New ATP requirements

aghoras

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gman
Hello All,
I've looked over the new requirement for the ATP rating effective July 31, 2014 but I'm still confused.

If I want to get my ATP Multi under the old rules, do I have to take my practical exam by July 31 or just the written? If I take the written before July 31, does that lock me in for 24 months under the old ATP requirements?

Thanks

Pretty sure you're going to need to complete the practical by the 31.

Take and pass the written before July 31; the results will be good for 24 months.

Bob Gardner

But do I have to meet the new requirements when it's time to the take the practical (i.e graduation from approved course, jet simulator time, etc)?

Can someone post the 'old' requirements? Everything I find on the internet appears to be the new requirements.

Trying to figure out if it is even worth taking the test before July.

Can someone post the 'old' requirements? Everything I find on the internet appears to be the new requirements.

The new pre-requisite to take the ATP knowledge exam, FAR 61.156, did not exist prior to July 2015 2013.

Trying to figure out if it is even worth taking the test before July.

Yes, it is.

Last edited:
Yes, it is.

But if I take the written now, what are requirements (ie time) that need to be met to take the check ride within 24 months?

There is no way I'm going to make it to 1500 TT within the next two years.

But if I take the written now, what are requirements (ie time) that need to be met to take the check ride within 24 months?

See 61.159, 1500 TT. If you can't make that within 2 years of July 2014, then you will likely have to take the ATP CTP prior to the knowledge test.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/

61.156 applies only to those applying to take the knowledge ("written") test after July 31, 2014. Until August 1, 2014, the "old rules" apply, i.e., for all intents and purposes, 61.156 doesn't exist and can be ignored. Further, the new requirements only apply to taking the written, not the practical test, so if you take and pass the written before August 1, 2014, you can still use that written to get your ATP for 24 calendar months (i.e., up through July 31, 2016).

Note also that on August 1, 2014, the ATP written (currently one test for all ATP-Airplane ratings) will be split into separate SE/ME versions, and if you take the test on or after that date, you'll need the ME version to get your ATP-ME rating. However, even after July 31, 2014, you'll still be able to take the new ATP-SE written and get your ATP-SE without going meeting the 61.156 requirements (which apply only to taking the not-yet-effective ATP-ME written).

One other point -- it appears from the regulations that if you have an ATP-SE-only pilot certificate on July 31, 2014 (based on having taken the current non-class-specific ATP-Airplane written), you would not have to take the ATP-ME written that comes into existence on August 1, 2014 (and thus will not have to meet the 61.156 requirements) no matter how long you wait to add the ME rating. So, if those new 61.156 rules will be a problem for you, and you can get your ATP in a single now (even a 172 will do), you might want to get on that bandwagon before the end of July.

References: 61.153(e), 61.156.

Just what it says in 61.159 -- basically, 1500 TT unless you meet the 61.160 ATP-R requirements (which I suspect will in most cases fill the 61.156 squares).

Then unless you qualify for the ATP-R at the 1250- or 1000-hour mark, you're going to have to fill the 61.156 CTP squares.

Thanks Ron. That's the best and most clear answer I have seen so far.

Back