BMW *sigh*

:confused::confused::confused: I thought y'all walked 12 miles to school in 4' of snow and 20° below barefoot, uphill... both ways.:confused:

Been there, done that, except I was also carrying my three brothers and one sister.

Cheers

:confused::confused::confused: I thought y'all walked 12 miles to school in 4' of snow and 20° below barefoot, uphill... both ways.:confused:

Just a mile or so in high school. Oftentimes in snow. And it was uphill both ways. My kids thought I was nuts until they went to college on that hill and realized that dad wasn't quite so full of it. :D

Could be worse ...

090613_127.JPG

Oh, I would so go on that tour. In the early '90s, I was in the Czech republic and the Trabi was still really common there at that time. I looked everywhere to find somebody that would rent me one. Couldn't be found. I could have bought one, drove it and then sell it for half what I paid and it still would have been cheaper than a traditional rental. I like stupid adventures like that, but my wife would have none of it and I was timid about dealing with all the legalities.

Love the commercial! Wonder what airport that was? I particularly like the part where they come tearing down off the dirt road and onto the highway but have the left turn signal on... you know, to be safe.:lol:

Oh, I would so go on that tour. In the early '90s, I was in the Czech republic and the Trabi was still really common there at that time. I looked everywhere to find somebody that would rent me one. Couldn't be found. I could have bought one, drove it and then sell it for half what I paid and it still would have been cheaper than a traditional rental. I like stupid adventures like that, but my wife would have none of it and I was timid about dealing with all the legalities.

Love the commercial! Wonder what airport that was? I particularly like the part where they come tearing down off the dirt road and onto the highway but have the left turn signal on... you know, to be safe.:lol:

Back in the late 70s/early 80s you could have traded 3 or 4 pairs of Levis for one.:rofl:

Even a Trabi looks like a high quality car compared to a Reliant Robin.

My POS 23 year old red Jetta with failing clear coat turns heads. All the Germans I saw in Palmdale were talking about it. They actually used terms like "classic." I just about fell out of my seat.

Even a Trabi looks like a high quality car compared to a Reliant Robin.

My POS 23 year old red Jetta with failing clear coat turns heads. All the Germans I saw in Palmdale were talking about it. They actually used terms like "classic." I just about fell out of my seat.

Dude!! That is the precise time you should slap a for sale sign on it! :mad2:;)

Just a mile or so in high school. Oftentimes in snow. And it was uphill both ways. My kids thought I was nuts until they went to college on that hill and realized that dad wasn't quite so full of it. :D

I was bit more upscale and modern than that, We got to push the bus up the hill.

Brian

I was in Germany earlier this week and Hurtz gave me an Altra. Barely made 130 KM/h on the A-routes. Then they tried to claim I didn't fill the car with gas before returning and exclaimed about the receipt showing a town about 10 KM away. A step up from a Trabi, but not nearly as good as the BMWs, MB, and Audis I usually get from another well-known rental company.

I was in Germany earlier this week and Hurtz gave me an Altra. Barely made 130 KM/h on the A-routes. Then they tried to claim I didn't fill the car with gas before returning and exclaimed about the receipt showing a town about 10 KM away. A step up from a Trabi, but not nearly as good as the BMWs, MB, and Audis I usually get from another well-known rental company.

Avis will rent you an Enzo for about 5400€ a day.

Our state's lemon law sucks lemons. Gary Drewing, who owns the vast majority of the dealerships in our area, broke out the statute for me when I asked for a new car after taking my new Mustang in to his repair shop for a problem that just wouldn't go away. The gist of our law is that it's the dealer's choice as to whether they refund your money or give you another vehicle of comparable value. Mr. Drewing told me "...and you won't like the vehicle of comparable value you'd get".

I can't help but compare this to one of my customers telling me why he always bought cars from the same dealer. It seems that his first new car was a Chevy Impala that had a bunch of problems. He was sitting down to dinner when the dealer called asking him to bring in the title to the car the next day, and have his wife pick a different car. He was floored. Bought 20 more cars over 40 + years and had us do most of the service.

The list is for 3 year old cars, I don't think Fiat was available in 2010 in the USA, or maybe the numbers were too small to make the survey. ;)
What does it mean that Fiat did not make that list? None left? :)
I don't know about the new ones, but the old US models were terrible, they would rust out at the car wash! But that didn't matter, cause they didn't run long. :lol:

The list is for 3 year old cars, I don't think Fiat was available in 2010 in the USA, or maybe the numbers were too small to make the survey. ;)
I don't know about the new ones, but the old US models were terrible, they would rust out at the car wash! But that didn't matter, cause they didn't run long. :lol:

Man, I had some great Fiats over the years, Spyders and Ralleys. The 128 Rally was one of my favorite 'bee-bombs', out ran a lot of things.

If you get to Berlin, try this. http://www.trabisafari.de/en/trabi_rent

I saw them the last time I was there but was not tempted. :hairraise:

Cheers

Sweet. I would like to go to Berlin someday and if I do, I will have one of those the whole time I'm in the city. Guess it depends on the time of year, but sedan, wagon, or convertible?? Which to choose?

I think it was someone here (Bill?) who told me to start driving the Mercedes. The week before last I drove it daily as we had snow to contend with. It gets the most use during our "winter" here... and bike season, although 2013 was a year I just didn't get out on the bike much...

Speaking of Fiats...

...on our way home from the Sentimental Journey to Lock Haven (a Cub Fly-In) in our Sky Arrow, we had decent weather until right before getting home - lots of clouds and storms over the mountains we had to cross to get back to Copperhill, TN.

Landing at Knoxville seemed prudent - we just had to figure out a way to get home.

In any case TAC Air has a Fiat 500 for $25/day, so we drove home - still proceeding in something Italian, at least!

11591334645_74bc2994f5_c.jpg

No idea about the dependability, and the ergonomics were a bit weird, but it was a hoot in the twisties across the mountains. Had a pretty well thought out paddle shifter that made it feel almost like a manual.

As an aside, we shot this on the way home - I think driving was a wise choice!

9134819163_2bc3ba6f7e_z.jpg

My Mama had a Fiat, a 124 Spider. It was a hoot, great fun, handled, pretty quick (a pre-smog 1600), but its problems were: 1. Electrical, 2. Electrical, 3. It ate a valve (!), 4. Electrical. Unbelievable issues with electrolytic corrosion on connectors, essentially all predictable and preventable with the most basic of engineering and design.

All that said, it was otherwise a grand buggy, very tight, and had the best-engineered convertible top ever- two latches and one sweep of the arm, without ever leaving the driver seat, to put the top down. Just as easy, up.

I'd drive one again, and the prices of decent used ones suggest I ain't the only one!

An ad for the 500 was on TV just as I was reading your post. Funny!

Speaking of Fiats...

...on our way home from the Sentimental Journey to Lock Haven (a Cub Fly-In) in our Sky Arrow, we had decent weather until right before getting home - lots of clouds and storms over the mountains we had to cross to get back to Copperhill, TN.

Landing at Knoxville seemed prudent - we just had to figure out a way to get home.

In any case TAC Air has a Fiat 500 for $25/day, so we drove home - still proceeding in something Italian, at least!

11591334645_74bc2994f5_c.jpg

No idea about the dependability, and the ergonomics were a bit weird, but it was a hoot in the twisties across the mountains. Had a pretty well thought out paddle shifter that made it feel almost like a manual.

As an aside, we shot this on the way home - I think driving was a wise choice!

9134819163_2bc3ba6f7e_z.jpg

I'm late to this party, but ...
We were driving my wife's 2011 BMW across the state the other day when her "low oil light" came on. (Somehow I lost track and we were way overdue for an oil change). We pulled off at the next exit and found that there was a BMW dealership about 400 yards off the expressway. We pulled in and were immediately greeted and they asked what they could do for us. 10 minutes later, they said to have a nice day. They added the oil and checked other fluid levels and air pressure. No Charge. They were also having an end of year sale on accessories so my wife got the BMW travel mug and the BMW windshield sunshield at half price.

I'm late to this party, but ...
We were driving my wife's 2011 BMW across the state the other day when her "low oil light" came on. (Somehow I lost track and we were way overdue for an oil change). We pulled off at the next exit and found that there was a BMW dealership about 400 yards off the expressway. We pulled in and were immediately greeted and they asked what they could do for us. 10 minutes later, they said to have a nice day. They added the oil and checked other fluid levels and air pressure. No Charge. They were also having an end of year sale on accessories so my wife got the BMW travel mug and the BMW windshield sunshield at half price.

Historically, you could allways tell a BMW by its smell of burnt oil. Something about not installing a dedicated oil-control ring.

Back