Plane Crashes in to NYC Highrise

Damn it. This is going to suck.

To quote Doc Bruce "sigh".

This will just make 'Da Mayer' more certain he did the right thing closing Meigs!

bstratt said:

This will just make 'Da Mayer' more certain he did the right thing closing Meigs!
The location is about 8 blocks from my home.

I have no information to add... all the local news websites are jammed.

I agree that this is bad news for GA. This could close the NYC Class B Exclusions.... but I surely hope not.
:(

-Skip

Just confirmed on live TV. It was a helicoptor.

I guess the good point is that is wasn't on the west side. It mush have been talking to LGA tower. I am guessing that it was either a helicopter or an anfib.

Watching the live stream on msnbc.com

And there go the first references to 9/11...

sigh...

MSNBC just said that FAA says it was a fixed wing VFR airplane not in contact with ATC.

In other news....

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks slumped Wednesday afternoon on news that an aircraft hit a residential building on the Upper East Side of New York's Manhattan.
The Dow Jones industrial average (down 49.46 to 11,817.71) sank about 0.5 percent with an hour left in the session.

if they werent in contact with ATC, then how would the FAA know if it was a fixed wing or helo?

FlyNE said:
Just confirmed on live TV. It was a helicoptor.

Nope, now they say a fixed wing, possibly a twin. Could be a LGA or TEB departure that got into trouble. Skip, what are the weather conditions

KLGA 111851Z 10013KT 9SM OVC018 18/13 A2988 RMK AO2 SLP118 [FONT=Monospace,Courier]KTEB 111851Z 08007KT 7SM OVC019 17/13 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP115 [/FONT]

Eamon said:
I guess the good point is that is wasn't on the west side. It mush have been talking to LGA tower. I am guessing that it was either a helicopter or an anfib.

It bounced off and landed on the ground.

Can't fly a fix wing on that side of Manhattan without some kind of following or IFR. Too far from the Hudson corridor. Anyplace to check LGA departures?

Just tuned in MSNBC and heard about this. I can't stand the blather from reporters/anchors etc who don't have the faintest idea what they're saying.

No matter what the reason for this (I have my own conjectures but I won't air them) I wonder if people will start clamoring to halt those "deadly" small planes from flying around New York. Bye bye Class B access. Well LET'S HOPE NOT!!!

Did it file a flight plan? :rolleyes:

corjulo said:
Can't fly a fix wing on that side of Manhattan without some kind of following or IFR. Too far from the Hudson corridor. Anyplace to check LGA departures?
This time of day i would bet it was a anfib going to land lower in the east river. You can fly up the east river to 59th st. At 72st you need to be talking to LGA tower. LGA usually wont let a regular fixed on the east river this time of day, but you can get FF 1500 @ ft sometimes.

corjulo said:
It is just at the edge of the East river VFR cutout.
And.
http://www4.passur.com/lga.html
Lots of firetrucks running up 1st ave.
Weather now in NYC isn't too crappy, I can see all the buildings from here.

Eamon said:
1500-2000 ft with great vis..7-12 miles
Looking out my window to the west, visibility is closer to 5 miles in haze. Ceiling reported at 1800 looks about right.

Several stations have picked up a FAA spokesman saying that they weren't talking to this plane which makes it unlikely that the plane came out of LGA.

There is still confusion (duh!) on the TV networks if it was a helicopter or fixed wing. I don't know. I can say most of the VFR traffic in the East River is helo traffic.

The TV coverage is just rediculous. Nobody knows anything but that is not stopping them from talking.

-Skip

I can't believe how screwed we are.

Pilot Witness on CNN says "Its was an airplane, doing aerobatics."

Went on to say he suspects it was an engine failure after departure from LGA

Last edited:
Skip Miller said:
Looking out my window to the west, visibility is closer to 5 miles in haze. Ceiling reported at 1800 looks about right.
That sounds about right. The pilot witness said that it was a steep turn, but he also thought that it might be attempting to head to LGA. Not sure I buy that.

interesting link rob. you can see sever VFR "General Aviation" guys running up and down the hudson (I think) river around a quarter to 2. Some of them blink on and off probably intermittnent transponder or something but hard to tell. of course i have no idea where anything is NY.

infotango said:
That sounds about right. The pilot witness said that it was a steep turn, but he also thought that it might be attempting to head to LGA. Not sure I buy that.
Possibly he was northbound in the corridor and tried a 180? Pure speculation.

And LGA is taking off to the southeast this afternoon = away from Manhattan.

-Skip

ps: Vis is trending downward now. Rain has started.

Wolf Blitzer says its eerily familiar, followed by "A 50 story condominium with flames and smoke"

Wait, how is that familiar? I believe 9/11 was much taller than 50 stories, was not a condo, and involved an airliner.

BTW - 1 fatality confirmed by FDNY.

tonycondon said:
interesting link rob. you can see sever VFR "General Aviation" guys running up and down the hudson (I think) river around a quarter to 2. Some of them blink on and off probably intermittnent transponder or something but hard to tell. of course i have no idea where anything is NY.
This could entirely be coincidence, but if you go to http://www4.passur.com/lga.html and zoom into 5 miles, start it at about 14:47, and watch for a GA plane come up the East River at 1000FT... it winds up right at about 72nd street, if I'm reading the map correctly.

Like I said, could be coincidence, and I'm not terribly familiar with NY, but it seems to add up to me. Again: PURE SPECULATION on my part.

wouldnt surprise me any if its not a coincidence

bstratt said:

He should point out he stills wants a permanent no fly zone first thing in the morning, if he can wait that long.

Skip Miller said:
Possibly he was northbound in the corridor and tried a 180? Pure speculation.

And LGA is taking off to the southeast this afternoon = away from Manhattan.

-Skip

ps: Vis is trending downward now. Rain has started.
That's what I think too Skip. BTW plane crashed a little after 3 PM, fire seems to be out right now.
Its a cirrus 20. I wonder if the explosion was the chute.

Last edited:
BTW - I am listening to the ATC recordings, and they were issuing ILSes to JFK. Defiitely not very good weather at all.

ReverendSlappy said:
This could entirely be coincidence, but if you go to http://www4.passur.com/lga.html and zoom into 5 miles, start it at about 14:47, and watch for a GA plane come up the East River at 1000FT... it winds up right at about 72nd street, if I'm reading the map correctly.

Like I said, could be coincidence, and I'm not terribly familiar with NY, but it seems to add up to me. Again: PURE SPECULATION on my part.
Oh gezzz. I remember reading a post a few weeks ago where Skip? said don't try to do a U-Turn in the east river.

From watching that clip it looks like a plane at 900 ft going up the river tried to maybe get LGA to let them go up & they tried to do a u-turn at the last min.

I Sure hope this isn't what happened.

Skip Miller said:

Several stations have picked up a FAA spokesman saying that they weren't talking to this plane which makes it unlikely that the plane came out of LGA.

There is still confusion (duh!) on the TV networks if it was a helicopter or fixed wing. I don't know. I can say most of the VFR traffic in the East River is helo traffic.

The TV coverage is just rediculous. Nobody knows anything but that is not stopping them from talking.

-Skip
Well, CNN had Miles O'Brien on talking sanity telling about what VFR is and what 1800 foot ceiling and 8 miles vis means and of course, the airhead anchor crew kept cutting him off to inject more stupidity. I wonder how he can stand it.

Watching for the knees to jerk.

Well, I was going to hold on to the plane a while longer to see if I can land in a job soon. This may well change my mind, 'cause I expect flight restrictions and lower plane values.

wsuffa said:
Watching for the knees to jerk.

Well, I was going to hold on to the plane a while longer to see if I can land in a job soon. This may well change my mind, 'cause I expect flight restrictions and lower plane values.

This will pass. It would be worse if it was a suicidal pilot.

Maybe no more Hudson corridor...or Chicago lakefront route.

Ok - LGA was landing runway 4, and also using the ILS. Seems no reports from or to tower around the crash time.

FWIW - LiveATC's archives of TEB at 2:30 eastern is missing now. It was working a few minutes ago.

And CNN is reporting that the airplane departed TEB.

Eamon said:
Oh gezzz. I remember reading a post a few weeks ago where Skip? said don't try to do a U-Turn in the east river.
That was me. On the red board, I think.

-Skip

Back