? for Indianapolis

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I have to fly into Indy tomorrow morning for business. My meeting is at the NW corner of the I-465 beltway off of 421 (N Michigan Rd).

What's the best airport to fly into? IND, 2R2 (Hendricks County), or TYQ (Indianapolis Executive). I'll need to rent a car.

Eagle Creek is 10 miles from my meeting site, Indy Exec is 11 miles. One mile isn't much difference. Between the two airports - why Eagle Creek?

When I needed to rent a car on the Sunday of the Labor Day weekend I flew into IND. It was no trouble and Signature didn't even charge me a fee when I bought fuel. Hertz is right across the driveway.

That was over 5 years ago pre 9/11, but I still wouldn't rule out IND.

OK, when I departed I had to get out of the way ahead of a Southwest 737 but that worked out OK, too.

Last edited:
I'll avoid a shameless plug for my home airport (KMQJ) because it's no where near where you are going.

Eagle Creek does probably make the most sense. The only downside would be that it's under the shelf of the Indy Class C, but the Indy controllers are always helpful and getting into Eagle Creek shouldn't be a problem, or you could just stay underneath the shelf and sill have plenty of room to operate.

sbonek said:
I'll avoid a shameless plug for my home airport (KMQJ) because it's no where near where you are going.

Eagle Creek does probably make the most sense. The only downside would be that it's under the shelf of the Indy Class C, but the Indy controllers are always helpful and getting into Eagle Creek shouldn't be a problem, or you could just stay underneath the shelf and sill have plenty of room to operate.

Indy Airspace is pretty easy to navigate and if VFR it is easy to get through it. Several times they have had me go right over the top of Indy IAP. Try that in Chicago. Barry I know the airspace you are used to flying, Indy is nothing compared to it. The ATC there is also very helpful. I only once did not get VFR services and that was because a race had ended and there were a lot of IFR departures.

smigaldi said:
Indy Airspace is pretty easy to navigate and if VFR it is easy to get through it. Several times they have had me go right over the top of Indy IAP. Try that in Chicago. Barry I know the airspace you are used to flying, Indy is nothing compared to it. The ATC there is also very helpful. I only once did not get VFR services and that was because a race had ended and there were a lot of IFR departures.

exactly.. what he said... :D

speaking of Chicago and VFR, or lack therof.... I flew up to Schaumburg, and once Chicago Center dropped me off, nobody else would even answer my call... good times...

sbonek said:
exactly.. what he said... :D

speaking of Chicago and VFR, or lack therof.... I flew up to Schaumburg, and once Chicago Center dropped me off, nobody else would even answer my call... good times...
I heard that somewhere.

sbonek said:

That's no problem as I'll be IFR.

mikea said:
When I needed to rent a car on the Sunday of the Labor Day weekend I flew into IND. It was no trouble and Signature didn't even charge me a fee when I bought fuel. Hertz is right across the driveway.

That was over 5 years ago pre 9/11, but I still wouldn't rule out IND.

OK, when I departed I had to get out of the way ahead of a Southwest 737 but that worked out OK, too.

I thought about IND mainly because the forecast winds are from 300/310 and KEYE's runway is 3-21 for basically a 90 degree cross wind, but they're forecast at 9 knts so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll add a vote for Eagle Creek as well. File Peotone - Brickyard - EYE. Got very good service from them a couple of weeks ago when I took Leslie there for her birthday. They met us at the plane with water and gave us a crew car for about three hours. They also have car rentals available for longer use.

On top of it, after your meeting's over you can get a GOOD dinner across the street at Rick's Cafe & Boatyard. We head there at least annually for dinner.

Signature @ind will get you for $25 ramp fee or buy expensive fuel, Ratheon across the field was no charge. I would still use eagle creek.
Joe

sbonek said:

Well that is because you just uinderstand the traffic flow and ATC procedures for Chicago. If you did it would all make sense. Or at least that is what one C90 controller has stated. Apparently it is better to NOT talk to planes in busy airspace so as to make it safer for all. DUH! :no:

Back