Dialect Quiz

Crashed every time I tried it so I guess I will never know where I am from.

On the map, the program locked up trying to compute it. guess I've lived in too many areas.

Maybe it was the iPad.

They missed by about 50 miles. Seen a bunch of those before and I've always thought it a laugh to start using words from other places(calling a hero a grinder will always be stupid)

It figured I was from Fesno, Modesto or Boise...

Neither of which are anywhere near Saskatchewan...now i need to find my bunny hug to go into town and get some perogies and Pil.

Spot on...but anyone that answers po-boy or neutral ground for anything's gonna be from the big easy.

Placed me from the Lubbock,Tx. area .. Not bad , but I'm a hayseed from Northeast Texas(Daingerfield).

Freaky! :yes:

Nailed the city I was born and raised in. :eek:

That is amazing!

Last edited:
When I was in the Navy I made a hobby out of listening to the accent of people and guessing where they were from. I use to be able to guess within the state where they lived. Its an art form! Okay, we didn't have phones or internet back then and I was bored. :lol:

Named the city I was born in........ bubbler nailed it and spell check shows bubbler misspelled. :D

National TV networks have been the great leveler of speech in the USA.
I remember my first trip down South with my dad in the 50's, I couldn't half understand what people were saying and the waitresses all called me honey (and I didn't even know them) And one insisted I have the grits (nasty stuff) with my morning eggs.

Anyway, the program kept color flashing me hither and yon across the USA as we went through the questions. In the end it picked 3 northeast cities, one of which was Detroit (born there but moved to the thumb of Michigan when I was about 4 years old)
Impressive given that I am university educated to the PhD level which has a strong tendency to erase colloquial speech patterns

More impressive was a speech pattern expert at a seminar I attended. He sat down at our dinner table and began having a conversation with us. He said just talk with me and I'll tell you where you are from. He had no way of knowing who I am or where I am from. The other 3 people at the table he nailed within a minute or so. I had him a bit puzzled and he finally picked a town about 30 miles from where I consider home to be (thumb of Michigan). He said he knew I was from the Thumb, but the town kept moving as I talked - we moved 4 times before I was 18. I was very impressed with his skill. This happened 25 years ago.
He said that national TV network shows were making his job more and more difficult and he felt that within another generation the ability to identify any closer than to a state or group of states would be the best they would be able to do.

guess where I'm from:

canvas.png

Born in Ann Arbor, now live in Grand Rapids, with a stint in the UP.

My three cities were Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Minneapolis/St. Paul - although I do use a few terms here and there that aren't Midwestern.

It guessed me as Las Vegas and a couple cities down the hill in CA. Average them out from each other distance wise and it actually comes really close, surprisingly.

it nailed me in Alabama. Y'all have a good day.

It pegged me as being from either Sacramento, Van Nuys or Oakland.

Pegged me in Dallas/Ft. Worth area which is spot on. Pegged my wife in Jackson, ms which she grew up in columbus, ms.

Not even close, listed Witchita, Jackson, and Omaha.

I must be verbally challenged. Most think I am from KY because of my accent. No idea where that comes from.

Chicago here. Spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I took it a second time....much closer...still brought up Montgomery Alabama because of one answer...intersting survey for sure!

Was spot on for my wife - Chicago - where she learned her English (if you want to call it that) and lived for 12+ years
Figured Orlando for me - which just shows y'all how adaptable my speech patterns are, considering I learned the language in UK and spent 10+ years in Chicago :D

Cincinnati Ohio,

Gym shoes seems to be a Cincinnati and Chicago thing

That was wild....it was an exact match for me. Even though I've lived and gone to school all over the country, it pinpointed me in Tempe/Chandler/Mesa AZ. Spent the first 18 years of my life in Tempe.

I got three: Jackson MS, Minneapolis/St. Paul MN and Tallahassee FL.

My mom grew up in Alabama, but move to central FL in Jr. High. My dad was born in Winter Park Fl, but his parents were from New York & Pennsylvania.

I have lived in central Florida my whole life.

I have been most often questioned on being british based on word use but really have no particular accent (as far as folks have told me).

John

Not even close, listed Witchita, Jackson, and Omaha.

I must be verbally challenged. Most think I am from KY because of my accent. No idea where that comes from.

Larry The Cable guy is from Nebraska. The accent is part of his act. It is weird to hear him talking normal. :lol:

Closest guess to me was 400 mi away.

Might have gotten closer if they had asked if I was planning/fixing to have leftover turkey and dressing/stuffing for dinner/supper tonight.

Way, way wrong with me. It said Salt Lake City, Minneapolis and Des Moines. I've never lived in any of those places. I'm sure I have varying linguistic influences having lived on both coasts and in the middle so I probably confused it.

New England, sweet New England.

Speech class in college, professor was a linguist. She could nail most of the students where they were from down to the boroughs of major cities. All in New England.

I had her stumped.

I grew up an AF Brat, lived in a few places before college and never picked up that Maine twang during high school.

Closest city was 800 miles away, though my actual home was still in the dark-red area.

Ron Wanttaja

Speech class in college, professor was a linguist. She could nail most of the students where they were from down to the boroughs of major cities. All in New England.

I had her stumped.

I grew up an AF Brat, lived in a few places before college and never picked up that Maine twang during high school.
No one ever guesses I was born and raised in New Jersey after they hear me speak.

Navy brat who went into the Navy, so my accent adapts to the locale. But the survey nailed me, Brew Thru was my downfall (in many ways). :D

Put me in Fresno, Phoenix, and Tucson. All wrong. And weakly disfavored all the places I did live. Go figure.

Pretty close for me. Madison, Detroit, or Grand Rapids. I guess "devil's night" is pretty distinctive... ;)

Back