Greeley/Denver

jkaduk

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
John Kaduk
What is there to do in the Greeley/Denver area this time of year other than ski?

Drive through the mountains always works for me.

Land at Leadville.

Microbreweries in the area are pretty good.

Joe

What is there to do in the Greeley/Denver area this time of year other than ski?
I second the drive in the mountains as long as it's not snowing at the time. If you're up there by Greeley you might try driving to Estes Park which is the town at the eastern entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. I don't know if the park itself is open because we have had some snow recently. It should be beautiful, though. There's also the drive up Poudre Canyon. Fort Collins, which is west of Greeley, has some breweries and a nice little downtown area. Denver has all the activities most cities have. A lot of people like to go to LoDo (lower downtown) which was fairly recently redeveloped and has lots of bars and restaurants.

Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Snow hikes and such. Compared to the rest of the year, it's basically empty in the winter months. Very peaceful, front row parking, no one stepping on your heels. If you like snow hiking and no tourist traps, the south entrance near Meeker is free this time of year.

Mountain drives, definitely do it.

Soaring with Mile High Gliding at Boulder airport. If you are lucky the wave will be working.

Matt Michael

Greeley? Tour the pig and cattle farms, sniff the wonderful smells emanating from said farms. There is a nice airport in Greeley, KGXY, but I'll second or third the soaring clubs at Boulder or Meadow Lake and a tour or Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. Weather changes quickly in the Mountains so be prepared. You can rent snow shoes in Estes Park and take a hike.

Are you flying GA?

Parks is open on both sides but Trail Ridge has been closed for awhile. It is much quieter in the winter.

New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins has a great tour and tasting room. Home of Fat Tire beer. Interesting company. You actually get a fat tire bike after 1 year.

There good museums in Denver. New Art wing just opened. Natural History is worth a visit. Butterfly Pavilion in Broomfield. Good performing arts center, not sure what's on right now.

Go to the airport restaurant at Greeley if it's still open. Fly out to Fort Morgan and take a look at the abandoned railroad town of Keota (what's left of it).

Back