ME ATP to SE ATP

swanberg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Swanberg
There were three of us having a discussion the other day. We all have our ME ATP's and typed in several aircraft. Eventually there will be a necessity in our careers to have a SE ATP. We are aware of the new requirements for the ATP come August 1st. Our collective question is "will there be any difference in training for us to get the SE add-on after August 1st or should we take the ride before then? Before they split up the writtens and all the other garbage.

Our collective question is "will there be any difference in training for us to get the SE add-on after August 1st or should we take the ride before then? Before they split up the writtens and all the other garbage.

Not really, if you hold an ATP with multi engine land privileges no written exam is required for a single-engine add on.

Not really, if you hold an ATP with multi engine land privileges no written exam is required for a single-engine add on.
Not only that, but if you get an ATP-SE before you have to take the new split test, you won't have to worry about 61.156 and the CTP business, either -- practical test only to add an ME rating to an existing ATP-ASEL/S. Further, if you take the current ATP written before August 1, 2014, you'll avoid all that, too, as long as you take an ATP practical test before that written test expires at the end of the 24th calendar month. So, if you take the current ATP written in July 2014, you'll be good to take the ATP practical test for SE or ME or both as long as you get one of them done before the end of July 2016.

If you hold a me ATP, to get the ATP ses rating you have to fly at an advanced level for the check ride.

If you hold a me ATP, to get the ATP ses rating you have to fly at an advanced level for the check ride.
You have to fly at the same level on an ATP-ASES additional rating ride as you did on your original ATP ride in a twin -- no more, no less.

Not only that, but if you get an ATP-SE before you have to take the new split test, you won't have to worry about 61.156 and the CTP business, either -- practical test only to add an ME rating to an existing ATP-ASEL/S. Further, if you take the current ATP written before August 1, 2014, you'll avoid all that, too, as long as you take an ATP practical test before that written test expires at the end of the 24th calendar month. So, if you take the current ATP written in July 2014, you'll be good to take the ATP practical test for SE or ME or both as long as you get one of them done before the end of July 2016.

that's my plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You have to fly at the same level on an ATP-ASES additional rating ride as you did on your original ATP ride in a twin -- no more, no less.

That's basically what I meant to say. Did a course thinking the regular 6 hrs would do it. My bad. Will I have to take the new written if I don't get the new rating by July 2014?

This is one of the few cases where the FAA states what is not required. Jason is correct: no written exam is required for the add-on SE to the ATP.

So, I am confused. What will be required for me to add the SE to my ATP, both now and a year from now?

don't most guys just do their multi ATP? granted they want to be airline pilots, there is really no point for an ATP SE for them?

I got my SE add on to fly the Pilatus. The regs don't require it, but the boss does.

Will I have to take the new written if I don't get the new rating by July 2014?
That depends on when you took the ATP written. You'll have 24 calendar months from that date to complete an ATP-Airplane practical test, after which any additional ATP ratings will be practical test only. So, if you take the current ATP written in July 2014 (without doing the 61.156 CTP stuff), you'll have until the end of July 2016 to take an ATP-Airplane category practical test (any class) and be done with it. If you don't take the current written by July 31, 2014, you will not be able to take the ATP-AME written without doing the 61.156 CTP. The only ATP written you could take after that date without the CTP would be the ATP-ASE written, and that would only be good for ATP-ASEL/S -- you'd then need to do the CTP and the ATP-AME written before adding the AMEL/S class.

And assuming I get my ME ATP by June 2016, what will I have to do to get my SE ATP in 2017?
Assuming you took the current non-class-specific ATP written before August 1, 2014, all you would need do is to take an ATP-ASEL/S additional rating practical test. However, if didn't take the ATP written until after July 31, 2014, and you had taken only the ATP-ME written, I guess you'd need to do the ATP-SE written before the SE practical test -- it's not clear in the rules I've read.

don't most guys just do their multi ATP?
Yes. However, on the day I took my ATP in a twin, I had my Cheetah there, and for an extra $150, the examiner went up for a couple of approaches in the Cheetah and I had an ATP-ASMEL, not just ATP-AMEL with Commercial privileges for ASEL.

Why? Because I felt like it.

I did it the other way. On the day for my Multi-ATP check ride, the aircraft was taken on a charter. I called the inspector to cancel, he asked if I could get a single engine. Took a short oral & check ride. A few weeks later, took my multi ride. No oral & .5 ride.

That was my question too.:confused:
Okay, here is my reason. The way I look at it, I should have another 30 years left in me before it is time to do other things. With the VLJ concepts there are and will be in the future people designing single engine jets. Those that wish to offset costs may want to put those aircraft on an operating certificate. Look at the Eclipse, there are several operators using them. It will be a matter of time when some operators will be approached to manage a SE VLJ. Maybe not within the next 5 years but by the time retirement is at my door, I am sure of it. Those of us that have the rating may have that extra feather in our cap when the chips are down.

Okay, here is my reason. The way I look at it, I should have another 30 years left in me before it is time to do other things. With the VLJ concepts there are and will be in the future people designing single engine jets. Those that wish to offset costs may want to put those aircraft on an operating certificate. Look at the Eclipse, there are several operators using them. It will be a matter of time when some operators will be approached to manage a SE VLJ. Maybe not within the next 5 years but by the time retirement is at my door, I am sure of it. Those of us that have the rating may have that extra feather in our cap when the chips are down.

Not bad thinking, but if you already have a ATP/ME then when you do your type ride in the SE VLJ add the ATP/SE then since it's the same ride.

FWIW.

That's a good point. I may take the ATP-SE first, and then get the -ME add-on when I do a type rating.

That's a good point. I may take the ATP-SE first, and then get the -ME add-on when I do a type rating.
Just make sure you get the written done before August 1, 2014, and complete the ATP-SE within 24 calendar months thereafter, or you'll have to do the 61.156 CTP business and take the not-yet-released ATP-ME written as part of your ME add-on/type rating training.

Yep that's the plan... Written in July, and then the practical for SE or ME (depending on if I have a need to be typed) within the next 24 months.

Back