Showing off kills you

Teaching abstinence to pilots is as useful as teaching it to teenagers. Make safe buzzjobs a part of the private pilot PTS and lives would be saved.

Missed the timing lights on the drag strip? Co pilot survived,maybe we can get some answers.

Do statutory rape laws stop teenagers from having illegal consensual sex? You want to follow rules or save lives? Besides buzzins legal in the boonies.

Well, that's a purdy little bank angle for low level horsing around.

23m24r5.png

I can't see how the copilot survived, much less with minor injuries??

Hit on the pilots side and there was little 'impact', the deceleration was reasonably shallow angle and low rate. This is a great lesson in how to crash if you actually have to.

Hit on the pilots side and there was little 'impact', the deceleration was reasonably shallow angle and low rate. This is a great lesson in how to crash if you actually have to.

Sad...he didn't have to.

From the Baa report....

Crew was returning to its base following an ambulance flight from Reykjavik. On final approach, pilots were instructed by ATC to make a go around and to follow a holding circuit in the west of the airport due to a Fokker ready to depart. Few minutes later, while attempting a second approach, crew completed a left turn to align with runway when it stalled. Left wing hit the ground and the aircraft crashed in flames in a field located 4.4 km northwest of the airport. All three occupants were seriously injured and evacuated to a local hospital. Few hours later, a pilot and the doctor died from their injuries.

No mention of the "low pass"....:confused::confused:......:redface:

From the Baa report....

Crew was returning to its base following an ambulance flight from Reykjavik. On final approach, pilots were instructed by ATC to make a go around and to follow a holding circuit in the west of the airport due to a Fokker ready to depart. Few minutes later, while attempting a second approach, crew completed a left turn to align with runway when it stalled. Left wing hit the ground and the aircraft crashed in flames in a field located 4.4 km northwest of the airport. All three occupants were seriously injured and evacuated to a local hospital. Few hours later, a pilot and the doctor died from their injuries.

Maybe they weren't so much showing off as they were trying to circle/turn toward the runway with very low ceiling? Hard to tell from the video where the airport/ runway is in relation to the drag strip.

From the Baa report....

Or the fact that the gear was up and it also looked like the flaps were up?

From the Baa report....

The piece posted on you tube seems to make more sense that they asked for a low pass. They were clean, descending, and turning over a local spectator event. Had all the ear marks of a "buzz job". Too many pilots afraid to pull a few Gs.

that looks photoshopped.

:)

I drew a red line on a screenshot from the OP's video (rear camera view on approach) to enhance the fuzzy wingspan.

Does that count as photoshopped? :wink2:

I drew a red line on a screenshot from the OP's video (rear camera view on approach) to enhance the fuzzy wingspan.

that's absolutely what I meant! :lol:

Actually... The red line existed during the low pass as it was caused by the heat during re-entry to earths atmosphere...:idea:......:nonod:

Last edited:

Wait, what is the lesson I'm supposed to get? Absorb the impact with the wing on the opposite side of the plane from you, and only kill the occupants on that side?

Wait, what is the lesson I'm supposed to get? Absorb the impact with the wing on the opposite side of the plane from you, and only kill the occupants on that side?

Make your angle of impact as shallow as possible and your energy will dissipated slow enough for survivability. Had they gone in upright they would have likely all survived unless as I suspect the medic was squatting between the seats unrestrained looking out the window.

Judging from the photo the fuselage is more intact than I would have imagined it to be from the video. Huge fireball but the fuse dosent look burned that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make your angle of impact as shallow as possible and your energy will dissipated slow enough for survivability. Had they gone in upright they would have likely all survived unless as I suspect the medic was squatting between the seats unrestrained looking out the window.

Had they been upright with the lift vector pointing away from the ground rather than nearly parallel to the ground, it would have been an entirely different situation and quite possibly wouldn't have even been a crash.

Had they been upright with the lift vector pointing away from the ground rather than nearly parallel to the ground, it would have been an entirely different situation and quite possibly wouldn't have even been a crash.

Oh, very true, I wasn't saying this was a good buzz demo, it was a fail for that, he needed to be pulling harder. My point was that if you are going in with no power (obviously these guys were making high power and showing off at the drag strip) this shows what makes crashes survivable.

Had they stayed up where they were supposed to be, it would have been an entirely different situation.

Look at where this guy comes from and where he goes -- he apparently wanted to fly down the strip.

What's Islenska for "Watch THIS!" . . ?

Most of the energy was dissipated by the left wing folding, then the right wing going over the top and then into the ground. The engines, props and wings (with fuel tanks) are a large part of the plane's mass, and once they were gone, the fuselage tobogganed until it stopped.

All three aboard survived the actual crash, the pilot and medic died at the hospital.

Most of the energy was dissipated by the left wing folding, then the right wing going over the top and then into the ground. The engines, props and wings (with fuel tanks) are a large part of the plane's mass, and once they were gone, the fuselage tobogganed until it stopped.

All three aboard survived the actual crash, the pilot and medic died at the hospital.

That is even harder to believe....

Back