New car, need new license plate frame

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Got a new car last week so I need to update the license plate frame.

Attached is a picture of the old one that I put onto the new car until I find a replacement. The old one is a little weather beaten and just does not look right on the new vehicle. I want to stick with an aviation themed one. Anyone have suggestions and/or source to get the new frame?

BTW car is a 2014 BMW 328d with X-drive.

Attachments

• 1379694_10201170402317486_910724443_n.jpg
    1379694_10201170402317486_910724443_n.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 256
How about one that says "$400 for an oil change...yikes":wink2:

Just kidding...nice ride!

Thanks a lot for busting out "I drive an old car so I can fly an old airplane bubble"

[insert jealous smiley]

Or "Please God, don't let this thing break after the warranty expires" :rofl:

Or "__ days since last tow to the dealer"

A friend of mine test drove a new x5 a few years ago and it died and wouldn't start again during the test drive....kinda blew that sale.

Last edited:
Top: I bought this
Bottom: For your mom.

Plate: PIMPIN

LOL... sorry... the aviation stuff is boring. :)

My BMW hasn't given me a moment's trouble. My Mercedes, on the other hand, still costs me 2000 a year and I barely drive it. Snow, or biking, that's what I kept it for and still shell out maintenance $$.

My BMW hasn't given me a moment's trouble. My Mercedes, on the other hand, still costs me 2000 a year and I barely drive it. Snow, or biking, that's what I kept it for and still shell out maintenance $$.

I've seen both be good or bad, depends on the luck of the one you purchased. Our '06 MB E320 turbo-diesel is still running like a champ at 140k. The only non-scheduled repairs have been a thermostat and water pump. I've never reset the trip odo from new, that car has averaged 30MPG over it's lifetime! Not bad for a solid fast 3900# car.

Beth, German cars, more than others it seems, need to be driven daily. If they sit, they will eat your wallet.

Scott, you will love the diesel.

Just kidding...nice ride!

I had the dealer do the MX during the warranty period, and yes, a basic oil change was $350. After the warranty expired, I got on the web, bought a few basic tools, and do the MX myself. I can do the service in 1-2hrs depending on what is due at the time with $80-100 in parts and fluids. This puts anywhere from $270 to $650 per service in my wallet vs dealer prices.

Yes, I know, a lot of folks don't want to do their own service, but for me it's hard to pass up being "paid" $270-315/hr to work on my car. :D

I've seen both be good or bad, depends on the luck of the one you purchased. Our '06 MB E320 turbo-diesel is still running like a champ at 140k. The only non-scheduled repairs have been a thermostat and water pump. I've never reset the trip odo from new, that car has averaged 30MPG over it's lifetime! Not bad for a solid fast 3900# car.

Beth, German cars, more than others it seems, need to be driven daily. If they sit, they will eat your wallet.

Scott, you will love the diesel.

Yeah, you're probably right. I do well with driving it once or twice every other week for a time, and then that slides... maybe I will do that this weekend.

One of my favorite forms of PC for a stop. If you're in GA make sure it does not cover the expiration date or the county.

My car is sufficiently special that I doubt anyone is looking at the license plate beyond the occasional LEO.

I have.... no license plate frames, and the most non-descript plates I can obtain.

It's funny, we use a nice chrome tag frame and I'd say 50-75% of our customers leave them on for years. :D Maybe 5% ask for the dealer decal to be removed, but I'm an incredibly nice guy, so maybe that explains it! :D
Me too. My last new car, the first thing I did was toss the dealer sticker and license plate frame in the garbage.
This one was on eBay for $59.00, I don't think it sold!:rofl:

Last edited:
It's funny, we use a nice chrome tag frame and I'd say 50-75% of our customers leave them on for years. :D Maybe 5% ask for the dealer decal to be removed, but I'm an incredibly nice guy, so maybe that explains it! :D

This one was on eBay for $59.00, I don't think it sold!:rofl:

That is nice looking. I have only been given the black plastic ones.

One of my favorite forms of PC for a stop. If you're in GA make sure it does not cover the expiration date or the county.

No problem with that here. No County on our plates nor stickers. :) Month and year stickers, colorized so even if they're partially covered the cops can tell easily if they're valid. (Partially covered would never hold up in Court here. Not even if the cop was color-blind. That's his or her problem. Fully covered would be a problem.

Kinda like Fisher-Price pre-school toys. Bright colors to keep the kiddies entertained and interested. LOL.

You should have bought it back! :D

I've still got a couple thousand of them! I was amazed the guy was selling it, he had tons of them listed from different dealerships. I don't know if he actually sold any or not.:dunno:

I purposefully don't put my renewal stickers on. I think the newest one on my Vette is 2009. I may have put one on my truck this year, I don't recall. The stickers ride around with me in my glove box. I've been pulled over solely for that before, and when asked about it, said they were in the glove box. He asked why I didn't put them on. "Just to be a pain," was my response. Everything is on computer now, there's no need to waste money on printing out these stupid stickers. Run the plate, the computer should show if it's up to date or not. I did put them on when he asked me to. But I still continue not to. Go ahead, pull me over.

I also have never put my yearly state aviation sticker on any of the planes I own, even though I'm "required" to. Again, stupid. Run the N-number, it should tell you in the database if I've paid the yearly registration or not.

I purposefully don't put my renewal stickers on. I think the newest one on my Vette is 2009. I may have put one on my truck this year, I don't recall. The stickers ride around with me in my glove box. I've been pulled over solely for that before, and when asked about it, said they were in the glove box. He asked why I didn't put them on. "Just to be a pain," was my response. Everything is on computer now, there's no need to waste money on printing out these stupid stickers. Run the plate, the computer should show if it's up to date or not. I did put them on when he asked me to. But I still continue not to. Go ahead, pull me over.

I also have never put my yearly state aviation sticker on any of the planes I own, even though I'm "required" to. Again, stupid. Run the N-number, it should tell you in the database if I've paid the yearly registration or not.

So you like being pulled over by cops? Got a cop fetish? Why on earth would you want to do something that increases your likelihood of being pulled over?

:confused:

So you like being pulled over by cops? Got a cop fetish? Why on earth would you want to do something that increases your likelihood of being pulled over?

:confused:

It keeps them from pulling someone else over and ticketing them for speeding. Don't like your dip in revenue? Don't pull over people for stupid things.

It keeps them from pulling someone else over and ticketing them for speeding. Don't like your dip in revenue? Don't pull over people for stupid things.

Real stupid when those stupid things lead to drug arrests, wanted persons (uni bomber, dalmer), you know, people you may not want to have living next to you or teaching your children.

You are not alone in your feelings towards these types of stops. I know several officer that think tag lights, tag covers, mud flaps, flag or light from anything protruding 4 ft from truck bed. So occasionally I'd get to explain and remind them how some of the most notorious criminals were caught.

I purposefully don't put my renewal stickers on.

I put the stickers on, my rant is why we have to carry printed registration in the vehicle. Bad guy steals your car, now has your address, and knows you can't get back home because, duh, he has your car.

Brilliant! :mad2:

With the advent of computers we don't need printed registrations, and I don't carry them.

Real stupid when those stupid things lead to drug arrests, wanted persons (uni bomber, dalmer), you know, people you may not want to have living next to you or teaching your children.

Then don't pull ME over. I've never even smoked pot. Go pull someone else over. ;)

I put the stickers on, my rant is why we have to carry printed registration in the vehicle. Bad guy steals your car, now has your address, and knows you can't get back home because, duh, he has your car.

Brilliant! :mad2:

With the advent of computers we don't need printed registrations, and I don't carry them.

I keep my registration and insurance card in my pocket for that reason. The only thing in my car is an ice scraper.

I just got done driving a 5 series BMW diesel around Denmark, I really liked the car, especially the diesel with fuel at $11 a gallon. For the license plate frame, hummm, how about, "Bavarian Luftwaffe"?

Then don't pull ME over. I've never even smoked pot. Go pull someone else over. ;)

Cops sometimes need a reason to pull someone over. Something called "probable cause". And they have used it to take down some pretty unpleasant *******s, like Timothy McVeigh who was pulled over for not having plates which is quite a trivial and annoying requirement to you I am sure. He murdered 168 people. So I for one don't give a d*mn about your feelings and the fact that you sometimes get pulled over and "dont like it". Boo hoo!

I'm not a saint either. But I don't cry if I get pulled over, and don't attract attention to myself either.

I just got done driving a 5 series BMW diesel around Denmark, I really liked the car, especially the diesel with fuel at $11 a gallon. For the license plate frame, hummm, how about, "Bavarian Luftwaffe"?

Good way to get your car keyed :rolleyes:

Oil changes for my BMW cost about $17. That's for the oil and filter. I do the labor. Once each year.

OTOH, it is a ten-year-old motorcycle. :wink2:

Cops sometimes need a reason to pull someone over. Something called "probable cause". And they have used it to take down some pretty unpleasant *******s, like Timothy McVeigh who was pulled over for not having plates which is quite a trivial and annoying requirement to you I am sure. He murdered 168 people. So I for one don't give a d*mn about your feelings and the fact that you sometimes get pulled over and "dont like it". Boo hoo!

I'm not a saint either. But I don't cry if I get pulled over, and don't attract attention to myself either.

If you're relying on license plate renewals to catch serial killers, perhaps the system is broken.

Back