5 Easy Steps to Landing a Plane

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
For non-pilots. They obviously had someone who's never landed a plane write this one. Just a few highlights:
The altimeter shows the plane's "height above the ground"
The TC shows the plane's bank
You ascend or descend using the yoke, no mention of the throttle
Oh, and when landing at 1ft AGL, you "push the control wheel in" and "push the throttle all the way in" to slow down and slowly touch down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/10367754/How-its-done-Guide-to-landing-a-light-plane.html

I think this might be the worst aviation reporting I've ever seen. I'll let you guys pick apart the rest.

"Altimeter: Shows height above the ground." Nice.

I'm sure the article is a joke.

"Altimeter: Shows height above the ground." Nice.

I'm sure the article is a joke.

Not a joke: it was posted by the Telegraph on the article that showed the video of the non-pilot from England landing the plane.

Not a joke: it was posted by the Telegraph on the article that showed the video of the non-pilot from England landing the plane.

Obviously not by reading the posted instructions, or he would have done a full power face plant on the runway.

I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable reading that.

The Telegraph is a British newspaper. From what I understand, it's not unusual in flights around the pattern etc. in the UK to set the altimeter to QFE, such that it does indeed show height above the ground. Won't help much on a cross-country flight, and definitely not the thing to tell first-time emergency landers, but might explain why they say it.

I'm confused by why they reverse "push" and "pull" for the throttle in the text -- the image is marked correctly...

The Telegraph is a British newspaper. From what I understand, it's not unusual in flights around the pattern etc. in the UK to set the altimeter to QFE, such that it does indeed show height above the ground. Won't help much on a cross-country flight, and definitely not the thing to tell first-time emergency landers, but might explain why they say it.

I'm confused by why they reverse "push" and "pull" for the throttle in the text -- the image is marked correctly...

Well the british drive on the wrong side of the road, maybe the fly on the wrong side of the powercurve?

"Then, when the plane is about 1ft off the ground comes the “hold-off”, the throttle is pushed in and the control wheel is pushed forward – so the plane is flying level and slowly."

Wait.... what?

They probably gave her a QFE altimeter setting rather than a QNH. Not unheard of in some parts of the world and quite useful in these types of situations.

Just remember, brake for left, gas for right.

That "how to fly a 182" page made me laugh so hard. I can't believe its still up with it being so incorrect.

On you just had to, didn't you. I hoped to never see even a link to that crud ever again.

HAHAHAHA. You can "push" a wheel back? hmmm...

I love the fact that not only did they get the knots/mph backwards (mph is always higher than knots of course) but the conversion isn't even right.

I wonder who the heck uses ehow to figure out how to fly a plane anyway?

Hilarious...

Push the wheel back using the hand grips on the wheel. The plane has to be at 120 knots, or 80 miles per hour, for it to take off.

HAHAHAHA. You can "push" a wheel back? hmmm...

I love the fact that not only did they get the knots/mph backwards (mph is always higher than knots of course) but the conversion isn't even right.

fifteen percent, fifty percent... it's all the same.

Maybe it was a russian 182 with reversed controls...? The press has never been known for letting facts get in the way of a story. Why should we expect them to?

Frank

Darn, I didn't know it was so easy. Look at all the money I could have saved on lessons.

For non-pilots. Just a few highlights:

I'll let you guys pick apart the rest.

Why would the pilot (and more importantly, the PAX) want to know the remaining Principle on the Mortgage? {again, for NON-pilots who may not understand "bank"} :rolleyes:

For non-pilots. They obviously had someone who's never landed a plane write this one. Just a few highlights:
The altimeter shows the plane's "height above the ground"
You ascend or descend using the yoke, no mention of the throttle
Oh, and when landing at 1ft AGL, you "push the control wheel in" and "push the throttle all the way in" to slow down and slowly touch down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/10367754/How-its-done-Guide-to-landing-a-light-plane.html

I think this might be the worst aviation reporting I've ever seen. I'll let you guys pick apart the rest.

Don't forget to file a flight plan or else you will crash.

Don't forget to file a flight plan or else you will crash.

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! N52SP is 4 miles north of Greenville, Flight level 20. Our GPS just went dark and we forgot to file a flight plan! Any traffic in the area please advise!!!

Maybe someone could send the author a DM on Twitter and ask what he used as a source for this gem of an article.

@davidgmillward
David Millward is the Daily Telegraph's Transport Editor, with responsibility for covering rail, road and air. Views my own.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/david-millward/

Back