Deleted

Just found that myself... 600OVC here now. Of course, my 1st question as part of my preflight was, "what are the tops -- and where is it freezing". My go-to for such questions is SkewTs. Was surprised they were not considered important by the govt.... 'Figured, from talking to a metrologist buddy of mine, that SkewTs were the starting point for several other work products / didn't think they'd be shut down...

Last edited:
It's just this site that's not available. Soundings (Skew-Ts) can be generated by forecasters in many other ways (most of these other ways are not available via the Internet).

Most? Or all? Any alternatives you can point us to?

You may notice that some NOAA or gov't websites that are not considered critical for safety may be unreachable. rucsoundings.noaa.gov is one of them and that also may affect apps such as SkewTLogPro.

Omg no! Confirmed - no data in SkewTLogPro.

Omg no! Confirmed - no data in SkewTLogPro.

Yep... I'm back to looking at FAs for tops and Outlook charts for freezing levels... There's also the freezing levels map in Foreflight, but I had made SkewTs my 1st stop over the last few years; it's hard to look at more general products..

To find skew T forecasts that aren't affected by the govt shutdown:

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/grbsnd.html

It's actually a very good site.

A couple of tips:

Enter the three-letter code for a fairly big airport.

There are some options you can choose. If you just want the basic temperature and dewpoint curves without the yellow "parcel" curve, you can turn the parcel curve off. For the other options, just leaving the defaults will probably meet the needs for most users.

Last edited:
Somewhere last week I saw an area forecast in which the vertical line of each firt character spelled: "P-l-e-a-s-e-p-a-y-u-s"

Someone either didn't read the thread, or didn't look at their own link. ;)

Huh? I actually did read the whole thread and specifically answered _your_ question. The link I provided has NOAA skewT forecasts... Just put in the airport code that you want at the bottom of the screen, and voila.

Not sure what you're trying to say.

Huh? I actually did read the whole thread and specifically answered _your_ question. The link I provided has NOAA skewT forecasts... Just put in the airport code that you want at the bottom of the screen, and voila.

Not sure what you're trying to say.

When I open that link, I get "Service Temporarily Unavailable."

"Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown."

It works fine for me.

I tried it again, and it came up.

Back