Google Now

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Anyone use this?

I just discovered it last night, through a Facebook friend who is a *very* frequent traveler - he must travel 50% or more for work. I constantly see airport check ins from him. He's in AMS right now, for instance.

At any rate, from what I can tell, it harnesses Google's spying powers to assist you. If you get a mobile boarding pass, for instance, it will track your flights for you, send you updates on the flights, and when you land will send your handset all sorts of information such as a map to get to your hotel, taxi service info, restaurants, weather, and so on and so on.

I added it to my phone but haven't used it yet. I am back in Italy again shortly so soon I will know...

If you use it, what do you think?

It does more than just the above, from what I can tell.

Burn your zombie phone. Nothing good comes from it.:rofl:

I like it. Combines your email, location, with your search history and some seed questions. I see when packages ship, traffic changes, etc. They scour all of that for advertisers - might as well get some personal benefit.

Anyone use this?

I just discovered it last night, through a Facebook friend who is a *very* frequent traveler - he must travel 50% or more for work. I constantly see airport check ins from him. He's in AMS right now, for instance.

At any rate, from what I can tell, it harnesses Google's spying powers to assist you. If you get a mobile boarding pass, for instance, it will track your flights for you, send you updates on the flights, and when you land will send your handset all sorts of information such as a map to get to your hotel, taxi service info, restaurants, weather, and so on and so on.

I added it to my phone but haven't used it yet. I am back in Italy again shortly so soon I will know...

If you use it, what do you think?

It does more than just the above, from what I can tell.

http://www.google.com/landing/now/#whatisit

Even if I didn't already hate Google, their description of this service would be enough to sufficiently creep me out that I would avoid it.

Google's going to "learn how to help manage [my] day" by organizing it "into simple cards that appear just when they’re needed," huh? Like Google doesn't already know enough about my life, so I'm going to give them permission to drill even deeper so they can organize it into "cards." You know, just in case there's some obscure detail about my day-to-day existence that Google hasn't yet managed to sell to the highest bidder.

It makes me wonder whether the sarcastic post I made here was closer to the truth than I thought.

Enjoy Italy!

-Rich

Rich saw a headline about a bunch of tech companies supposedly against NSA spying(after they all built back doors and handed over the keys) I don't believe they are sincere they are in the same business but it is interesting that they must be worried about people realizing they can live without their evil wares. Imagine the internet goes the way of CB radio... Never happen to much attention whoring to be had, but maybe it will end up being a circle of attention whores, everyone else will be outside riding a bicycle...

My concern with Google and I guess the Internet in general is they know and track almost everything we do. And what is the reason??.................Wait for it............................For OUR benefit!!:mad2:
I was in an advertising meeting yesterday and the agency reps were explaining how using "cookies" they can serve up the proper ads to the folks looking at cars. So, if you look at a Chevy dealer's website today, you will find a ton of ads on your web browsing related to cars, from all different manufacturers, dealers, finance companies, car locator services, etc. That is how big brother is helping us. :mad2:

Personally, I don't want to give the big G any more information than they already have. There's a reason I don't log-in when I search, and there's a reason that I make very, very limited use of their email.

I don't trust them.

Beth, our mutual friend has a much different viewpoint than I do. We both know of each other's views. I have great respect for him, but we have a big difference of opinion on this one topic. My opinion is that the superficial benefits of G's services do not make up for the risks inherent in their massive data collection. The fact that certain government agencies can access any of that data through various means gives me less comfort.

That's even more true when you consider my employment situation & the risks of travel to certain places. And the experience I gained in prior employment situations.

I recognize that there is a big demographic difference in how folks think of privacy. I guess I'm of the group that is suspicious of how the data might be used - I'd rather think for myself than have someone do it for me.

It's a very personal decision as to whether you share your life details with them or not. I personally try to limit, you may or may not see it the way I do. Whichever you choose, remember that the giant Google carnivore will never forget whatever information you share. There is no taking it back.

(I might have a different level of comfort if I could see exactly what information they have collected on me, how they mine it, how they sell it, and allow me to delete info. And perhaps pay me as I don't believe the economic equation is in our favor. We don't get to do that. Heck, you have more rights dealing with a credit bureau than with an online service... yet some online services can do far more damage to you than a credit bureau).

YMMV and other disclaimers apply.

Last edited:
I use it a little bit. One of the more convenient features is that it keeps up traffic info for my commute, so in the morning and around quitting time it starts providing commute time info based on real-time traffic without having to look it up.

I use it a little bit. One of the more convenient features is that it keeps up traffic info for my commute, so in the morning and around quitting time it starts providing commute time info based on real-time traffic without having to look it up.

I use the state of colorado's real-time website for that info. I keep the page up on the tablet in the car and the computer at work before I leave. And the local radio stations are very good about it.

I use the state of colorado's real-time website for that info. I keep the page up on the tablet in the car and the computer at work before I leave. And the local radio stations are very good about it.

My county (I think) provides a weather alert service. I know I get text messages about serious wx conditions. Exactly where they come from, I know not. Usually they summarize NWS information and include a link to the page.

As for traffic, Sirius works well, and without the spying aspect. I just set it to the traffic channel for where I'm headed while I'm on the way.

-Rich

I use it, and find it very useful. I understand the "spying"part of it, but honestly if anyone is spying on my activities they are going to be very bored. It really doesn't bother me. It's not like a person is sitting there reading your emails or activities anyways. It's just an automated system looking for keywords.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I am trying to de-google due to their data mining. However I refuse to use Apple, which leaves me with not much choice on the phone market.

I am trying to de-google due to their data mining. However I refuse to use Apple, which leaves me with not much choice on the phone market.

Windows! They have a great ethics track record.

Dayrunner and an answering machine. Hellooo 1992 why'd you ever have to leave us?

Jolla is shipping now.

Personally, I don't want to give the big G any more information than they already have. There's a reason I don't log-in when I search, and there's a reason that I make very, very limited use of their email.

I don't trust them.

Beth, our mutual friend has a much different viewpoint than I do. We both know of each other's views. I have great respect for him, but we have a big difference of opinion on this one topic. My opinion is that the superficial benefits of G's services do not make up for the risks inherent in their massive data collection. The fact that certain government agencies can access any of that data through various means gives me less comfort.

That's even more true when you consider my employment situation & the risks of travel to certain places. And the experience I gained in prior employment situations.

I recognize that there is a big demographic difference in how folks think of privacy. I guess I'm of the group that is suspicious of how the data might be used - I'd rather think for myself than have someone do it for me.

It's a very personal decision as to whether you share your life details with them or not. I personally try to limit, you may or may not see it the way I do. Whichever you choose, remember that the giant Google carnivore will never forget whatever information you share. There is no taking it back.

(I might have a different level of comfort if I could see exactly what information they have collected on me, how they mine it, how they sell it, and allow me to delete info. And perhaps pay me as I don't believe the economic equation is in our favor. We don't get to do that. Heck, you have more rights dealing with a credit bureau than with an online service... yet some online services can do far more damage to you than a credit bureau).

YMMV and other disclaimers apply.

Why do you believe the data isn't already collected?:confused: If you book you tickets online, the data is collected, if you check your email on the plane or at the airport when you land, the data is collected. If you use a GPS/mapping program to find you way, the data is collected. The only difference here is that they give you some benefit from the data they collect.

Google now makes business trips so much easier. When i wake up, it tells me the weather at my destination. It tells me when to leave the house to get to the airport on time and then when I land it automatically navigates to my hotel or wherever my first meeting is depending on which comes first.

When I am not traveling, it also tells me when I need to leave for an off site meeting to get there on time.

If you have a package being delivered it will track it and tell you when it will arrive. If you have a meeting with a properly formed conference bridge, it will allow you to dial with one click (888-555-1212,,,123456#).

If you search for a store and then do something else, you will get a card with the directions which allows you to navigate without having to search again.

Google Now is the best thing ever developed. Anyone that isn't in conspiracy theory mode about "big brother Google" can really benefit from it. It's like a real personal assistant but without the bitchiness or salary.

It told me this morning that my drive to "Work" would be 8 minutes with no traffic. Unfortuantly, it thinks I work at the airport. I don't know how it got that idea?

It told me this morning that my drive to "Work" would be 8 minutes with no traffic. Unfortuantly, it thinks I work at the airport. I don't know how it got that idea?

If you don't set "home" and "work" it picks the two most common destinations for you. Now that Latitude is gone, I don't know how to set those addresses....probably through google+ or something now.

Well done! LOL.

Sounds like Google wanted the revenue stream TripIt was after. I say was since this will probably kill TripIt.

If you don't set "home" and "work" it picks the two most common destinations for you. Now that Latitude is gone, I don't know how to set those addresses....probably through google+ or something now.

Yeah, since Latitude is gone I haven't figured out how to stalk my family either. I know it does it, but I also know it is a lot more complicated than before.

Google now makes business trips so much easier. When i wake up, it tells me the weather at my destination. It tells me when to leave the house to get to the airport on time and then when I land it automatically navigates to my hotel or wherever my first meeting is depending on which comes first.

When I am not traveling, it also tells me when I need to leave for an off site meeting to get there on time.

If you have a package being delivered it will track it and tell you when it will arrive. If you have a meeting with a properly formed conference bridge, it will allow you to dial with one click (888-555-1212,,,123456#).

If you search for a store and then do something else, you will get a card with the directions which allows you to navigate without having to search again.

Google Now is the best thing ever developed. Anyone that isn't in conspiracy theory mode about "big brother Google" can really benefit from it. It's like a real personal assistant but without the bitchiness or salary.

Silly me. I always thought that honor would go to something like the polio vaccine. :rolleyes:

-Rich

My concern with Google and I guess the Internet in general is they know and track almost everything we do. And what is the reason??.................Wait for it............................For OUR benefit!!:mad2:
I was in an advertising meeting yesterday and the agency reps were explaining how using "cookies" they can serve up the proper ads to the folks looking at cars. So, if you look at a Chevy dealer's website today, you will find a ton of ads on your web browsing related to cars, from all different manufacturers, dealers, finance companies, car locator services, etc. That is how big brother is helping us. :mad2:

Always ignore the ads, just look at the rest of the screen. When I do Google searches and get Sponsored Ads trying to sell the city whose airport I'm looking for, I click on it several times so that ebay/amazon can pay for the privilege of being stupid . . . Just like I overstuff postage-paid credit card application envelopes instead of filling up my trash can with the rest of the day's junkmail.

Yeah, since Latitude is gone I haven't figured out how to stalk my family either. I know it does it, but I also know it is a lot more complicated than before.

I use the "Find My Friends" app. Works as advertised.

Down at the bottom right-hand corner there's a magic wand button. Press that, then Places and you can edit your saved locations.

It's funny how some people trust companies that collect data and don't tell you MORE than companies that collect your data and tell you. Google tells you, shares with you, allows you stealth mode, and greatly benefits users.

For example:
AT&T and Verizon both know exactly where you are and where you've been. Ever gotten any info from them? Have they told you? They will, however, sell that info to ANY law enforcement agency without telling you they sold it or a warrant. All they need is a request and a small amount of money and its handed over. So they don't share with you, the user, but they will gladly sell to the government YOUR data.

But google is what 'creeps you out'. Interesting. Don't feel bad, millions are backward in their thinking too. I just find it strange.

Last edited:
Btw, IRT the OP,

I love Google Now. Use it all the time. The Moto X is my current phone and it was made for google now. It's seamless and the voice recognition is near flawless. The cards give me very relevant information and I can't remember the last one I swiped away out of non-interest.

Do the cards just randomly show up, or do you need to do something to bring them up on your screen? I can't remember if I enabled push notifications, is that the key?

It's funny how some people trust companies that collect data and don't tell you MORE than companies that collect your data and tell you. Google tells you, shares with you, allows you stealth mode, and greatly benefits users.

For example:
AT&T and Verizon both know exactly where you are and where you've been. Ever gotten any info from them? Have they told you? They will, however, sell that info to ANY law enforcement agency without telling you they sold it or a warrant. All they need is a request and a small amount of money and its handed over. So they don't share with you, the user, but they will gladly sell to the government YOUR data.

But google is what 'creeps you out'. Interesting. Don't feel bad, millions are backward in their thinking too. I just find it strange.

You're basically describing the difference between a floozy and a whore. A floozy may be a bit loose in the self-restraint department, but she actually has a life outside of putting out. A whore, however, is a whore.

-Rich

Do the cards just randomly show up, or do you need to do something to bring them up on your screen? I can't remember if I enabled push notifications, is that the key?

On most handsets a swipe from bottom up brings up the cards. Scroll to the bottom and press the magic wand and/or hamburger button (three vertical squares) to change settings and select content for your cards.

For example:

Sell? I don't think so. The government can order them to provide, and they must provide. Even if it doesn't rise to the level of a warrant (or NSL), most of the phone providers have signed civil agreements that require them to provide the data.

Sometimes cost-recovery is permitted, sometimes it's for free, but the phone companies don't profit from providing the data to Uncle.

Another perspective is this: the phone companies and individual service providers (airlines, stores, hotels, other 'loyalty' programs) each generally track one or two elements of your actions. Google (and a couple of other big data providers) wants EVERY aspect of your actions. It builds a dossier that would be the wet dream of a totalitarian government or a Nixonian administration.

I find it strange that folks are so trusting of a corporation that wants to know everything about you, yet gives you no opportunity to see all of what they've collected. ANd all that data can be accessed by the government with few barriers.

Conspiracy? No. Creepy? No. Just a desire to maintain some control of my life and the information related thereto. There is huge risk if said corporation acts unethically in the name of "profit" - or to stifle innovation. Some of us have been victims of identity theft or incorrect data in databases (such as credit bureaus). Some of us remember Nixon & the Cold War, some of us have parents that fought in WWII against countries that collected and abused personal data. To say "it can't happen again" or "the companys will keep it safe" is to be an ostrich. Can't even perform "trust but verify".

YMMV.

Sell? I don't think so. The government can order them to provide, and they must provide. Even if it doesn't rise to the level of a warrant (or NSL), most of the phone providers have signed civil agreements that require them to provide the data.

Sometimes cost-recovery is permitted, sometimes it's for free, but the phone companies don't profit from providing the data to Uncle.

Another perspective is this: the phone companies and individual service providers (airlines, stores, hotels, other 'loyalty' programs) each generally track one or two elements of your actions. Google (and a couple of other big data providers) wants EVERY aspect of your actions. It builds a dossier that would be the wet dream of a totalitarian government or a Nixonian administration.

I find it strange that folks are so trusting of a corporation that wants to know everything about you, yet gives you no opportunity to see all of what they've collected. ANd all that data can be accessed by the government with few barriers.

Conspiracy? No. Creepy? No. Just a desire to maintain some control of my life and the information related thereto. There is huge risk if said corporation acts unethically in the name of "profit" - or to stifle innovation. Some of us have been victims of identity theft or incorrect data in databases (such as credit bureaus). Some of us remember Nixon & the Cold War, some of us have parents that fought in WWII against countries that collected and abused personal data. To say "it can't happen again" or "the companys will keep it safe" is to be an ostrich. Can't even perform "trust but verify".

YMMV.

Google allows you to see what data it collects from you.

YMMV.

Utter horsecrap. I've worked in and around big telecoms my whole career.

They make a tidy profit on data center "cross-connect fees" and all sorts of other "costs" they pass on to Uncle when allowing Uncle to *connect* to GET the data. They're required to provide it. The law doesn't say how fast or via what method, and that's on PURPOSE.

It's designed to allow them to charge "full non-discounted" pricing so Uncle doesn't have to wait 30 days to receive a smudged fax or letter with the requested data.

Stuff like, "Oh, only our Union engineers can possibly ever figure out how to run that fiber cable across the room for you, Uncle... They're experts! We'll also need you to pay for all their background checks not just yours, we do our own 'extensive' checks in-house of course, for your safety." and, "The only ingress/egress at that facility that meets your security requirements is ours and it's really full. We'd give you a discount but you're lowering our customer capacity by asking for such a large feed."

They make a bloody fortune. You're clueless if you think they don't and it's really just "covering costs".

And the other one, "If you're going to contest this bill we will have to shut the circuit down per our legal department until the matter is settled. If the circuit is reclaimed for other purposes during that timeframe we will have to charge you for the construction costs of dropping in new facilities to that location and we can't guarantee any particular timeframe. Our crews are busy building things for our customers."

Telecom has Uncle by the balls on this. It's well-known in the industry.

On the flip side, telecoms must play ball. They made an example of Global Crossing years ago by threatening that since GC is a "foreign" company they might get "extra government scrutiny" if they didn't. GC is as much a "foreign company" as a cruise liner flagged in a non-U.S. Port. (Sound like any IRS scandals you've heard of? This is worse. Since it's related to 'National Security' there can be no outrage of any abuses of power. Since both sides abuse equally the game goes on...)

Their office in the Bahamas is literally a closet on the first floor of a nondescript office building with a company logo on the door. No one ever enters or leaves. I've got photos if you like. A former GC co-worker made a side-trip to find it one day on vacation. We all got a good laugh that Corporate HQ was a janitor's closet. Seemed like a good place to lock up the execs after two bankruptcies.

I never click on the paid search ads, I just ignore them and look down and click on what was looking for to start with. :D But, I do like your idea. :D

Always ignore the ads, just look at the rest of the screen. When I do Google searches and get Sponsored Ads trying to sell the city whose airport I'm looking for, I click on it several times so that ebay/amazon can pay for the privilege of being stupid . . . Just like I overstuff postage-paid credit card application envelopes instead of filling up my trash can with the rest of the day's junkmail.

Well, of course it's not for our benefit. Companies are just trying to do what they do- make more money. In this case they're targeting their advertising more. This is all done in relatively anonymous systems running in the background where you're just a number most likely with no name attached.

No, nobody like it but what actual harm has been done? They just see you looked at Chevys so they'll try to sell you a new truck. Big deal.

I'm far more concerned about the NSA and what they're doing. They do care who you are and who you're talking to and the government has the power to arrest, harass, imprison, and theoretically shoot you. The current administration probably won't act improperly with this power, the next one probably won't either.... but someday down the line someone almost certainly will and that's the scary thing.

Back