Heading out to Cincinnati form Philly

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
I am heading out to Cincinnati (from Philly) on the 16-18 for work. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a place to stop along the way.

Thanks,
Bob

Morgantown, WV (MGW), has a middle eastern restaurant and is right on your way.

I am heading out to Cincinnati (from Philly) on the 16-18 for work. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a place to stop along the way.

Thanks,
Bob

Stop or non-stop?

It is easy non-stop for me from DC area, but I did get to a number of cities in West Virginia and eastern Ohio from time to time.

There is not a lot of particular interest between Pittsburgh and Columbus. Some of the cities are pretty dead. If its a fuel stop, pick based on price and service. I seem to recall a decent FBO at Charleston, but it's a bit south for you. Maybe one of the relievers around Pottsburgh. There is a Bass Pro shop near Wheeling, but I think the airport is a ways away.

PKB is not a bad fuel stop, with a decent restaurant on the field. Try the homemade pie.

Agree with others that there isn't a ton of interesting stuff to check out along the way, although the scenery can be nice.

I did it the other way non stop.

Around here the airport in the city has pricy fuel. I've been getting mine at MGY and I73 recently.

The stop is for fuel although I should make it with out a problem but I am anal about my fuel. I am taking off from (West Chester) KOQN and landing at (Lunken) KLUK on the 16th and heading out on the 18th. Looking at the chart I may land at Clermont (I69) depending on fees.

Thanks for all the input.

If you don't mind me asking, where in town is your business? Clermont County is fine and dandy but isn't the most continent to the city

Bob, you have lots of airports to land at where there are friends. Duncan is based at HAO, I'm based at I67 (Cincinnati West), and Moose/VanDy are based at I73.

Let us know if you want to have a gathering.

There is also KMGY where I am. Let us know where in CINCY you need to go we can give you travel times.

Oh, Duncan, I had no idea Clermont wore Attends. I just couldn't resist.

There is also KMGY where I am. Let us know where in CINCY you need to go we can give you travel times.

Batter than depends

Good point, Tim, I wasn't sure where you were based. Lots of options.

The stop is for fuel although I should make it with out a problem but I am anal about my fuel. I am taking off from (West Chester) KOQN and landing at (Lunken) KLUK on the 16th and heading out on the 18th. Looking at the chart I may land at Clermont (I69) depending on fees.

Thanks for all the input.

Ask if the MOA is cold. They will route you through if they can.

I've been in to LUK on a regular basis and it's not too bad. Cab downtown is reasonable.
I also went into ISZ (R.I.P.) when I needed to go to the north side.

MGW isn't a bad airport. Neither is AGC.

I am flying in for a PLC programming class. I am not sure where I am staying yet but the class is being held at 1841 Riverside Drive Cincinnati, OH 45202. I was just going to fly around the MOA but I could ask. It would be great to meet up with you Ted and anyone else. If I was landing at LUK I was going got pack my bike and just bike around to save a little money (New business you know). The classes are form 8:30 to 4:30 on the 17 and 18 I was thinking of departing mid day on the 16 but could leave earlier to meet up.

Lumpen is by far the closest to the address you provided. It's an industrial neighborhood, iirc. Don't recall any hotels down there, so likely you're spending the night a bit away from there. I would probably use LUK myself if you can tolerate the fees. Anywhere else and you'll need a rental car.

Lunken is definitely the closest, but as pointed out, there are no hotels in that stretch of the river front. Most are another couple of miles further into town.

However, with your bike, it shouldn't be too bad. Cincy is pretty bike friendly and Riverside Drive/US 52 that runs from LUK to your site and then downtown is designated Ohio Bike Route 1 (though it's not a dedicated trail or even bike lanes).

Price at LUK for fuel: $7.32
Price at I67 for fuel: $5.95

Unless he's Lance Armstrong, he's not going to bike from I67.

Unless he's Lance Armstrong, he's not going to bike from I67.

My point was that he could rent a car, and would have to judge the cost/benefit for himself. His 172 won't take much fuel.

My point was that he could rent a car, and would have to judge the cost/benefit for himself. His 172 won't take much fuel.

He could also land at LUK and fuel up elsewhere.

I would probably stay at LUK, but would at least stop at I67 for a shopping trip:yes:

He could also land at LUK and fuel up elsewhere.

I would probably stay at LUK, but would at least stop at I67 for a shopping trip:yes:

Yeah, but he might be able to get landing fees at LUK waived by buying fuel, and I67 is the wrong way for going home unless he just wants to say hi.

Just do what you want, Bob. :)

Yeah, but he might be able to get landing fees at LUK waived by buying fuel, and I67 is the wrong way for going home unless he just wants to say hi.

Bah, typo

Try I69 for shopping

Well all that I just found out the class was canceled. I will try next month. Thanks for all the input.

I've never paid landing fees at LUK, but I've never stayed longer than a couple of hours. I69 is on his way home, check fuel prices; an 'I flew to Sportys' shirt may have value in Philly, too.

I called LUK and talked to Jessica she told me that they have a security fee of $5, landing fee of $10 (waved if you buy 7 gallons of $7 fuel) then $10 for every overnight stay. Wonder if I should call back and cancel my arrival.

Back