maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3119860.shtml?cat=1

kfcm.jpg

That'll buff right out.

If they had just had panel-mounted iPads, they would have been fine...

Ebrear Phenom 300 IC. Goofy looking and stuff I would not expect to see on a biz jet.

That's no fun!!! Plane is only a few years old

Plane looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm a little surprised the gear didn't collapse when they hit that embankment.

That's a crash? Well, ok. Looks like a lot of luck was involved in that one.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He just rolled a little long, must have thought he was back in the Fly In community and thought that turnoff was to his house/hangar.

Glad everyone is ok. Plane still usable.

That's the second jet overrun in the last month or so. The last one got stopped before the fence and didn't sustain much damage. That fence was replaced last year after the Mig 21 went through it onto the same road. They may have to look into a crash barrier there!

Here's a dumb question. Is an incident like that disastrous for a jet? I guess sheet metal can get bent and landing gear can get messed up, but if it doesn't collapse, is the repair pretty straight forward?

One of their company aircraft was at STS and was scrambling out there to take over.

Oooooooops.

Here's a dumb question. Is an incident like that disastrous for a jet? I guess sheet metal can get bent and landing gear can get messed up, but if it doesn't collapse, is the repair pretty straight forward?

It might not be strait forward, but if an overall inspection doesn't reveal much damage then it shouldn't be too hard to return the aircraft to service. Hopefully the engines survived. I bet they probably ingested some debris.

Typically no. Easy repair, also no.

A Cessna 525B ran off the runway, busted the left gear completely out and damaged the wing spar in the process, collaped the nose gear, damaged both flaps, both ailerons, engines ingested FOD and were overhauled, etc. Reskinned the left side of the fuselage from the main cabin door aft to the engine pylon.

The airplane took about 18 months to repair but it flew squawk free on the test flight.

If the airplane is out of production, I'd say that significanly increases the chances of repair being uneconomical. The OEM may not have the jigs if needed to repair large components like wing assemblies.

Salvage yards may be the only parts source which comes with a whole new array of unforseen challenges (corrosion, deterioration).

There's some suspicion that the fact that the first 1000 ft of runway 10R slopes up at nearly a 1% grade leads some pilots to aim well beyond the numbers and touchdown zone. In this incident a couple reliable witnesses told me the plane didn't touch down until crossing taxiway F which is almost exactly halfway down the runway.

I know that if I want to land on the first 1000' I have to pitch the airplane up noticeably more than normal in the roundout. AFaIK there's no mention of the upslope in the AFD or any other runway information source.

Good eye - I looked up the diagram on the FAA's site ( http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1308/05094AD.PDF ) and you can _kinda_ deduce that slope by looking at the end elevations and the field elevation. One more thing to look for when scoping out new airports!

I know that if I want to land on the first 1000' I have to pitch the airplane up noticeably more than normal in the roundout. AFaIK there's no mention of the upslope in the AFD or any other runway information source.

Typically no. Easy repair, also no.

A Cessna 525B ran off the runway, busted the left gear completely out and damaged the wing spar in the process, collaped the nose gear, damaged both flaps, both ailerons, engines ingested FOD and were overhauled, etc. Reskinned the left side of the fuselage from the main cabin door aft to the engine pylon.

The airplane took about 18 months to repair but it flew squawk free on the test flight.

that's kinda what I was wondering. Prop strikes and engine overhauls are almost guaranteed in off runway incidents with most of our planes. In a lot of cases, it can result in a salvage since fixing isn't economical. I was wondering if outcomes were a little different when props aren't involved.

that's kinda what I was wondering. Prop strikes and engine overhauls are almost guaranteed in off runway incidents with most of our planes. In a lot of cases, it can result in a salvage since fixing isn't economical. I was wondering if outcomes were a little different when props aren't involved.

Depends on the situation. Engine placement on jets are a huge determining factor. The fact the Phenom didn't bust a gear may help. In fact this plane got very lucky, it came within inches of taking out a fire hydrant. Had it done that, boy oh boy...

It did go through a fence, doesn't sound like much but that could cause the most damage. Any surface that cannot be blended or repaired,will have to be replaced. This plane will go through a lot of non-destructive testing. It looks fantastic in relation to what it went through. I would love to see better pics of the aircraft, but it doesn't look horrible from initial looks.

My personal experience is Phenoms are built VERY VERY light weight and I can't imagine this being an easy repair at all.

There's some suspicion that the fact that the first 1000 ft of runway 10R slopes up at nearly a 1% grade leads some pilots to aim well beyond the numbers and touchdown zone. In this incident a couple reliable witnesses told me the plane didn't touch down until crossing taxiway F which is almost exactly halfway down the runway.

I think they screwed up that runway extension project. I often land beyond the upslope...but I don't need half the runway!

Upslope or downslope, there is no reason for a part 25 aircraft to land much beyond the TDZE. If they were indeed half way down the runway they were well beyond a safe touchdown zone.

...they were well beyond a safe touchdown zone.
I think they proved that point quite well.

My point is that a 1% upslope on the first 1000 ft is something I believe the FAA should notify transient pilots about. The sight picture is pretty unusual and the slope seems to make the top of the rise appear to be much closer to the end of the runway than it really is. But any pilot ought to be able to realize when nearly half the runway has passed and the wheels aren't rolling yet.

Where did you get a 1% upslope from just out of curiosity?

Not sure where the number came from but the elevation difference is significant. When you're at the east end of the airport you are lucky to see the tip of the tail of a Citation ready to depart 10R.

Phenom 300 off end of runway Flying Cloud

Flight Options Phenom 300 with 2 pilots and no pax went off the end of the runway yesterday.

Linky

Re: Phenom 300 off end of runway Flying Cloud

oops, I see someone already posted in Flight Following.

My bad.

Did you notice the worried look on the pilots face in the news video? He was probably thinking of all what was going to be involved in filling out his application form at Yellow Cab Co.

-John

Where did you get a 1% upslope from just out of curiosity?
There's about a 12 foot elevation change from the end of the runway to the high point approximately 1000 ft from the end.

Back