If you won the lottery, what airplane would you buy?

Pilatus PC-12 for traveling and a Lancair Legacy with some ridiculous engine build for fun.

Then travel the country in the Pilatus until I was broke.

I would never win the lottery because I don't play. But, for the sake of argument, if I did play and win, I would allocate no more than 15% of the net payout after taxes for any plane or multiple thereof.

So, if the net winnings were $1M and taxes were $300K, the plane budget would be no more than $105K.

But, if the net winnings were $50M, and taxes were $20M, then the plane budget would be no more than $4.5M...

Then, 10% would be put away for operating and maintenance expenses. The remaining 75% would be put away for long term financial security and investments.

Those who spend the whole wad on the purchase price of one or multiple planes will soon be unable to operate or fly them, unless they already have another source of income big enough to do so...

I would have a EC130T2 for the sub 500NM trips, to see family and to the NEW beach house. Then I would get a Citation CJ3 for the longer trips.

Attachments

• Blue_Hawaiian_EC130-lg.jpg
    Blue_Hawaiian_EC130-lg.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
On top of the plane and helicopter, I would give a lot away, kinda like I do now, a % of my income to the deaf and blind and research for genetic disorders.

Why just one? Would like an airplane in fla. For fun runs a diesel 172 .an airplane up north for fun a turbo 182. One to commute to either up and down the coast ,a PC 12 Pilatus.

I would never win the lottery because I don't play. But, for the sake of argument, if I did play and win, I would allocate no more than 15% of the net payout after taxes for any plane or multiple thereof.

I thought of the same thing, but I thought I'd keep it to 10% or less just to make sure I had enough money to keep the planes in the air for several decades. This would be especially true if I bought a turboprop of some kind (or more than one) because if i got over $25M I'd get a TBM or an Epic. More than that and I'd get a PC-12 too.

I'd buy this Mig 23 off of tradaplane

jhimage

I'd go for a new Seneca and a JetRanger. I'm old .. I'd better stay away from anything too complicated.

RT

Two Mustangs....

A P-51D Mustang for fun and a Cessna Citation Mustang for the family. :D

If you won the lottery your misery would be just beginning.
I'd take on the risk. I'm sure dumping tons of cash on people who aren't prepared for it could cause them problems -- or more likely just allow them to fully exercise those problems they already have -- but I'm pretty sure we old farts could handle it with style and grace.

And a PC12.

:)

I'm thinking an albatross outfitted as a flying RV and a mustang would keep me happy for a while

I don't think I would buy another, I might do a little more mods on my 182 and that would be it.

Piaggio Avanti II? I guess I like the compromise of speed and lower operating costs compared to jets. No matter what I bought I'd want to fly it myself, so anything requiring a type rating might prove not worthwhile. Plus, really, all the flying I'd do is domestic; anything over an ocean would be commercial ( first class with champagne, but still commercial)

Piaggio Avanti II? I guess I like the compromise of speed and lower operating costs compared to jets. No matter what I bought I'd want to fly it myself, so anything requiring a type rating might prove not worthwhile. Plus, really, all the flying I'd do is domestic; anything over an ocean would be commercial ( first class with champagne, but still commercial)

I dont believe that the all-in cost on an Avanti are going to be lower than a light jet in a low-usage scenario.

Some hardy souls use aircraft as small as a TBM or Mustang for travels to europe and south america. It takes some planning and is slower than commercial, but the utility of having your magic carpet for travel while within the respective continent outweighs it in their mind.

I wouldn't let the need for a type rating stand between me and the plane I want.

One of these and whatever the latest greatest motorglider happens to be. Anything else I'd buy a plane ticket, who needs the travel flexibility of an owned turbine/jet when you can stay in the coolest places for months at a time.:wink2:

Attachments

• aircam-0001.jpg
    aircam-0001.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 17
Given my current level of training and skill I posses I'd likely go with a loaded Bo or SR22RT and a. Carbon Cub

If I was fully capable, licensed, and rated I would purchase an R-44 in terms of a helicopter for short trips around SoCal. In my mind guys a helicopter just makes sense in many ways. Sure you aren't aerodynamic and won't glide much but you can autorotate in an emergency. In terms of a plane I would, and mind you this is strictly going on looks and personal appeal, go with a fully updated 337. Now those would suit me just fine.

Last edited:
I think I'd probably go with a Beech 18. To me, those just ooze style, though the fuel burn is a bit excessive.

This question of what would I buy, comes up from time to time on pilot forums and my list doesn't change much over the years, although I think this year I'll add a helicopter just because it would be fun to learn to fly it.

1- Rebuild my M20F to be as close to a M20K as I can, just because I can.

2- Lancair Legacy, but this year I'll add a ballistic parachute system.

3- Leza Air Cam on floats

4- Socota TBM-850

5- Focke Wulf 190a

6- Robinson R-22

Since I would be retired, I might actually try building the Air Cam myself and if it goes well and I like it, I might do the Legacy myself too.

[edit] Oh, and because the Air Cam and Focke Wulf would require me to get a tailwheel endorsement, sea plane rating and a multi rating, I would probably buy for training purposes-

1- Aviat Husky A-1C, Get tail wheel, then put it on floats.

2- Grumman Cougar just because it's different.

If it turns out in the end that I really like STOL tail wheel/bush flying, I would then trade the Husky for a Fieseler Fi-156 Storch.

Last edited:
RV-8 for flying around locally and acro.
Extra 300 if I wind up being decent at aerobatics.
Something along the lines of a Seneca for cross country, with the idea of moving up to a TBM.
F4U once I am good at tailwheels, aerobatics, high performance and keeping a $50,000 reserve in the checkbook.

Cessna 421. They seem like cool planes except for the geared engines but I wouldn't care about the expense. I just won the lottery! :D

1- Rebuild my M20F to be as close to a M20K as I can, just because I can.

Is there even an STC that will let you do that? I thought you can only upgrade them to J specs. That would be a lot of work to add a turbo to an F.

I dont believe that the all-in cost on an Avanti are going to be lower than a light jet in a low-usage scenario.

Some hardy souls use aircraft as small as a TBM or Mustang for travels to europe and south america. It takes some planning and is slower than commercial, but the utility of having your magic carpet for travel while within the respective continent outweighs it in their mind.

I wouldn't let the need for a type rating stand between me and the plane I want.

Actually, operational costs seem much lower... And it's single pilot I believe...

Actually, operational costs seem much lower... And it's single pilot I believe...

That is why I said 'all in'. The Avanti is a fairly large plane, dont know why I would want to fly 9 passenger seats around if I have a family of 4. Yes, it the direct operating cost on a Avanti are considerably less than 9 passenger jets, but compared with a light jet like a CJ1 or Mustang, the difference is not that great. The difference is that an Avanti is twice the capital outlay of a CJ1, even if you are dealing with 'lottery money', a million half in the bank vs. tied up in a plane buys a lot of fuel. They seem to do well in a high-usage scenario like part 135 where the difference in direct operating cost offsets the entrance price, for a private owner who doesn't fly every day, the capital and fixed cost dominate the total budget.

Btw. CJ1-3, Citation V, 500, 501, 550, 551 (and a couple more) are all available as single pilot aircraft (either through type certificate, STC or exemption). If I had 'lottery money', paying a mentor pilot by the day to come along on trips would be a small number in the grand scheme of things.

I think the Avanti is great, I am just not sure it is the universal hammer to pound round pegs into square holes.

Conquest II for ease.
RV for playing and $500 hamburgers.
G-V for serious traveling.

One of these and whatever the latest greatest motorglider happens to be. Anything else I'd buy a plane ticket, who needs the travel flexibility of an owned turbine/jet when you can stay in the coolest places for months at a time.:wink2:

I thought about posting an aircam. Neat plane!

Is there even an STC that will let you do that? I thought you can only upgrade them to J specs. That would be a lot of work to add a turbo to an F.

There is no mod to my knowledge there is no STC to put the six cylinder Conti engine and cowl on, but there is an STC to put a turbo nomalized system on my existing on my existing IO-360. It's a nice set up if you can find it, or get them to build you one. Some of the other work would have to be field approvals I think. It would be a senseless project that I would only do because with tons of money, I could. I have a weird bond with my old war wagon and it's colorful history.

<WARNING> Kids at home, don't try to turn your F into a K, it's a really foolish project.

I thought about posting an aircam. Neat plane!

It really is! Every time sit in the front seat of one at one of the big conventions , like Oshkosh, or the AOPA Summits, I nearly sign on the dotted line!:idea:

Aviat Husky w/float and ski kits

Lancair Legacy

something something RV

something something helicopter w/float kit

For fun, A Kimball built Model 12, every lightwieght part available but still 2-seats and the baddest M-14 that Barret can build.

For low and slow, RANS S-7 Courier (tandem)

For travel, a Sierra modd'ed Citation 501SP with Williams Engines, new glass and paint/interior - alternative would be a nice Epic LT (I have flown this and it is beast).

Get it all done for around $3M.

'Gimp

Piaggio Avanti II, for sure.

Back