POH Scanned Copy OK?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
When I bought my airplane, a 1997 Grumman Tiger, seller gave me an old POH in it's original binder.

I found a later version, more up to date (per the List of Effective Pages) on the internet.

I'm wondering if there is any reason I cant just carry a printout of the more recent pdf in a binder?

If you got to have one in the cockpit, It makes sense to me that it should be the latest release.

The airplane has been out of production for a while. I don't imagine the TC holder is publishing revisions to it.

In Comanches the POH has serial number scope so that you know you have the right POH for the right plane. We also have an aftermarket POH which is about 20x more information than the Piper POH but it cost $175 from webco.

You need to make sure it is proper for your aircraft. This means it has to be the correct revision (and as modified by any ADs, STCs, service bulletins, etc...).

I hope so,I always made full copies of the pho for my aircraft,kept the original in a safe place so it would be available on the sale of the plane.

In Comanches the POH has serial number scope so that you know you have the right POH for the right plane. We also have an aftermarket POH which is about 20x more information than the Piper POH but it cost $175 from webco.

I'm sure that's still worth every penny.

I have never seen anything that says you need the original POH in your plane. I believe you need the one that is appropriate for your plane. When I purchased my plane the original POH was starting to lose some pages from the spiral binder. I scanned each sheet and then photoshopped the scans to appropriate size and quality and printed them out on card paper. I then laminated them and put holes in them so I keep them in a small three ring binder the same size as the original POH. I went through my IFR checkride with this and the DPE saw nothing wrong. I keep the POH in my house in a safe location.

It also has to include the current W&B and equipment list (or copies thereof), but other than that, a scanned copy of the original-by-s/n POH is just fine.

The W&B data is part of the AFM/POH for all planes with post-1978 POH's.

Sometimes it's written into the tables, but in almost every aircraft I've flown, the current weights and moments are on a separate sheet, usually generated by an avionics shop or whoever else last modified the aircraft. Some of these are older than 1978, but most aren't.

Sometimes it's written into the tables, but in almost every aircraft I've flown, the current weights and moments are on a separate sheet, usually generated by an avionics shop or whoever else last modified the aircraft. Some of these are older than 1978, but most aren't.

You still need the limits (envelope and any weight limits) and loading information (arms for various 'live' load). That's in the POH. The empty weight/balance and the equipment list that makes up that empty weight is usually separately required (and is definitely called out in the case of the Tiger) by the type certificate.

Still, I know of nothing that requires it to be paper. You just have to make sure it's CORRECT.

If you look in the table of contents for the POH, it's part of the POH even if later ones amending it are on separate sheets which are inserted into the POH. Without those data, the POH/AFM is incomplete.

Back