Petit Jean maybe? open to other ideas

03k64Flyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Songbird Inari
Hello all, this was suggested to me for inviting those of you I met at Gastons in Bull Shoals and more I hope can come if this idea flys. Petit Jean Airport which is near the actual state park and 45 minutes (give or take) from where I live. It could be done as a day trip or a weekend gig. And it was further suggested to be done in the fall when its not so hot out. I know the park fairly well, excellent for camping, cabins, hikes and the like. I will post more info on this idea later but I want to hear everyones thought on this first. I would really like for this to happen. :)

the airport is actually part of the park. And there is a campground on the airport that you can only use if you fly in. It's right on their small fishing lake. It's a neat spot!

Hello all, this was suggested to me for inviting those of you I met at Gastons in Bull Shoals and more I hope can come if this idea flys. Petit Jean Airport which is near the actual state park and 45 minutes (give or take) from where I live. It could be done as a day trip or a weekend gig. And it was further suggested to be done in the fall when its not so hot out. I know the park fairly well, excellent for camping, cabins, hikes and the like. I will post more info on this idea later but I want to hear everyones thought on this first. I would really like for this to happen. :)

Wash is my copilot

the airport is actually part of the park. And there is a campground on the airport that you can only use if you fly in. It's right on their small fishing lake. It's a neat spot!

Even better! I wonder how close it is to mather lodge. Hmm. Something to consider?

The Cessna 170 club used to have a big fly-in there every year. Not sure if they are still doing it or not. It's a nice area - raised tent camping pads with pea-gravel, lots of fire rings, a nice enclosed bath house (his and hers separate).

The ONLY downside to it is that you have to go around the lake to get to the actual state park. If you have someone local that can snag some wheels to shuttle people, it's not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.

It's a really pretty area, though. I have a picture somewhere of the top of a 170 as it flew below the bluff we were standing on.

The Cessna 170 club used to have a big fly-in there every year. Not sure if they are still doing it or not. It's a nice area - raised tent camping pads with pea-gravel, lots of fire rings, a nice enclosed bath house (his and hers separate).

The ONLY downside to it is that you have to go around the lake to get to the actual state park. If you have someone local that can snag some wheels to shuttle people, it's not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.

It's a really pretty area, though. I have a picture somewhere of the top of a 170 as it flew below the bluff we were standing on.

I can probably come up with something as I do live in Arkansas. :)

Even better! I wonder how close it is to mather lodge. Hmm. Something to consider?

By road 5 miles...the way the crow flies not nearly that far...probably 2.

As Mr. Jones said. The key is having wheels.

Another option is staying at Winrock on the Rockefeller Estate. That place is cool beans too.

By road 5 miles...the way the crow flies not nearly that far...probably 2.

As Mr. Jones said. The key is having wheels.

Another option is staying at Winrock on the Rockefeller Estate. That place is cool beans too.

You'll have to show me where that is.

This is on my list of places I've wanted to visit. The need for some wheels to get to the restaurant at Mather Lodge has been my hold-up. If I had two folding bikes...

I'm certainly interested.

This is on my list of places I've wanted to visit. The need for some wheels to get to the restaurant at Mather Lodge has been my hold-up. If I had two folding bikes...

I'm certainly interested.

Well, I guess I better start digging around to see what we have, hell maybe the park has something. You never know! :D

Looks like I maybe needing to drive up instead of flying, dear?

Well, we do live in arkansas and we definately don't live that far from petit jean. If it were someplace like devils den or gastons again it would make more sense to fly.

From the look of it, this rig might actually fly. September was my thought of when it would be. Opinions please? I'm trying to be mindful of everyone schedule

Late Sept or Oct would certainly be cooler. I can't commit to anything September onward, though. That's when the baby is due and I bet I have to stop flying for a while as I enter the world of the sleep-deprived.

Late Sept or Oct would certainly be cooler. I can't commit to anything September onward, though. That's when the baby is due and I bet I have to stop flying for a while as I enter the world of the sleep-deprived.

Oh wow. Then if I'm going to have any chance its going to have to be late sept early oct

Another thought that occurred to me was we do a camp out cook out. Everyone can bring something made or something that can be made there. Obviously bring your choice of drinks as appropriate. :p Depending on what we have available at the site. Steve volunteered to go with me to check out the site. Opinions?

Sounds like a good excuse for Gumbo

What's your style? Chicken? Sausage? Shrimp? Combo?

Yes.

An prefer to keep the heat level to just under one alarm. Then have the hot sauces out as condiments for folks who go for two alarm to nuclear to fusion reaction hot.

Yes.

An prefer to keep the heat level to just under one alarm. Then have the hot sauces out as condiments for folks who go for two alarm to nuclear to fusion reaction hot.

So, sriacha, panloa vampfire, and what else? Lol

I remember growing with the sausauge and shrimp. My mom would throw in rice to make it go further

Ok. This idea is going to wait til next year to get off the ground. Because I haven't really had time to work on it and I dislike half doing things. So its open for suggestions on where to go at petit jean for our camp site and etc. I really would love lots of input because this aint all about one person. Please leave me something to go on to make this fly in work.

Ok, here's the projected date for Petit Jean Fly In 2014: first weekend of October. Which is the 3-5 and its a weekend. Plenty of opportunity to chill out, fly, fiddle around and get some good laughs. Any input for this is welcome.

Would May 2014 be an additional possibility?

That's a possible for me.

There's a big RV fly-in held at Petit Jean every year in the late fall. This past one was Oct 25-27th, previous ones have been held on the first weekend of November but there's desire to try holding them maybe a week or two earlier to avoid too cold weather. I've been to the past two fly-ins there. We had somewhere around 80 RVs show up for this past one. This pic taken Saturday shows 60 RVs on the ramp at one time, with a handful of spamcans parked to the north of the ramp.

img_2013_10_27_185112_02-74187571.jpg

Back