Which Airport in/near Pittsburgh

Walt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FOXMIKE
I will be heading to Pittsburgh in August for a reunion. I was wondering if AGC or Arnold Palmer (Latrobe)would be best. I need a rent car and prefer cheap gas. I will be staying in Monroeville and partying in Little Boston. I have not been to Pittsburgh for many years so opinions about travel times from airports to Monroeville and Little Boston would be appreciated. Would also appreciate opinions on FBOs. Thanks in advance.

I will be heading to Pittsburgh in August for a reunion. I was wondering if AGC or Arnold Palmer (Latrobe)would be best. I need a rent car and prefer cheap gas. I will be staying in Monroeville and partying in Little Boston. I have not been to Pittsburgh for many years so opinions about travel times from airports to Monroeville and Little Boston would be appreciated. Would also appreciate opinions on FBOs. Thanks in advance.

AGC is much closer, LBE is likely less expensive. FWQ has cheaper fuel and is reasonably close to Little Boston, but you won't get a rental car there.

JKG

I travel to Pgh several times a year and use AGC.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Monroeville AP - 4G0. Never been there but it seems to lack services and I chose not to go there even in my old Maule.

I had a friend who used to fly in there on occassion. He crashed and burned there a couple of years ago, no serious injuries, May not be the best place to choose.

I've been happy with the FBO at AGC.

I fly into AGC to when I go and fuel is available and reasonable rental car available people at FBO are nice I think AGC is the best choice

I'm surprised you didn't mention Monroeville AP - 4G0. Never been there but it seems to lack services and I chose not to go there even in my old Maule.
I use AGC as well and it was nice. My parents who pick me up requested not to use that one anymore since it's "inconvenient" and I should use KPIT. (Sigh now I'll probably have to pay landing fees)

I never knew there was an airport in Monroeville! Skyvector says the runway is in bad shape I may have to do a fly over next time I'm up that way.

KBTP Butler County Airport to the north of the city. Not a bad drive to where you want to go.

Would recommend KAGC though, cheaper fuel, but not exactly easy to get to the other side of town.

AGC is in an area that hasn't received any love from the interstate system (and Route 51 sucks). Unfortunately, the closest airport to Monroeville worth considering is AGC. PIT is another alternative, but not only is it farther away, expect fees left and right. Never heard of Little Boston, but Monroeville's about 30 minutes away from AGC and depending on the time of day, 35-350 minutes.

I just read about AGC on airnav too. Probably stopping there on way to osh. 24hr FBO and walking distance to a holiday inn. $89 a night if you meniton voyager FBO.

KBTP Butler County Airport to the north of the city. Not a bad drive to where you want to go.

Would recommend KAGC though, cheaper fuel, but not exactly easy to get to the other side of town.

Butler is a ways away. KAGC is by far the closest, but LBE is the best alternative to AGC for where he wants to go. PIT would require him to go through the city of Pittsburgh and through two tunnels, so not a good option. KAGC is not likely going to be cheaper than anywhere but PIT.

JKG

I wanted to thank all of you for your input. I will probably arrive late on Friday afternoon and hate the thought of negotiating traffic through the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and onto Monroeville. Since I have not lived in Pgh. for 50 years I have little recollection how far the drive is from Latrobe. I remember the Butler airport a little as I checked out in a J-3 there many years ago. Monroeville airport would not work as the runway is a little short and no services. Lots of years ago I caught a ride to the Reading Air Show with a guy who based there. thanks again for the help.
Walt

Talk of AGC brings back good memories. It was our "go to" place for first fuel and pit stop from LGA or TEB enroute back home in the midwest back when singles and twins could use either airport without breaking the bank. Glad to hear that it's still a good place.

4G0 is a cute little airport, but not many would want to use it for a final destination. No fuel, maybe one transient hangar, but a well-kept grounds, runway, and pilot lounge. Owner was very nice but it seemed to be the kind of place weekend flyers are based out of and not much more.
Also, the ride from AGC will probably take you at least 40 minutes depending on time of day, and from my experience the Squirrel Hill tunnel and the rest of the route out to Monroeville is not bad so long as it's not rush hour. PIT should not even be in the equation.

4G0 is a cute little airport, but not many would want to use it for a final destination. No fuel, maybe one transient hangar, but a well-kept grounds, runway, and pilot lounge. Owner was very nice but it seemed to be the kind of place weekend flyers are based out of and not much more.
Also, the ride from AGC will probably take you at least 40 minutes depending on time of day, and from my experience the Squirrel Hill tunnel and the rest of the route out to Monroeville is not bad so long as it's not rush hour. PIT should not even be in the equation.

From AGC, you shouldn't touch the Squirrel Hill Tunnel or downtown Pittsburgh. Same from LBE. As for traffic through the tunnels, it is bad for sure during rush hour, and highly unpredictable at other times. I wouldn't choose that route if I could avoid it. It shouldn't take 40 minutes to get from AGC to Monroeville, but the final destination in Monroeville and the route taken can make a difference in travel time. LBE is farther away than AGC, but perhaps a more predictable drive. For Monroeville and Little Boston, AGC is likely going to be the best bet, even though fees are probably higher than LBE.

JKG

From AGC, you shouldn't touch the Squirrel Hill Tunnel or downtown Pittsburgh. Same from LBE. As for traffic through the tunnels, it is bad for sure during rush hour, and highly unpredictable at other times. I wouldn't choose that route if I could avoid it. It shouldn't take 40 minutes to get from AGC to Monroeville, but the final destination in Monroeville and the route taken can make a difference in travel time. LBE is farther away than AGC, but perhaps a more predictable drive. For Monroeville and Little Boston, AGC is likely going to be the best bet, even though fees are probably higher than LBE.

JKG

True, I just kind of assumed the route would go back over the river and out the Squirrel Hill tunnel. I've never driven there straight from AGC.

Back