Taking A Leap!!!

Gulfstream1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
So im 20, work as a firefighter and have been fighting a battle within myself on how i should go about pursing my flying career. My father is a CFI/II and flys a Bell 430. Helos are cool but fixed wing is where my passion is.

I was flying out of ILG (New Castle) in a 172 w/ a flying club but things changed and that kind of went down the drain. At this point i'm eager to get things moving because at some point in time i'd like to gradually fly Part 121/135. I currently work full time with a schedule that gives me 4 days off every week!

At the moment i'm finishing up my PPL. So...i'm considering Trenton ATP flight school. Of course cost is huge.

Any advice or thoughts?

My initial advice is DON'T go into debt for this. Stick with the firefighting job while you build up your ratings and flight time.

Eventually, you'll be able to work on a part time basis with either a flight school as a CFI, or some other commercial outfit (jumpers, charter, etc).

When you get to the point of where you'll be competitive for other, bigger, better outfits, you'll have a better idea of what the aviation industry has to offer you, than if you get all your ratings in a few months.

At the ripe age of 20, you have A LOT of time on your side. No need to rush into this stuff.

BTW... I'd recommend working on a 4 year non-aviation degree too while your at it. By taking online courses, you can probably get a lot of studying done while you're at the station.

Good luck however you go.

20 and in the FD? Slow down man. You got 20 years to collect ratings and build time. Don't be rash, and you could actually enjoy flying for a living with a FD pension for cushion. Don't quit your day job, but do go flying.

So im 20, work as a firefighter and have been fighting a battle within myself on how i should go about pursing my flying career. My father is a CFI/II and flys a Bell 430. Helos are cool but fixed wing is where my passion is.

I was flying out of ILG (New Castle) in a 172 w/ a flying club but things changed and that kind of went down the drain. At this point i'm eager to get things moving because at some point in time i'd like to gradually fly Part 121/135. I currently work full time with a schedule that gives me 4 days off every week!

At the moment i'm finishing up my PPL. So...i'm considering Trenton ATP flight school. Of course cost is huge.

Any advice or thoughts?

I'm 58. The only advice I can give you is follow your passions. Never chase money, money will follow you.

At 20 you got the world by the ass, go for it. No excuses, no regrets, just do it.

Good luck. Enjoy the ride my friend.

My initial advice is DON'T go into debt for this. Stick with the firefighting job while you build up your ratings and flight time.

Eventually, you'll be able to work on a part time basis with either a flight school as a CFI, or some other commercial outfit (jumpers, charter, etc).

When you get to the point of where you'll be competitive for other, bigger, better outfits, you'll have a better idea of what the aviation industry has to offer you, than if you get all your ratings in a few months.

At the ripe age of 20, you have A LOT of time on your side. No need to rush into this stuff.

BTW... I'd recommend working on a 4 year non-aviation degree too while your at it. By taking online courses, you can probably get a lot of studying done while you're at the station.

I agree debt is not your friend!!! You will be making ALOT LESS as a pilot then being a firefighter. Take you time and get that degree. Main thing if to stay focus.

I agree debt is not your friend!!! You will be making A LOT LESS as a pilot than being a firefighter. Take you time and get that degree. Main thing is to stay focus.

Oops!! I forgot to clarify the compensation angle in my post.

Thanks!!

I was about the same situation (slightly older) and wanting to get into the airlines pretty badly, but that was right when the industry was in the process of tanking and salaries were circling the bowl along with a lot of layoffs. I made the decision that I would be better off in a professional career and flying as a hobby - and I've never regretted it.

Everybody's gotta pick a path in life, and no two of them are the same. Think about it, pick it, make it happen. If it becomes obvious that it was the wrong choice, well my grandpa always told me "That's why ever pencil has an eraser."

Last edited:
1. Follow your passion.

2. Do NOT get married and/or have children or otherwise knowingly participate in a serious committed relationship anytime in the near future!:nono:

Ask me how I know.

Best of luck to you.

We're not kidding. Love will derail you. Decide who you want to be first. Then start sharing yourself.

We're not kidding. Love will derail you. Decide who you want to be first. Then start sharing yourself.

Amen to that - you've got LOTS of time for that. I got married when I was 30, again when I was 35, and again when I was 40.... don't do that.:mad2:

Funny you mention that, after two years i decided to go back to school online! With a 48/96 hour schedule it is definitely in my favor to obtain this degree. Thanks so much!

I want to thank all of you for this! I'll admit I definitely got a chuckle out of the "dont get married part." Starting to sound like my MARRIED father lol!

I started by working the ramp for the airlines and taking flight lessons . Then I joined a fire dept. spent my career on the city fire dept,and while there got my ratings,the income did help,did a little 135 flying right seat. Follow your passion,but keep the job till you get the ratings,you can always fly 135 part time with your ff schedule.

as a self employed business owner, I can say this: if you have good benefits with the FD (assuming you like the job), don't let that go. Insurance is huge, so is a retirement plan. Do what you can on the side.

If you are so inclined, you should look into becoming a part-time Guardsman in the Delaware ANG unit based at New Castle. Since you don't have your four year degree, you would have to enlist, but I would try to get a Flight Engineer job with them. You could keep your fire fighting job for your full time employment, get some extra cash as a traditional Guardman, get to go on trips with the Guard, and work on finishing your degree. Once you have your degree under your belt, you could apply for a pilot slot through your unit. If selected, the unit would send you to pilot training, and you'd be a C-130 pilot as a part-timer, and can still do the fire fighting thing for real.

Just my $0.02...

Pretty sure God made police officers so fireman could have heroes. Stay safe. And no debt is good debt.

Back