Can I bring company pilot along on reimbursed flight?

And an Inspector has better things to do with his time than chasing minutia, especially on something that would be next to impossible to do an enforcement on.
I agree. But the question was the actual law, not the likelihood of enforcement. So, while not technically legal, I doubt anyone in the FAA would know or care what you did as long as it wasn't jammed in their faces.

To take Ron's side for a change, I remember being offered reimbursement for the fuel I expended flying Angle Flights in support of Katrina and Rita. I turned it down, just as I turn down offers to chip in for gas money when I take non-pilot friends on 100 dollar burger runs.

I'm not real worried about the FAA MRAP vehicle crashing through my front door at 3am, disgorging a squad of body armored FSDO agents, and seizing my logbook and bank statements.

I'm more concerned about what I imagine to be increased civil liability should anything go wrong on a flight which involved the exchange of money.

To take Ron's side for a change, I remember being offered reimbursement for the fuel I expended flying Angle Flights in support of Katrina and Rita. I turned it down, just as I turn down offers to chip in for gas money when I take non-pilot friends on 100 dollar burger runs.

I'm not real worried about the FAA MRAP vehicle crashing through my front door at 3am, disgorging a squad of body armored FSDO agents, and seizing my logbook and bank statements.

I'm more concerned about what I imagine to be increased civil liability should anything go wrong on a flight which involved the exchange of money.

After the Northridge quake I was flying diapers and water around for a couple of days and they were providing the fuel, and the FSDO at LGB was right there. They didn't seem to have any problem with anyone doing the same thing and I know several of those guys were PPs as well, I'm pretty sure I already had my commercial then. The first load I brought down was on my way from Oakland and ATC asked if I could stop by a ramp and pick up some relief supplies to fly back.

Whenever any of these who-shot-John threads gets going I'm reminded of the consistent comments of prominent FAA attorneys who lecture at the annual NBAA tax, financial and risk conference (held later this month in Vegas if anybody is interested).

"The FAA doesn't think money should change hands in part 91 operations. If/when it does, you can safely assume they will be very interested in the details."

Back