Handgun question.

NC Pilot said:
Nice gun Frank. You will like it.

Train like your life depends on it... For fun try out some IDPA matches.:yes:

Mark
Thanks Mark. That looks like a lot of fun and a way of improving proficiency! I'm going to look into that.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the SIG P229R/.40 pistol? A friend is a "associate" instructor at the Academy and has been touting the SIG as a great carry pistol. I've shot a few pistols and I really like the way the SIG feels, but I don't really have any other data points. Other friends are steering me towards Smith & Wesson, but my SIG pal calls them "S**t & Won't Fire"... It bears mentioning that I want to purchase a locally made pistol, both S&W and SIG are made within 45 minutes of my house.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Frank Browne said:
Yesterday I purchased a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP. Very nice firearm. I can pick it up on Monday. Wednesday, I'll be taking a firearms safety course as required for a CC permit.

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II (4"). You will find it very tight until you put about 400 rounds through it. Cheap ammo might jam until it gets broken in. You will also find it very accurate. When I took my concealed carry course a couple of years ago the two cops teaching the course could not believe how well that gun shot on the range. Some people don't like carrying a gun cocked and locked. When people see the gun in the holster with the hammer back they think it's unsafe. Not true. You have a grip safety and a thumb safety.

I suspect Frank broke his $500.00 budget.

Paul Allen said:
I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II (4"). You will find it very tight until you put about 400 rounds through it. Cheap ammo might jam until it gets broken in. You will also find it very accurate. When I took my concealed carry course a couple of years ago the two cops teaching the course could not believe how well that gun shot on the range. Some people don't like carrying a gun cocked and locked. When people see the gun in the holster with the hammer back they think it's unsafe. Not true. You have a grip safety and a thumb safety.

I suspect Frank broke his $500.00 budget.

Indeed I did. But the guy at the store where I purchased made me a deal I couldn't refuse. And thanks for the heads up on the ammo. How is the Kimber as far as the variety of loads it will handle? Does it work best with standard ball ammo?

The reality of handgun (or any firearm) for home defence is any decent quality .380 and larger that you feel comfortable shooting. Practice with it to the tune of at least 50rnds a month. Store the gun in a location/ condition that you can get to and use where unauthorized (read kids) will not have access to it in a hot condition or be able to make it hot. Remember "He who hits first wins"

astanley said:
Any thoughts on the SIG P229R/.40 pistol?

I have fired the 229 and like it, and I have never had any issues with any SIG sidearms. It's mostly about what weapon fits well in your hand. With the proper ammo, anything 9mm or bigger is a fine defense weapon.

When I went from my Beretta M9 to the Sig 239 for my personal carry weapon, it took a little time to get comfortable with the lack of a manual safety on the SIG. That's not to say the SIG doesn't HAVE a safety - it does. It's just released by the first bit of pressure on the trigger.

Once I trained myself to stop reaching for the thumb safety my M9 had, I got comfortable with the SIG. The only drawback to it is that since it is absolutely a point and fire gun (great for defense) I am extra paranoid about it since I have a three year old. I used to store the M9 at home with a round in the chamber and the weapon decocked and the safety on. Firing then required manually operating the thumb safety and pulling the trigger DA, or cocking the hammer back for a SA squeeze. With the SIG, if it's not in my hand or in my holster on my person, there's no round in the chamber.

Of course, the weapon is stored in a lock box out of childs reach. When she gets older I'll introduce her to weapons. It's nice living near the NRA HQ as there are lots of local resources.

Damn, I had no idea so many people were so heavily armed. Maybe I'll just stay in tonight.

NC Pilot said:
Frank,

I recommend sticking to the .45 over the .357 or .44 magnum. If you miss with the 45 you might go through a wall. Miss with the magnums and the collateral damage can be much more. Springfield makes a dandy mil-spec 1911 still that can be had for less than $500 brand new. http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-ms.shtml

Plus they have a new XD in a 45 as well (13+1 rounds of .45):
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-45acp.shtml

Ruger makes a couple great .45's that can really do the job and really don't need great care to keep functioning well. http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=2

Let us know what you get.

If you cant hit what you are aiming at, then you shouldnt be using anything.,I carry a S&W .40 cal Chiefs special, I cant stand plastic toys that rattle in my hand when I shoot them, great piece, light, very accurate, use it for shooting goround hogs along the road,

If you are schooled in Semi-autos, chambering of a round after every shot is a non-event

Frank Browne said:
Indeed I did. But the guy at the store where I purchased made me a deal I couldn't refuse. And thanks for the heads up on the ammo. How is the Kimber as far as the variety of loads it will handle? Does it work best with standard ball ammo?

I use Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shok jacketed hollow point for my every day carry. A little expensive for the range. I use cheaper full jacket ball ammo when I'm practicing. Once you put a few hundard rounds through the gun you should not have any jam problems. Be prepared to hit what your aiming at. They are very accurate weapons.

Last edited:
Damn, you guys rock! I'm not really from the gun culture, so it's all a mystery to me. A few .22 rounds at scout camp, plus skeet/trap (where I saw someone come about 2" -inches, not feet- from blowing their head off, accidently of course) is about all I can lay claim to.

I've thought about a home defense weapon for a while. Not for garden variety burglars, more for the "hell in a handbasket" scenario. I'd hate to be the only one in deer country without a wep. MP40 would be nice, but I'm not sure where to procure one.:yes: I thought about pistoles, and as a non-gun guy, clearly I'm drawn to Glocks. Still, I would think for home defense there's no substitute for girth (in the barrel, of course). That argues for a nice shotgun with a good magazine and easy-working pump action.

Any suggestions.....

If you ever had to use a shotgun inside your house you would have one he$$ of a mess when your done. I prefer a good quality 45 with the right ammo for self defense. You can also move through a dark house easier with a handgun. You do need some training so you don't kill the wrong person! If all you want to do is scare someone, a shotgun would work. If I ever have to pull my weapon from the holster, it won't be for scare tactics. You should never introduce a weapon into a situation unless you a prepared to use it.

OSU Rocks!

If you ever have to use a shotgun in your house you're not really worried about a mess - you're worried about survival. If you're unwilling/unable to do the work to maintain proficiency with a handgun, a shotgun is a good home defense solution.

In a true home defense situation, you and your family should already have retreated to your safe room and called the police, and you are ready to shoot anyone to attempts to breach your restricted perimeter while you await rescue.

If you're planning on doing room-to-room hunting in your house, you should:
Use a submachine gun with good night sights (or a civilian model) and frangible ammo.
Live in a state with Castle doctrine laws. Most states still require you to retreat, even in your home, rather than use deadly force.

I'm talking real "hell in a handbasket" protect the homestead stuff. Garden variety criminals I'm not worried about. Too much room for error, escalation, etc, esp with kids in the house. And, yeah, training and proficiency maintenance would be a must.

I've had two days at the range since bringing it home last Monday, and I can say that I am very happy with this weapon. Solid, and ACCURATE! So far I'm very happy with my decision. I plan on at least 2-3 days per month at the range.

Frank Browne said:
I've had two days at the range since bringing it home last Monday, and I can say that I am very happy with this weapon. Solid, and ACCURATE! So far I'm very happy with my decision. I plan on at least 2-3 days per month at the range.

I have never regretted buying a Kimber. I'm glad you like yours. Yes, they are very accurate.

Sorry I'm entering this late. Have a friend that is selling this if you think it's appropriate. Not a good close quarter weapon, but pretty good other times.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• .50 cal pic.JPG
    .50 cal pic.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 21
Dave Siciliano said:
Sorry I'm entering this late. Have a friend that is selling this if you think it's appropriate. Not a good close quarter weapon, but pretty good other times.

Best,

Dave
Now THAT'S what you call a "hell in a hand basket" gun!

Nice, the recoil would probably blow me into the next state.

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

I hear the VP is going hunting again... ;)

I sure wouldn't want to bring a knife to a standoff with this guy!

Sure looks like it has deterrent power if that makes a difference!!

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I sure wouldn't want to bring a knife to a standoff with this guy!

Sure looks like it has deterrent power if that makes a difference!!

I dunno Dave. I still like the Ma Deuce. :yes:

Frank Browne said:

Geesh Frank:

That's a wonderful pistol; been thinking about getting one of those, but haven't. I'm jealous <g>

I carry a .40 Glock but really like .45 and have been thinking of moving up. Worried about recurrent training and insurance on that?

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

LOL. That will keep the thugs at bay.

Back