Garmin 796 Opportunity Costs

Kainalu

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kainalu
So, after doing a bunch of research on the advantages/disadvantages of the Aera 796, I'm convinced that it is a very good option to add into the cockpit.

The only thing that I haven't found much of is actual pilot reviews of it.

1) What are your likes/complaints?

2) Subscription costs: Way higher than Foreflight for basically the same maps/plates/terrain. Is it worth the yearly cost for you?

3) IFR flying. Seems like it will be an extremely valuable tool for IFR. Likes/dislikes in this regard?

Any and all input and discussion is appreciated!

So, after doing a bunch of research on the advantages/disadvantages of the Aera 796, I'm convinced that it is a very good option to add into the cockpit.

I can only comment on the concept of a handheld GPS... I have a 496, but many of the same thoughts.

2) Subscription costs: Way higher than Foreflight for basically the same maps/plates/terrain. Is it worth the yearly cost for you?

I have the 496 and an IPAD with Garmin Pilot on it. Garmin Pilot crashes too often for me to depend on it. But the sub is cheaper. So I update the 496 every few years, and keep the Ipad current. The 496 has never crashed and that is what you are paying for... a dedicated box with the 796. I'm getting rid of XM also, since the 496 didn't' support ADS-B... you may not have that issue with the

3) IFR flying. Seems like it will be an extremely valuable tool for IFR.

Only for situational awareness. You can't file as if you have a GPS or RNAV device. The days are numbered for serious IFR without an IFR GPS on board.

Last edited:
smmcray on this board has one... contact him via private message if he doesn't respond in open forum.

I have a 496 with XM weather and an iPad Mini with ForeFlight (I keep saying I am going to get a Stratus and cancel XM, but haven't gotten around to it). A good friend I fly with a lot has a 796. It is a great piece of equipment, but it is very large. He has it yoke mounted. I am not even sure I could do that in my plane (Cherokee) and if I did, it would block half the panel. Have you physically seen one, yet? Do you know where you would mount it?

Replaced my 696 with a 796. It is a back up to my G1000, though occassionally I will use it for charts(if I assure they are current) for me it is mostly a back up, and a way to see how symmetrical my maneuvers(turns around a point, chandelles, s-turns, IFR holds, approaches, etc) are. My main complaint is battery life, and if you need it for more than a few hrs you need to plug it is. Other complaints it is somewhat bulky, and probably is better as a panel mount than on the yoke. I use it not attached to anything and handle it much as I would a paper chart. I am not a big fan of touch screen but it works on the 796 well. It is fairly intuitive, and is certainly more robust than an I-pad.

I do not have foreflight. I pay for the G1000 subscription and will occasionally update the 796.

3) IFR flying. Seems like it will be an extremely valuable tool for IFR. Likes/dislikes in this regard?
Only useful for situational awareness, and not flying approaches. In an emergency, well....

Do you know where you would mount it?

It would be panel mounted. They actually make a pretty slick harness for the unit that allows it to run off the power of the airplane and has a quick-disconnect to allow you to take the unit with you if desired.

My airplane partner had a 796 in his Bonanza. Had a lot of trouble with the screen locking up. Garmin said it was due to the "heat" in direct sunlight and that they "all" do that. When it locked up on an IFR arrival on a VOR approach in California, he traded it on a 696. Asked him about it the other day - his response was "never again".

He loves the 696 and is never without it.

The tactile feel of the knob and buttons on the 696 is preferred by many pilots including me. We had both units in the plane for the OSH trip, and even though the 796 has a few more features I found that I still prefer the other unit. YMMV.

My airplane partner had a 796 in his Bonanza. Had a lot of trouble with the screen locking up. Garmin said it was due to the "heat" in direct sunlight and that they "all" do that. When it locked up on an IFR arrival on a VOR approach in California, he traded it on a 696. Asked him about it the other day - his response was "never again".

He loves the 696 and is never without it.

I was on the same dilema between the Aera 796 or the Aera 560. Like others I found the 796 bulky for yoke mount so I opted for the 560. Very happy with the 560. I can easily do screen entries in turbulence while wresting my wrist on the yoke. I have total view of all the instruments while looking at the 560, no need to move my head. WX\XM weather works great even in the Bahamas.

José

Attachments

• Aera on yoke.JPG
    Aera on yoke.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 13
Back