I thought....

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
That a bag of potatoes could be stored pretty much forever.....Boy..was I wrong.

yea you were, i can smell it from here!

When I was a kid, we once went on a trip for about a month. Back in our appartment we had a fridge just to store meat, it was the holidays and we had lots of pork, beef, and whatnot stored in it. When we got back, we could smell it before we opened the door. The Fridge's compressor gave out and for weeks all the meat decomposed.

Took weeks for the smell to go away...

I didn't know they went bad. I knew roots grew out of them.

SkyHog said:
I didn't know they went bad. I knew roots grew out of them.
Imagine....a bag of potatoes...in a closet...covered in empty 12 pack's of pop....And you go to throw these away...To discover.....A bag that is hardly thick anymore...With a black oozing liquid all over the place.

I considered moving...But finally busted out the pinesol and the issue is no more....But...

Another lesson learned.

Yeah--I had liquefied potatoes once, too...it was pretty gross.

You need to store them out of plastic. A cool, dark, well-aired closet, with potatoes in a basket with wood shavings, would be ideal for semi-long term storage.

I bought 50lbs of potatos from the farmer next door to me and kept them all winter long when I lived in England. Just cut the roots off of them. But once it turned into spring they lasted about 3 more weeks. YUCK!

All I want to know is, WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET SOME SPINACH AGAIN, THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

Madre del dios -- no produce lasts forever!!!! Didn't you do the potato planting thing as a kid???

In college my roommate dropped a banana behind his desk. I don't know how he, a) did it, and b) didn't realize it, but after about a month of fruit flies, and a fumigation, the bugs disappeared. We rearranged the furniture a few months later and discovered the King Tut of bananas under his desk. Finally figured out why we had a fruit fly infestation.....

jangell said:
That a bag of potatoes could be stored pretty much forever.....Boy..was I wrong.
When life hands you potatoes, make potatoe mash.:goofy: :goofy: Invite your friends.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Wow, mail me a sack would you?
Oh, got any Tomato Bacon dressing?!
Yummmmm, sounds good. By the time the sack I mailed you (by Pony Express) to Texas, it will have expired and might have germs. I sure have enjoyed having lightly steamed spinach again. Nothing like it!

Why not make potato nut bread or potato cake, just like you do with black bananas!?:p

Just think of the flavorful possibilities--not.

Jim

smigaldi said:
Ah bachelor living, kinda of like bears with furniture. ;-)

who said anything about furniture? :)

If you store them in a bin in a dark cool root cellar they almost last forever. But then almost nobody has an honest to goodness root cellar any more.

tonycondon said:
who said anything about furniture? :)

C'mon Tony, couches are required equipment. Preferably multiple ones that are obtained from the side of the road during moving week. :D

We used to "launch" furniture off the upper rear balcony of our house when we replaced it. Crunch! :goofy:

true. the one you slept one was had from the airport. they had some furniture they had been storing in a hangar that needed moved, i needed a couch.

tonycondon said:
true. the one you slept one was had from the airport. they had some furniture they had been storing in a hangar that needed moved, i needed a couch.

LOL... That's awesome. No wonder it was so comfy. It was an AIRPORT couch! :yes:

Back