What would you do?

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
My handheld ICOM A-23 is missing. How would you handle this?

Facts:

I put it on the right seat while I performed my pre-flight inspection. Per my SOPs, I put stuff like my handheld, cell phone, plane keys, on the right seat until I'm ready for start up.

When I climbed into the cockpit I moved those items to their respective places in the cockpit. The handheld and cell phone go to the rear seat within easy reach.

Upon landing I had the right main blow out. I cleared the rwy and shut down near the fuel island. I opened the door, grabbed my cell phone, and walked a couple hundred feet to a mx shop. I was within sight of the airplane the entire time. I returned to the cockpit to grab a pen and noticed the handheld was sitting on the rear seat.

The A&P came right over to begin work. I coordinated with him that he was to mount a new tire from his shop while I went to Aircraft Spruce will call in the Spruce shuttle from the airport. I was off airport grounds for about :20 minutes. I took only my cell phone and a pen out of the cockpit.

When I returned the A&P was at the plane although he did leave it unattended for a time as he went back to his shop to mount the new tire.

The A&P completed his work and I taxied over to his shop so he could replace the other 2 tires. I was at the shop the entire time although not in sight of the plane.

Getting ready for departure I noticed my handheld was missing.

I looked here I looked there, I looked everywhere, but no radio. On the off chance I just didn't see it in the dark (night time) I didn't say anything to the A&P. Plus, I didn't want to act prematurely.

Early next morning I searched everywhere in the plane. I mean, everywhere. I also searched my truck and back at the house. I knew it had been in the plane but wanted to be sure before I started making accusations.

Suspicions:

All I can think of is one of the aprt bums took it while I went to Spruce. Or the A&P helped himself. If one of the guys took it he did it in full view of other people and had to climb up on the wing of my plane to do it. The A&P could have done it at leisure and with no witnesses.

The next morning I made a surprise visit to the aprt. I told the A&P I have a problem. I didn't accuse him, all I did was say my handheld was missing.

I'm strongly thinking of writing an open letter to the aprt and have it printed in Pacific Flyer. I know they'll print it. I am very confident the ICOM was in the plane when I landed at the aprt and that it was missing before I left the aprt.

I hate thievery with a passion. But pilots stealing from pilots, that's downright dispicable.

Just another incidence that highlights the eroding of values in our liberal based society, just over a year ago, someon stole my flight bag, with my GPS, Handheld, Logbook, and everthing else, from the backseat of my truck, parked at the local airport, in broad daylight.

Really speaks badly of the people that we have attracted to aviation,

I'd suggest that first you put up a LOST postcard/flyer at the airport and give someone a chance to change their mind and give it back, or to turn it in if it was found somewhere.

Back