once. He turned himself in before anyone could serve it.

This was a few months back. My wife and I got to meet these guys:

So Share. What famous people have you met?
What were the circumstances?

That's awesome, I'd love to meet Jamie and Adam. My buddy has been rubbing it in because he recently got to hang out with 'em for a while. He was the runner-up on The Inventern.

As for me, I've met:

• Cornell Iral Haynes, Jr. a.k.a. "Nelly" - He was a customer at my Starbucks, as well as the next-door neighbor of one of my buddies. After he knew me from the 'Bux, he recognized me in the neighborhood and we got invited to a party at his house.
  • Albert Pujols - I worked the cafe at the gym he was a member of in St. Louis (why he had a membership and a private gym in his house is still a mystery to me; I wish I had money to blow...). Once or twice a week for a few months, I would make him breakfast and occasionally sit down and eat with him.
  • Sean Tucker - I flew into KOAK during Fleet Week 2009 and parked next to his plane when he was out by it.
  • Greg Feith - He was at my university doing a presentation, then some of went to dinner with him.

Don Henley (before Eagles)
Paul Revere (of the Raiders)
Mark Lindsay. " "
Flo and Eddie (Turtles)
Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits)
Chuck Berry
David Lindley
Jimmy Vaughan and his parents
Muddy Waters
Tom Rush
Deedee Ramone
Peter Gabriel
Gary Primich
Oliver Stone
Tom Cruise (his mom, 1st wife Mime Rogers(?))
Micheal Irvin
I grew up about twenty miles from Henley. His band, The Four Speeds, used to play the local high school dances.Jimmy Vaughan( Stevie Ray's brother)dad was a journeyman in my Local while I was an apprentice. My favorite musician to meet was Muddy Waters, backstage after a performance at what was Nick's Uptown in Dallas.

In no particular order-

John Tesh
Rick Wakeman
Jon Anderson
Carl Palmer
Geoff Downs
All of The Fixx
Keith Emerson
Glenn Beck
Rory Block
Jordan Rudess
Nelson DeMille
Jeff Skiles
Sully
Burt Rutan
Gail Sheehy
Ray Dolby
Tom Green
Billy Crystal

For as smart as most of you claim to be, it's obvious you aren't familiar with what "famous" actually means.

I've never even bumped into anyone famous, let alone been around them long enough to consider it a meeting.

Don Henley (before Eagles)
Paul Revere (of the Raiders)
Mark Lindsay. " "
Flo and Eddie (Turtles)
Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits)
Chuck Berry
David Lindley
Jimmy Vaughan and his parents
Muddy Waters
Tom Rush
Deedee Ramone
Peter Gabriel
Gary Primich
Oliver Stone
Tom Cruise (his mom, 1st wife Mime Rogers(?))
Micheal Irvin
I grew up about twenty miles from Henley. His band, The Four Speeds, used to play the local high school dances.Jimmy Vaughan( Stevie Ray's brother)dad was a journeyman in my Local while I was an apprentice. My favorite musician to meet was Muddy Waters, backstage after a performance at what was Nick's Uptown in Dallas.

Shenanigans! Paul Revere was WAY before you or powered flight!

Dwight Eisenhower
Gerald Ford
George HW Bush
Jeb Bush
Herman Cain
Robert Goulet
Doc Severenson
Ed MacMahon
Larry Holmes
Jerry Jenkins
Billy Graham
Frank Robinson
Cal Ripken
Rollie Fingers
George Brett
Witty Herzog
Ernest Borghnein

This is people you've met...in real life. Not tapes you listen to every night.
:rofl:

Also knew Strom Thurmond.
About 15 years ago I had flown to Oak Harbor WA for business in nearby Coupeville. When my meeting was over, I phoned for a cab to take me back to the airport. By the pay phone (remember those?) was a business card for "Fred's Taxi". So I called the number and Fred himself answered.

Fred soon showed up in a clapped-out, late-70s Caprice. At least it was newer and shinier than my airplane. I got in and Fred threw my briefcase in the trunk. The trunk latch didn't work well, and it took several tries to get it closed. Then Fred got in and turned the key. It wouldn't turn over. Fred went back to the trunk to dig out a spare battery and jumper cables.

Fred soon had the car running and the trunk closed, and we were on our way to the airport. We had a pleasant conversation, during which I learned that Fred's last name was Thurmond ... and his daddy's brother was the senior Senator from South Carolina.

Lemme see, the memorable folks:

Music:
Quincy Jones (and everyone else on the We are the World sessions, which was an internship for me)
Ricky Skaggs
Billy Joel
All of the Cars
Aimee Mann and Paula Cole were schoolmates
Frank Zappa
Steve Vai
Scott Thunes
Ike Willis
Bruce Hornsby
All of Kansas
James Brown
Chaka Khan
Arthur Fiedler
Steve Miller
Jimmy Buffet

Actors/Actresses/Media:
Sharon Stone (biotch)
Geena Davis (sweetheart)
Diane Lane
Harrison Ford
Marina Sirtis
Jeri Ryan
William Shatner
John Travolta
Bette Midler
Barbra Streisand (not a biotch, but very focused and very precise)
Walter Cronkite (narrated a piece at the Coast Guard academy, then conducted "Semper Paratus" and went out with the band for pizza/beer afterwards)

Writers:
RAH Now I'm impressed. My SIL was a secretary for one of the big SF agents back in the late 70s and while visiting her one day got to me Gordy Dickson. He autographed a couple of his books for me.
Spider Robinson
Stephen King

Politicians:
Janet Reno
Both Clintons
Both Bushes
Obama
John Ashcroft
Senator Pat Schroeder
Senator James Warner
Congressman Frank Wolf

Aviators:
Bob Hoover
Sean Tucker
Jim LeRoy
Jane Wicker
Neil Armstrong
John Glenn

See above system is arguing about size

Well I wouldn't say they're all that famous but I've flown:

Chairman Joint Chiefs Gen Richard Myers and Adm Mike Mullens
Gen Patreaus
Gen McCrystal
Adm McCraven (Bin Laden raid)
Senators Chambliss & Hatch
Senator Graham (AF Col)
Lara Logan (60 minutes)
Billy Blanks
Geraldo Rivera
President Karzai

Did a PAR for AF 1 and got to meet President Clinton afterwards.

I have to hear this story.

My dad is good friends with Bruce Hornsby and I grew up with his sons. Bruce is quite a character.

Here is an awkward one. That is Tom Wilson (Biff From back to the future)

Singing to me and running his fingers through my hair.

biff2.jpg

biff1.jpg

Back