Thinking about selling my Grumman Tiger

tdgrus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tdgrus
Does anyone have any ideas what I should get next, after I sell my Grumman Tiger?:goofy:

Lancair or glassair, maybe a whitelighting if you can find one

The AA5/AA1 planes lead VERY well into high performance aircraft.

Tigers are wonderful. Hope you find something you like better.

Not familiar with the planes I posted eh? ;)

..Never seen a Bo at Reno

Ive heard of all of them expect I have never seen a white lighting, and I fly everything from Grummans to Jets, if it flys I have probably flown it except that white lightning

Was thinking about one of those Bonanza's like you said

Last edited:
This. It's the only candidate that holds a candle to the Grumman in both visibility and handling.

And fuel burn ! If my tiger would have had a constant speed prop I probably would have kept it. Was nice to be able to takeoff in south Florida with the canopy open and then shut it once at cruising altitude.

If you are like almost every other Tiger owner I have met, the answer to your question will be another Grumman Tiger, although you might own something in between.

I am shocked when I meet other Tiger owners how many are on their 2nd or 3rd Tigers, always coming back from Bo's, Mooney's, etc.

Enjoy your time away, we will leave the light on for you.

A navionics with the big engine,make you feel right at home.

What are you trying to achieve with the next plane that the Tiger won't do?

Ive heard of all of them expect I have never seen a white lighting, and I fly everything from Grummans to Jets, if it flys I have probably flown it except that white lightning

Sometimes they just need some positive reinforcement of there choice of aircraft.

I went from a Cheetah to a Mooney M20j, I enjoy the fuel economy and speed increase. +-150knots @ 8.3 gph, LOP

Just curious...

What are your block speeds and fuel burn? Assume a 300 NM trip and no wind.

I don't think you can beat the economy of a tiger versus any retractable 4 banger when you're looking at a measly 300nm trip.

The reasons I went with an arrow over a tiger was because I got better climb rate, more horespower, better avionics in a more commonly available airplane for less money than the available grummans during my search. By no means I would suggest I'm saving any gas or time in the operation of the arrow over the tiger. I suspect the comparison to a mooney 20J for a measly 300NM mission would be equally lopsided in favor of the Tiger. The Tiger could use a C/S prop considering the subpar climb performance. Other than that, it's pretty hard to beat.

I don't think you can beat the economy of a tiger versus any retractable 4 banger when you're looking at a measly 300nm trip.

True, but the reality is that a 300 NM leg is about 2 hours in that airplane and lots of PAX begin to need to stretch their legs or relieve themselves at about that point, so the question stands...

True, but the reality is that a 300 NM leg is about 2 hours in that airplane and lots of PAX begin to need to stretch their legs or relieve themselves at about that point, so the question stands...

In my experience, that biological number is 3 hours, not 2 hours. So I don't think the block time argument is a player here.

In my experience, that biological number is 3 hours, not 2 hours. So I don't think the block time argument is a player here.

Fine. So STFU and let someone who can answer the question step forward.

If the pilot controls the length of the legs, they can be whatever-the-hell-length he says and nobody else gets a vote. At least until they're able to tell him to go pleasure himself and they aren't riding with him again.

If the pax control the leg length, and even if they're able to move around and use the on-board whizzer (real whizzer, not gatorade or Jill/John) they will be wanting a break after a couple hours, 2.5 max.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should get next, after I sell my Grumman Tiger?:goofy:
I think you need a nice, sensible, well equipped Cessna 172.

Wanna trade?

Why do threads always degenerate into this? I was actually learning something. Do you feel better because I don't?

I wasn't trying to stifle the conversation, just offering an opinion. Nice manners internet tough guy.

Just curious...

What are your block speeds and fuel burn? Assume a 300 NM trip and no wind.
I usually plan for ten gallons per hour because on the climb at full throttle and prop, the fuel flow is about 15.8 gph. Even though I get some of that back on decent, I still use 10 gph for planning purposes. 300 NM trip, I would think block time would be around 2.5 hours. At cruise anything about 4000ft, I lean the mixture to about 8.3 gph, 65% power, and the Mooney will cruise at 150-155kts true.

Back