Driving Skills/Flying Skills & Habits

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
How does a person's driving skills and habits correlate with flying? I ask because while discussing the possibility of attaining a PPL a friend of my commented about my lack of excessive speed when I drive. In other words I drive too slow to like the speed of a plane. How does a person's driving skills correlate with their flying skills and vice versa?

Probably not at all. Pilots aren't all alike. In fact, the most experienced pilot I know drives unbelievably, painfully, please-kill-me slow.

Not sure they corrolate speed wise...but my husband says that since I got my PPL I'm alot more cautious. :) It may be due to always checking my surrounding due to the wings just being "Out there" that I do that while driving as well.

I don't think as a generalization you can compare the two have heard that a driver that takes chances while driving will also take unnecessary chance while flying.

I've found an inverse correlation, if anything. Some of the scariest car rides I've had are with some of the best pilots who I'd gladly sleep while letting them fly.

My driving isn't as good as it was when I started flying, though.

Pilots tend to have better energy management skills while driving. We're also easier on the brakes.

-Rich

My "other car" is a race car. I guess I kinda like to go fast.

Maybe that's why I have an airplane with an IO-550.

Gotta admit, though, I have as much fun putt-putting around the sky in a Cessna 150 as I do bombing around at twice the 150's speed.

I am a below the speed limit driver and motorcycle rider. I am a motorcycle safety instructor.
The skills for a motorcycle operation correlate.
But is I am slow. I'm the reason some roads have minimum speeds :rofl::rofl:

Just remember that you don't center yourself on the dashed line while driving.

How does a person's driving skills and habits correlate with flying? I ask because while discussing the possibility of attaining a PPL a friend of my commented about my lack of excessive speed when I drive. In other words I drive too slow to like the speed of a plane. How does a person's driving skills correlate with their flying skills and vice versa?

Speed has no impact on the correlation between driving and flying skill, it's attention to detail and the ability to gauge and manage the energy within the control parameters.

I'm a great driver, an award winning motorcycle rider, and an average pilot.

I'm an above average driver (who no longer takes speed limits as 'suggestions' since the FAA can look over my shoulder) and a superb pilot ("no stop signs, no speed limits"--it's so nice!), but do we really need to discuss all of my habits?

I believe flying has made me a better driver. Better able to multi-task, not be distracted, and maintain situational awareness, drive defensively, and anticipate stupid moves of other drivers.

My experience from racing cars and having a good sense of what a machine is doing "by the seat of my pants" helped immensely in learning to fly. My racing friend who got in to flying a bit before me also had a similar experience.

My experience from racing cars and having a good sense of what a machine is doing "by the seat of my pants" helped immensely in learning to fly. My racing friend who got in to flying a bit before me also had a similar experience.

A dozen or so years as a NASCAR official was summed up by something one of the old hands told me in my first few weeks: "All Drivers are liars."

I know some folks who drive slowly because they really can't keep pace with the car if they drive fast. I would prefer they not drive at all, but no one asked me.

I would definitely not like to see such folks fly aircraft. Way too easy to get behind an aircraft, and far too catastrophic. In driving we worry about artificial laws written by humans. In flying the laws we worry about are ma nature's own.

Yeah, the clearing turns on the freeway are starting to get the CHP's attention....

Speed has no impact on the correlation between driving and flying skill, it's attention to detail and the ability to gauge and manage the energy within the control parameters.

Precisely.

Where I live, you can easily drive forty or fifty miles without coming up on a stop sign or traffic light. There are a lot of hills and turns, though, and you also have to slow down to go through the occasional villages or past the occasional schools during the week; but with good forward observation and a bit of thought and attention to kinetic energy, you can do this almost completely without braking. I don't think most non-commercial drivers really give much thought to this energy-management aspect of driving, unless they also happen to be pilots.

One simple example is that especially in a manual transmission car, if you just let up on the gas when you get to a "Speed Zone Ahead" sign, you'll usually be moving at close to the right speed by the time you get to the reduced speed zone. I usually tap the brake for a second when I do this, just to light the brake lights; but then I let the vehicle slow down by itself.

I once had a passenger (in my car) ask me if I was a pilot because she noticed that I drove a lot like her late husband, who had been a pilot. Specifically, she said, I almost never touched the brakes, I tended to take my foot off the gas while still on the uphill side of a hill right before the top (so I wouldn't be going too fast on the downhill side), and I almost never gave the car gas or used the brakes when going downhill. If you're in the right gear at the top of the hill, there's usually little need for either.

My dad and my brothers have also commented on this. My dad once asked me when was the last time I had a brake job done on one of my cars. I thought about it, and it had been a couple of years. I just don't use them a whole lot. I also save a lot of gas, because when you think about it, having to use the brakes means wasting whatever gas you used to get to a higher speed than what you needed. It's also safer in the snow to let the car decelerate gradually than to use the brakes unnecessarily.

In any case, my energy management is different enough from the way most folks drive that several have commented on it to me. I just don't think it's something most drivers pay attention to.

Another thing a few people have commented on is my attention to possible hazards. In fairness, though, I think a lot of that also came from my CDL training, where they teach you to assume that almost anything that's not anchored in the earth may just jump out in front of you.

-Rich

Last edited:
I'm an awful driver.

I'll second that! :lol:

My biggest pet peeve is folks stopping way past the stop sign or light.

It can be fun to see their faces when I start hugging the shoulder tho as I drive by :rofl:

Last edited:

If you could describe both my flying and my driving in one word, it would be “fast”

I had a lead foot (except in school zones and residential neighborhoods where children would be present) and I loved flying as fast as the airplane would go.

In my younger days, I spent too much time flying too low, but that's where the feeling of speed was.

I used to ski down the mountain as fast as I could too

I would put myself forward as a horrid motorcyclist, but I am still alive, breathing, and unhurt, something I cannot say for numerous other motorcyclists and former motorcyclists of my acquaintance.

I'm an above average driver (who no longer takes speed limits as 'suggestions' since the FAA can look over my shoulder) and a superb pilot ("no stop signs, no speed limits"--it's so nice!), but do we really need to discuss all of my habits?

Everyone knows the speed limit is 250 under 10k

My biggest pet peeve is folks stopping way past the stop sign or light.

Depends on state law. In Texas you can stop past the sign as long as you don't enter the intersection or white line.

Everyone knows the speed limit is 250 under 10k

That's true, but since it's above Vne I don't count it as a "limit" since I can't break it even if I wanted to. (Because I do want to use the plane again . . . )

I drive a stick shift. I like to pretend it gives me some sort of multi-tasking leg up in an airplane? Probably fooling myself. :)

I am both a professional driver and pilot. Basically the only correlation I can find is that birds and crazy bums both like to jump out in front of you.

In all seriousness flying is just a lot less stressful.

I drive a stick shift. I like to pretend it gives me some sort of multi-tasking leg up in an airplane? Probably fooling myself. :)

Not necessarily, although I don't think it's so much a multitasking advantage as an attentiveness / awareness one.

Driving a stick properly involves the driver in an intimate relationship with the engine and drive train. It also involves heightened attention to the operational environment, as well as a conceptual understanding of the physics of horsepower and torque. Proper gear selection must be made based on speed, incline, temperature, vehicle loading, traffic, desired rate of acceleration / deceleration, fuel economy considerations, and road conditions. It also involves subtle rev-matching to obtain a smooth, almost undetectable shift that impresses passengers and extends the life of the clutch.

-Rich

No correlation. If anything, one may cause negative transfer of muscle memory to the other.

No correlation. If anything, one may cause negative transfer of muscle memory to the other.

I dunno...

Maybe, but it seems unlikely to me. I play five musical instruments, two of them well enough that I could eke out a meager living that way if push came to shove. I never had any muscle memory problems switching between instruments. I also never had any problems switching from a taildragger to a nosewheel, from a three-axis airplane to a WSC trike, from a compact car to a tractor trailer, etc.

Maybe others have had different experiences, but mine has been that those kinds of changes are pretty much automatic.

-Rich

I dunno...

Maybe, but it seems unlikely to me. I play five musical instruments, two of them well enough that I could eke out a meager living that way if push came to shove. I never had any muscle memory problems switching between instruments. I also never had any problems switching from a taildragger to a nosewheel, from a three-axis airplane to a WSC trike, from a compact car to a tractor trailer, etc.

Maybe others have had different experiences, but mine has been that those kinds of changes are pretty much automatic.

-Rich

Reminds me of that old joke…

Q: what's the difference between a professional musician and a large pizza?
A: the pizza can feed a family of 4

(You can probably substitute “professional pilot” in there as well)

Not necessarily, although I don't think it's so much a multitasking advantage as an attentiveness / awareness one.

Driving a stick properly involves the driver in an intimate relationship with the engine and drive train. It also involves heightened attention to the operational environment, as well as a conceptual understanding of the physics of horsepower and torque. Proper gear selection must be made based on speed, incline, temperature, vehicle loading, traffic, desired rate of acceleration / deceleration, fuel economy considerations, and road conditions. It also involves subtle rev-matching to obtain a smooth, almost undetectable shift that impresses passengers and extends the life of the clutch.

-Rich

Man, I like the way you think. :D

My driving speeds up on the way home from the airport. At about 55 I start to flare my SUV.

Well guys let me clarify something also. For instance if the speed limit is 65 I'll cruise at 70 usually. On occasion I'll go 75-80 if we're talking about wide open highway which doesn't occur much in SoCal. For some reason this buddy of mine feels the need to hit 90MPH in 65 MPH zones and so forth.

I dunno...

-Rich

Negative transfer is well documented in tasks requiring hand eye coordination.

A personal example...I've been riding motorcycles since I was a kid...so my muscle memory to roll on the throttle in a motorcycle is backwards when I hop in a helicopter. I had to "undo" this potentially fatal habit.

An airplane stall warning tone and a helicopter's low rotor rpm horn *can* both require immediate but opposite corrective actions...that if reversed can have a fatal outcome for the operator.

I drive my daily commuter vehicle fairly sedately (F350 diesel) - except when I have the granddaughter strapped in the back seat. On the rare times I take the 986 out, I tend to be a "bit" more aggressive. Haven't taken Tenley out in the convertible yet - need to wait until she can face forward - but then I'll probably drive it like....well, a Grandpa :)

Back