Cessna fighter jet

Does this mean I can start wearing my combat flight suit in the 152?

I hope those wings sweep because it looks more like an ISR platform than any kind of fighter. How do you even link "interceptor/utility" in the same sentence anyway? Like saying it's an F-15 with the capability of a C-12.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the first time.....T-37.

I hope those wings sweep because it looks more like an ISR platform than any kind of fighter. How do you even link "interceptor/utility" in the same sentence anyway? Like saying it's an F-15 with the capability of a C-12.

It's only designed to intercept the Mighty Cessna 152. Maybe the occasional Bonanza.

They should build it, just for the humor value in Cessna building an interceptor to catch its wayward siblings.

A key selling point would be if the acquisition and operating costs are well below a UH-60 Blackhawk, which I suspect is the case.

Jeff

How do you call a straight wing subsonic plane an interceptor? What's it going to intercept, GA planes and slow airliners?

How do you call a straight wing subsonic plane an interceptor? What's it going to intercept, GA planes and slow airliners?

Put a couple at Andrews and it would be cheaper than running F-15's up every time someone busts the FRZ.

Actually, I think that's exactly it's purpose. I think the idea is all this homeland security nonsense, where flying F15s is utter overkill. I hope it works out for them, though I doubt it will. Our military has never been fond of cost effective solutions.

I bet they get lots of overseas buyers though.

It would work for Homeland Security issues for sure, it would be slightly less effective in the case of a real threat than an F-15, but an F-15 couldn't do anything about a real threat anyway. If I wanted to fly a bomb into the capital building, no worries, I could beat the F-15 there.

Everyone wants to eat at the trough of goverment contracting before we run out of places to borrow money from.

Is it a contract or a free-lance spec? Might they be trying to back-door into the trainer?

Everyone wants to eat at the trough of goverment contracting before we run out of places to borrow money from.

Is it a contract or a free-lance spec? Might they be trying to back-door into the trainer?

They saw what happened to HBC in the light attack competition. If they sell 3 of the things to Equatorial Guinea, 2 years from now when the air force has a contract for a 'off the shelf' light interceptor as a giveaway to the free syrian army,, they can offer up their product under that RFP.

I guess they could always contend that electronic interception counts too.

They saw what happened to HBC in the light attack competition. If they sell 3 of the things to Equatorial Guinea, 2 years from now when the air force has a contract for a 'off the shelf' light interceptor as a giveaway to the free syrian army,, they can offer up their product under that RFP.

If we're talking about saving money for intercepting aircraft in the U.S. (FRZ) it can be done with far cheaper aircraft than this. I'm sure we could round up some old OV-10s or OV-1s to fit the bill. Also $3,000 per hour is actually more than what a basic UH-60 operates at. I'm sure a 60 could get airborne much faster than this thing as well.

Sounds like a modern A-37 to me. Train in it, observe from it, interdict with it, even fly CAP over the Capital with it. And sell a lot of 'em to 3rd tier countries who want a "Jet Fighter" in their inventory but can't really afford one.

Looks somewhat like a scaled-down version of the A-10.

Reminds me of the Bede jet.

http://www.bedecorp.com/products/bd-10

bd10-1.jpg

Last edited:
A solution desperately in need of a problem.

Lol, although there is a problem that could use a solution. The operating cost of modern and legacy fighters still operating is extremely high. The A-802 that has been proposed is a swing and a miss at best due to low speeds and poor handling characteristics. The Tucan and AT-6II are a bit better, but still slow and have no redundancy for power. It looks like a decent platform for doing CAS as well, although the A-10 and AH-64 do a good job at that at a reasonable cost. I really see their market in the developing world.

Back