Flight Instructor Refresher Course recommendations?

Sluggo63

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Sluggo63
Coming up on my 24 months in August, and was looking to do an eFIRC. Any recommendations between AOPA, Gleim, or American Flyers?

This is my first time for the refresher. I'd appreciate any suggestions/pros or cons that anyone might have.

I use Gleim, even when I've signed off enough trainees to renew without a FIRC. High quality package, including a lot of material you can print out (or keep on a tablet or the like) as reference material. Also fills he TSA recurrent SAT square.

I used American Flyers last time but recently saw a video advertisement for AOPA's new eFIRC which looked pretty good. (Will probably try that next time.)

I use Gleim, even when I've signed off enough trainees to renew without a FIRC. High quality package, including a lot of material you can print out (or keep on a tablet or the like) as reference material. Also fills he TSA recurrent SAT square.

What he said.

American Flyers - pay ONCE and renew FOREVER. If you want a PhD then go get one If you want to get your ticket renewed go to American Flyers.

I signed up for American Flyer a couple of renewals ago. Works great!

I've printed all of the modules and keep a binder, great reference.

Maybe my next renewal I'll add another instructor level.

I tried the King FIRC this year, because I wanted one that worked on my iPad and doesn't have a minimum time per module.

The material wasn't dry at all (I've heard people say the AF stuff is pretty dry) so i'll probably use it again in 2 years. Plus I like to support a family/company that has been very supportive of the industry.

Back in 2000 I paid AF $100 for lifetime renewals. 2014 will be my 8th renewal using their program. Over the years the AF programs has improved quite a bit. It's still not as fancy as some of the other programs out there, but it gets the job done. Amortized out over 8 renewals, my cost is now at $12.50. AF has upped the cost a bit, but it's still one of the best bargains out there.

Back