Most beautiful place to learn flying?

flyingfox

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingfox
I was just curious as to where do you think is the most beautiful place to learn flying? If you could choose your flight school, where would you want it to be?

I think somewhere western United States. Southern California maybe. Close to oceans and mountains inland. Great variety of stuff to see.

I think somewhere western United States. Southern California maybe. Close to oceans and mountains inland. Great variety of stuff to see.

Norcal gets my vote. FYI Japan Airlines used to run their training center at Napa County Airport (KAPC). Every element was covered - water, terrain, fog, IMC, Bravo airspace, winds, etc....

I've enjoyed my training over the Charleston coast

Norcal gets my vote. FYI Japan Airlines used to run their training center at Napa County Airport (KAPC). Every element was covered - water, terrain, fog, IMC, Bravo airspace, winds, etc....

+1, if you get far enough inland (maybe a little more than Napa), you get very reliable weather most of the year. We have the ocean, the mountains and the valley.:yes:

Alaska hands down for me. When people say pictures (which are spectacular) don't do it justice, they aren't lying.

John

I know I'll get the "snickers" because of saying Jersey, but we have some awesome views here as well as some of the most challenging airspace to learn in. The different seasons.. ok..so the water sucks.. and it may smell a bit but…

It sounds like this thread should be titled: "Where did you learn to fly?"

Nebraska. :rolleyes:

The most beautiful thing to see when training is a place to land if the engine quits! :yes: The whole state is a runway except for a few cows and tractors. :rofl:

;)

I'm also going to vote for NorCal, but I learned to fly in the Bay Area so I'm biased. I think anywhere along the west coast would be nice. From what I've seen, the area around Seattle is beautiful too. I like the mountains/ocean combination.

The western part of Colorado is beautiful, but the eastern part, where you are more likely to learn to fly, isn't so much so.

I learned in Colorado Springs, that was pretty nice.

Okay so we know where the "most beautiful places to learn to fly" are but how about the best places to learn to fly? I would think that would be of more importance to the OP.

I'm also going to vote for NorCal, but I learned to fly in the Bay Area so I'm biased. I think anywhere along the west coast would be nice. From what I've seen, the area around Seattle is beautiful too. I like the mountains/ocean combination.

The western part of Colorado is beautiful, but the eastern part, where you are more likely to learn to fly, isn't so much so.

You need to fly to Juneau. ;)

Okay so we know where the "most beautiful places to learn to fly" are but how about the best places to learn to fly? I would think that would be of more importance to the OP.

In that case I have not enjoyed flying at the Charleston coast. Wx has been horrible. As has been stated humidity can be rough and it can be extremely bumpy.

For primary training, some place with light winds and nice weather. Maybe Santa Rosa or Napa., Concord, King City. Denver or CO Springs add in the high altitude. The CA coast is nice but the summer marine layer sucks for primary training. Florida has lots of VFR days, but the summer thunderstorms and armpit heat half the year are rather limiting.

For other types of training, something with some challenges. East coast weather makes more sense for IR in summer.

It sounds like this thread should be titled: "Where did you learn to fly?"

Something like that :).

I learned to fly on MD's Eastern Shore, right next to the DC SFRA airspace mess. An incredibly beautiful place to fly, right over the Chesapeake Bay and all its creeks.

I learned on LI, which is very pretty on those two days a year without humidity and haze. Of all the places I've flown I'd have to go with Tahoe area.

Something like that :).

I learned to fly on MD's Eastern Shore, right next to the DC SFRA airspace mess. An incredibly beautiful place to fly, right over the Chesapeake Bay and all its creeks.

Went to Tangier recently. That's a hell of a daytrip.

I learned to fly in Colorado. The view of the Rockies off to the west of the field is pretty majestic. The winter mornings are just incredible. I went on to get my tailwheel endorsement and also do some float plane training in Alaska and it was absolutely awe inspiring. I would rank those two places as pretty high up on the list. One last beautiful place I took a lesson was around the islands in Hawaii. I rented a 172 and an instructor out of Maui and it was incredible.

Carl

Probably Hawaii, but Northern California would be pretty nice. I learned in central Virginia...it was fine but hardly the most beautiful place in the world to fly.

I'll also add Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Nebraska. :rolleyes:

The most beautiful thing to see when training is a place to land if the engine quits! :yes: The whole state is a runway except for a few cows and tractors. :rofl:

;)

Don't forget the 21 kazillion acres of 7 foot tall corn stalks...:hairraise::eek:

I also learned in central Florida. West-central, Tampa area. The view is fantastic at the beach. Summers are deathly hot and many afternoons are ruined by storms.

This time of year is fantastic, though.

JAL also trained at Grant County airport in Moses Lake, WA....before APC.

Bob Gardner

I agree with mary lands eastern shore. Thousands acres to land in if things go south, great views either of the Chesapeake bay or the ocean. I was lucky enough to fly a Stearman all around that area for quite a time when I lived there. One airport I flew into often was Summitt in Middletown del. it was and still is a CIA contractor. At that time , during Iran contra, things were going on there that were beyond belief! Tangier, ocean city, great times. Once got a tour, by the pilot, of Leona helmsleys 727 which was based at georgetown del. for tax evasion purposes. White with big American flag on tail. Bar in rear with seat for body guard at "Cooper door" stairs, nice lounge area, then big bedroom, shower, chairs, wardrobe. Then pilots compartment. She was the one who did time for tax evasion and earlier claimed " only little people paid taxes". ( it turns out she was probably right!)

Last edited:
I did not learn in Florida, but I have flown a number of times out of KSRQ. Absolutely gorgeous area to fly, and the sky is so damned smooth anyone should be able to finish their training without much difficulty....it won't make you a "good stick" by any means, but it will certainly get you there quickly and beautifully.

Wyoming and Colorado are great. The novelty of flying over S Florida beaches wears off quickly.

San Juan islands in Washington. Friday Harbor or Orcas Island airport.

Thanks for all the replies. My OP was about what you guys thought was the most beautiful place to learn to fly, not where did you learn. :yes:

In any case, great diversity. I am in a position where I can almost choose where to learn, I am a foreign student and will take few months off my schedule and go over the US to get my license.

I also understand the the most beautiful places or not necessarily the best places for other reasons, right? like Juneau or Seattle for their weather aren't the best places, how do people do to learn over there? just takes time I suppose.

It also depends on how much time you're going to spend, and the time of year. Winter? Desert southwest. Summer? California coast (you can dodge the marine layer, but it does mean no early morning flights), or western Great Plains.

If you're doing the accelerated thing, pretty is a distraction and should be avoided. What you want is predictable VFR weather and lack of excessive winds. If you're going to actually have free time, having other stuff to do might be important (this places you in or near a city).

Pretty scenery is something you really don't want to be looking at on approach to landing.

Probably Hawaii, but Northern California would be pretty nice. I learned in central Virginia...it was fine but hardly the most beautiful place in the world to fly.

I'll also add Bahamas and the Caribbean.
Absolutely. Hawaii first. Northern California and Central Virginia are OK. I've never flown int the Bahamas, but assume they would come in nearly as good as Hawaii.

Southern California, hands down

Beautiful scenery, great weather, challenging air space

High density altitude and desert ops close by. Great place to learn IFR too. Many approaches within a short flight and don't forget fog.

Hawaii hands down the most beautiful place with an active GA community.

The Pacific Northwest isn't quite as beautiful, but is probably a much better place to learn to be a pilot, since they have such varied terrain and micro-climates.

ETA: I learned to fly at Bird's Nest Airport, Manor Texas.

Back