flight plan advice - Denver

redcloud

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scott keyes
I hope someone could provide some advice with regard to routing, etc.

In a couple of weeks I need to fly from my home base (KOWX) in NW Ohio to Jeffco airport (KBJC) which is located on the west side of Denver's Class B veil. I am flying my Col 400, and will file IFR. I am comfortable with Class Charlie but this will be my first excursion through or near Class Bravo.

Thanx in advance!

Scott

If you file Ifr and continue it to your destination KBJC, class B is a none event, other than routing that approach may give you to avoid it or traffic in it, file, listen and enjoy, it is a great trip and a fun place to go, Denver controllers are great to deal with.

Didn't you have to land in a Bravo for your private? If not, don't worry about it, as far as you're concerned (IFR) it's no different than a Charlie. Be wary of the speed limits if you operate under the bravo, but I don't think your 400 is that fast down low anyway.

Denver Approach is pretty good. You'll most likely get vectors around DEN. I'd guess to the north and low. If there are clouds there will be ice.

As long as you are IFR and don't cancel early, you'll be guided to the localizer if IMC or to a visual if VMC. Or ask them to give you the ILS even if it's VMC. Denver is very good about it, no problems and piece of cake. If VMC, much of the traffic into and out of BJC will be going north from the airport to depart and inbound from the north to the airport to come in and land, so keep your eyes open. [Student practicing is usually to the north, mountains are directly west so not many heading there, Class B to the east, ditto.]

Some construction going on at BJC on 29R/11L. Or there was up til last week, I've been out of town and don't know whether they have completed it. So, 29L has been available [7000 ft. rather than 9000 ft.]. Occasionally, the taxi routes are a little bit of a maze, depends on which day and which part of the construction is happening. Just ask for a progressive taxi if it sounds confusing the day you land or depart. It's been going on for months so everyone is geared up to help you if you need it. But you probably won't.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Iguess I was also concerned whether I should file an arrrival such as SAYGE.SAYGE5.

Scott

No need to file an arrival when filing an IFR flight plan...ATC will assign you one, if they deem it necessary. I do like to look over a STAR I think I could get, just in case it is complicated...not memorize it or anything, just give it a look to see which navaids I might be using, etc.

Back