Solo xc

1342usmc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
1342usmc
Hi POA, first post here.
I know that in order for the solo xc to count the leg has to be at least 50nm. So my question is does that leg have to be from airport to airport or can it be from a VOR to an airport?
Thx in advance for the input

Hi POA, first post here.
I know that in order for the solo xc to count the leg has to be at least 50nm. So my question is does that leg have to be from airport to airport or can it be from a VOR to an airport?
Thx in advance for the input
Assuming you mean for the private pilot rating.
From Part 61.109:

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations;
So unless you are taking off at a VOR it is pretty clear that they mean from airport to airport for most flights as that is where they tend to start and stop.

Ok, got that part knocked out but I'm short on cross country hours and thought that you couldn't count cross county time towards a certificate unless it was more than 50nm.

We got burned and had to redo the 150 mile cross country. We had 3 landings at 3 airports, but the straight line between airports was only 148 miles. We figured no problem and added a vor co-located at a 4th airport to navigate to enroute (but did not land at the 4th airport). DPE refused to accept it.

Yes, airport to airport as I understand it is the definition of cross country.

Last edited:
We got burned and had to redo the 150 mile cross country. We had 3 landings at 3 airports, but the straight line between airports was only 148 miles. We figured no problem and added a vor co-located at a 4th airport to navigate to enroute (but did not land at the 4th airport). DPE refused to accept it.

That is amazingly stupid. :mad2:

Redo it because you were 2 miles short? :mad2:

The regs state a nice round number like "50" and the examiner can't make the connection because the trip was 2 miles short on a 150 mile trip? That is a perfect example as to what is wrong with this country. Give someone a little authority and a little power and they can't think and reason any more.

Last edited:

The regs state a nice round number like "50" and the examiner can't make the connection because the trip was 2 miles short on a 150 mile trip? That is a perfect example as to what is wrong with this country. Give someone a little authority and a little power and they can't think and reason any more.

The standard is 150NM and you think it is ok to lower it to 148NM. So is then 147NM not acceptable? The old analogy is how many hairs make up a mustache. If the standard for the XC is 150NM then not making that distance is NOT meeting the standard. Why is that so hard to understand?

Just think of how many more first downs Nebraska would have if they thought that nine yards was "close enough".

Darn football referees...give them a little authority and they can't think and reason anymore.

150 is 150...not 148. 10 is 10. Not 9.

;)

Mike

Give someone a little authority and a little power and they can't think and reason any more.

Isn't "thinking" of a sort (i.e., discretion) what you're complaining about in another thread? Hey that flight looks suspicious. Let's write down the tail number and try to contact the pilot.

Unelected officials are denied much discretion for a reason. It's this "rule of law" thing. It goes both ways.

Wait- if your total for each leg was less than 150nm then it makes sense given the following (from http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.3.1.4 ):

§61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—
(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;
(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—
(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and
(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.
(3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;
(4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and
(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least—
(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;
(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and
(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

(emphasis added)

if the various legs added up to 149nm- Your CFI who signed off on your XC plan choked....

I am in the process of planning my long XC for this weekend and will do FRG--> ALB-->SWF--->FRG for a total of 254nm. If the straight line distance between airports had to be 150- I would have a terrible time avoiding Class B airspace/airports or long periods over water to get to a towered field...

on your long cross country only 1 leg has to be at least 50 nautical miles the rest of your 100 nm can be at 5 more airports equaling 100 nm but one part needs to be at least 50

Ok, got that part knocked out but I'm short on cross country hours and thought that you couldn't count cross county time towards a certificate unless it was more than 50nm.
To count it for Private/Instrument/Commercial in Airplanes, it need only include a landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure.

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under § 61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B ) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
For PP-Airplane, no single leg has to be any minimum length other than on the one long solo XC as discussed above:
(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations

Last edited:
The regs state a nice round number like "50" and the examiner can't make the connection because the trip was 2 miles short on a 150 mile trip?
That is correct. It's a hard floor, just like an MDA on an instrument approach.

Thx Cap'n Ron that answered my question.

Back